Red Man Walking

• Yes

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So we're all agreed that we would prefer his firing over a playoff appearance this year?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
if he stays, Linehan goes. If I have to suffer Garrett, I need a new fucking coordinator.
And that won't help either unless we get an OC who is a bright mind, and just as important, is given free reign to bring in his own scheme and run the offense with complete autonomy.

Linehan may not be a genius, but the guy has been forced to call plays from the same stale ass offense Garrett has been running since 2007.

So unless the new OC is allowed to rid the offense completely of Garrett's stench, we're going to have a lot of the same problems we've had for most of the last 10 years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So we're all agreed that we would prefer his firing over a playoff appearance this year?
Absolutely.

If I thought this team was legitimately good, then I'd say "F it" and roll the dice just as we did in 2014 and 2016.

But this is not a good team. It's a team with a lot of promising young talent and a defense on the rise, but the coaching is poor, the QB is mediocre at best, and we're not good enough in other areas to compensate for our shortcomings.

With a good coach, this team is 8-8 to 10-6 at best.

With Garrett and co., it's 7-9/9-7 and only because the rest of the division is bad.

Hell, even with 2 really good teams in 2014 and 2016, Garrett still failed to get out of the divisional round and made a number of poor coaching decisions in both instances, so what do people think he's going to do with such a flawed team as this one should they make the playoffs? It would just be a big waste of time.

So if I were presented with playoff appearance or Garrett firing, I'm choosing the latter every time.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If they win the division, which they should and likely will, I don't know if even Linehan is gone. I just don't see Garrett being comfortable with some innovative young OC running an offense that different from his.

I guess Jerry could command it like he did when he took playcalling from Jason. But even then, Jason won in forcing Callahan out and hiring his own guy.
The only hope in that case would be that the Jones goofs look at what a difference having a new person in charge of the defense has made on that side of the ball and pretty much force a new OC and new system on Garrett.

The one thing I have enjoyed from this season is seeing how much more aggressive we are on that side of the ball. No more idiotic 3 man rushes on key 3rd downs, for example.

So hopefully the goofs see the benefits that side of the ball received from the coaching and philosophical change and decide to implement the same types of changes on the other side of the ball.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Has Garrett secured his future with a meager 2 game streak?

And if the answer is yes, what is the answer to hiring an OC? I don't see Linehan surviving, period. Who will work with Garrett? Who has a compatible philosophy?
In Jerry's mind, yes.

Even though they won yesterday, I came away with the same disgusting feeling watching Garrett manage the game. He was making some of the same errors that's earned him criticism in the past. He just happened to get away with it yesterday.

Like pretty much settling for that 42 yard FG at the end of the game. You'd think the smug bastard would have learned from his mistakes that occurred not even a month ago against Washington. Nope. This SOB goes out and does the exact same thing. Timeouts in his pocket. Plenty of time on the clock. Shaky kicker who's already missed an XP on the day. Yet this fool still thought it was a good idea to burn clock and essentially settle for a 40+ yard FG as if it were a chip shot. If that kick would have been from 45 it would have missed.

Also, that "atta boy" pat on the head that he gave Lance Lenoir after Lenoir's boneheaded penalty was laughable. Most coaches who demand any kind of discipline and accountability from their players are giving Lenoir an earful as he comes off the field. Instead we get Garrett patting guys on the head as if they just came up with a big play. The only thing missing was his customary clapping. The guy is a loser to his core.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yeah, if ever there was a "grab a player by his face mask" moment, it was Lenoir's fuckup. Can you imagine Red telling a guy to hit the asthma field? Don't make me laugh.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Nope.

If by some miracle we do this, I still want him fired. But we all know there is a better chance of each of us winning the mega millions, so...
I was being facetious about it happening.

But if that did happen, and you still wanted him fired, you would just be hating.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
if he stays, Linehan goes. If I have to suffer Garrett, I need a new fucking coordinator.
I agree with that. I’d want to look elsewhere for OC and QB coach no matter what happens. Need some more ingenuity there if we’re stuck with Dak. Which, if this happens, we are stuck with him.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I was being facetious about it happening.

But if that did happen, and you still wanted him fired, you would just be hating.
No, I would still want him fired because I would know that we caught lightning in a bottle and somehow lucked into winning in spite of him. That our fleeting success would not be sustainable. Which has already been proven to a lesser extent with our two #1 seeds during his time here. With what we did with them, and how we followed them up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean my preference would be to make the playoffs and still fire Garrett. Just not sure if that's an option in Jerry's mind.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I mean my preference would be to make the playoffs and still fire Garrett. Just not sure if that's an option in Jerry's mind.
If we get in, a one and done appearance won't cut it. We must at least play in a divisional playoff game, and if its our first game, we must win for Garrett to stay.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If we get in the playoffs there is no way Garrett is getting canned. It's better to just accept it now because it will save some grief later.

How long did we hang onto Lynn Scott? Garrett is in the family portrait.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Fire Linehan and elevate Kellen Moore to OC.

This team has experience with prematurely promoting crappy QB coaches to OC.

Oh, and Boise State, beeeyotch!!!!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nope. As much as I would like to see Garrett depart the scene I still want to make the playoffs. Perhaps he will get an offer to go elsewhere if the Cowboys have a complete reversal this season. Then I can possibly have it both ways.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Nope. As much as I would like to see Garrett depart the scene I still want to make the playoffs. Perhaps he will get an offer to go elsewhere if the Cowboys have a complete reversal this season. Then I can possibly have it both ways.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we get in the playoffs there is no way Garrett is getting canned. It's better to just accept it now because it will save some grief later.

How long did we hang onto Lynn Scott? Garrett is in the family portrait.
I don't know about that. If we make it in and get embarrassed I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry cut the cord. After this season Jerry is going to either extend Garrett or cut him lose and I can't imagine Jerry is going to want to extend him again if we come off an embarrassing loss in a 9-7 barely make the playoffs kind of season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:rofl

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
We have a GM and a head coach who are otherwise unemployable. For them, this really is the greatest country in the world.

Top Bottom