X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    I'd be cool with drafting a WR high. But I'm not sure we would even do that.
    I’m not sure there is a lot of security in highly rated Wide recievers. A great many are high strung egotistical ball hogs that cause almost as many problems as the rest of the team combined. Anymore you see the media pouring all over the teams that have problematic high dollar receivers. I think there are a lot of really good receivers that can be drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds. To me the first and second round picks are outstanding lineman who are the team anchors and rarely cause problems with their egos.
    Since Day One

Comment

Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post
      I’m not sure there is a lot of security in highly rated Wide recievers. A great many are high strung egotistical ball hogs that cause almost as many problems as the rest of the team combined. Anymore you see the media pouring all over the teams that have problematic high dollar receivers. I think there are a lot of really good receivers that can be drafted in the 3rd or 4th rounds. To me the first and second round picks are outstanding lineman who are the team anchors and rarely cause problems with their egos.
      There are great players available at every position in every round. QB is the one exception because there are so few good ones.

The top 5 WR's in the NFL by yards right now though are

Deandre Hopkins - First Round
      Adam Thielen - Undrafted
      Julio Jones - First Round
      Michael Thomas - Second Round
      Odell Beckham - First Round

You'll find that far more of the top WR's were taken highly in the draft than not.
      Last edited by Cowboysrock55; 10-10-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

There are great players available at every position in every round. QB is the one exception because there are so few good ones.

The top 5 WR's in the NFL by yards right now though are

Deandre Hopkins - First Round
        Adam Thielen - Undrafted
        Julio Jones - First Round
        