"Dallas Cowboys Run By Losers"

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why? Dont value the WRs that high or just want to draft a QB there? What if the QBs arent worth it because there is talk about concern over the quality of the QBs this year? Just draft one to draft one?

I'm just wondering and I am on the replace Dak boat as well. I jist dont want to Ryan Leaf it just because. We are also at a disadvantage because I dont believe our braintrust can evaluate them nor develop them. We are going to need a lot of luck.
Yeah I guess my thought is when we do get a young QB handing him the starting job throwing to Swaim, Hurns and Thompson isn't a recipe for success. I like Gallup long term but I'd like to give a new QB someone to throw to. So even if the QB isn't drafted until 2020 let's get the guys in place.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm not hell bent on anything but a 1st round WR doesn't solve any of our problems. Unless he's a no-question elite stud I'd prefer to build in other ways.
Well to me if a WR is BPA then sure. It wont solve all of the problems but you still need talent.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So other than QB, what would you take in the draft to help the offense? Or do you not view the offense as the problem holding this team back?
If there's a QB within reach that makes sense, I'd do that, Otherwise BPA.

Obviously offense is by far our biggest problem but drafting an OL, RB or receiver won't fix it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I guess my thought is when we do get a young QB handing him the starting job throwing to Swaim, Hurns and Thompson isn't a recipe for success. I like Gallup long term but I'd like to give a new QB someone to throw to. So even if the QB isn't drafted until 2020 let's get the guys in place.
You can do that in the 2nd or 3rd though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can do that in the 2nd or 3rd though.
Oh I'm with you on that. There are a few receivers I'd consider in the first of this draft but in an ideal world I'd wait until the second round. I do think a receiver or TE would help this offense a lot.

But I'd also have no problem drafting a DT high. This draft is actually loaded with DTs and a number of them look like great fits as a 3 tech in this defense.

Rev

Staff member
Oh I'm with you on that. There are a few receivers I'd consider in the first of this draft but in an ideal world I'd wait until the second round. I do think a receiver or TE would help this offense a lot.

But I'd also have no problem drafting a DT high. This draft is actually loaded with DTs and a number of them look like great fits as a 3 tech in this defense.
The draft Ed Oliver train is boarding....

Rev

Staff member
We would have to lose out the rest of the season to board that train. At that point I'd be sick if there is no QB worth the pick.
I'm guessing top 5 pick because you know the QBs are going to push the others down a bit. 4 wins at most?? Thats doable. Then again we need a QB, too. Guess it depends on who is in front of us. Giants need a QB. Even the falcons may want to get one ready. Raiders, Steelers, and Bucs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm guessing top 5 pick because you know the QBs are going to push the others down a bit. 4 wins at most?? Thats doable. Then again we need a QB, too. Guess it depends on who is in front of us. Giants need a QB. Even the falcons may want to get one ready. Raiders, Steelers, and Bucs.
Assuming there are QBs. Sometimes you only see one QB go in the top 5. I think this is going to be more like 2017. The only QB who went in the top 5 was Trubisky. Of course the next QB to go was at 10 to the Chiefs and then Watson at 12. Similar class this year if you ask me. Talent is there to have a few possibly go in the first round but they might not all be top 5 material.

Regardless Oliver is probably the first or second defensive players off the board. I'll say second because I think Bosa is going to go higher. DE's are more prized in the NFL because they create more sacks. So I'd say we would need somewhere around the third pick in the draft assuming someone goes QB at the top.But if not Oliver this is still a great class of DTs. Rashan Gary (Michigan), Jefferey Simmons (Mississippi State), Christian Wilkins (Clemson), Dre'Mont Jones (Ohio State) are all potential first round DT's that could play the role of 3 technique in our defense. There are a couple more DTs who could go in the first but I classify them as too big for Dallas to take high.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Already talking draft. Nice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Already talking draft. Nice.
Well when I really have no hope for the season it's all I have. We literally are right near the top of our division but our offense is so bad right now I just don't have any hope.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Just don't know how the draft changes anything. The last few drafts have been pretty productive -- especially by Dallas Cowboy standards.

The team is young and it seems there's a decent core of talent there. Yet on the field they still pretty much suck. That's coaching. Drafting a QB or WR won't change that sad fact.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I have a feeling the WRs will be hung out to dry at the end of it all.

Prescott and Garrett.

Rookie of the Year and Coach of the Year. One last ride.
I won't be surprised if the Joneses try to re-do the post-2015 year. That year they got away with blaming everything on injuries and saying, "No one could have won, it was all circumstances out of our control. Just bad luck. Nothing to see here, we'll get 'em next year" and people seemed to buy it.

We'll have a few more injuries as we go -- like every team -- and they'll put that along with the Fred and Lee injuries to excuse everything away. Stephen will sell a new draft and all the cap space they have to get new receivers/TE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just don't know how the draft changes anything. The last few drafts have been pretty productive -- especially by Dallas Cowboy standards.

The team is young and it seems there's a decent core of talent there. Yet on the field they still pretty much suck. That's coaching. Drafting a QB or WR won't change that sad fact.
We have put a lot into the defense and we are seeing the fruits of that labor pay off. The problem is we literally haven't drafted a good receiver or TE since Dez and Witten like almost a decade or more ago. But the defense is pretty stacked. Although a 3 technique with some ability would be huge. Crawford is average and Irving is doing classic Irving stuff. But other than that the defense looks pretty good. On offense we have the O-line built. Assuming Williams continues to improve we should be set there for a long time. The offense literally needs better coaches and revamped TEs/WRs. I'd love to have an uber talented passer at QB as well. It's not easy to find one but it would go a long ways for this offense. The guy I really like is Drew Lock. He has an absolute rifle for an arm and he can run. It's sort of the Wentz/Mahomes skill set. The funny thing is he has Dooley coaching him now at Missouri (I think he is the QB coach there).

deadrise

DCC 4Life
We have put a lot into the defense and we are seeing the fruits of that labor pay off. The problem is we literally haven't drafted a good receiver or TE since Dez and Witten like almost a decade or more ago. But the defense is pretty stacked. Although a 3 technique with some ability would be huge. Crawford is average and Irving is doing classic Irving stuff. But other than that the defense looks pretty good. On offense we have the O-line built. Assuming Williams continues to improve we should be set there for a long time. The offense literally needs better coaches and revamped TEs/WRs. I'd love to have an uber talented passer at QB as well. It's not easy to find one but it would go a long ways for this offense. The guy I really like is Drew Lock. He has an absolute rifle for an arm and he can run. It's sort of the Wentz/Mahomes skill set. The funny thing is he has Dooley coaching him now at Missouri (I think he is the QB coach there).
OK, let's assume for the sake of discussion your assessment of the Wentz/Mahomes skill set is accurate. What good does it do to have a guy like that come in and be coached by Garrett/Linehan/Moore? Garrett's stone age offense? They'll ruin the guy in the first season.

Rev

Staff member
OK, let's assume for the sake of discussion your assessment of the Wentz/Mahomes skill set is accurate. What good does it do to have a guy like that come in and be coached by Garrett/Linehan/Moore? Garrett's stone age offense? They'll ruin the guy in the first season.
Well you have to do something. The front office isnt going anywhere.

p1_

DCC 4Life
No, cant you see, it took 1.5 seasons to ruin an overachiever?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you have to replace Garrett/Linehan if you do it. Otherwise you might as well just stick with Dak.

I absolutely subscribe to the idea that bad coaches can ruin a QB and that great coaches can develop a QB to greatness.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I get the feeling that whatever magic Dak had is now long gone. Garrett, Linehan and Junior Wannabe have ruined him forever.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The Chiefs bet the ranch in the 2017 draft to get Mahomes. But still, he was 10th overall, not top one, two or three. They let him sit for a year, then trade A. Smith, who was not a great QB, but in their system a damn good QB.

Mahomes steps into the Chiefs Air Raid style offense and starts tearing things up -- because it's similar to the offense he ran in college.

Does that sound remotely like anything that would ever happen in Jerry's organization?

Top Bottom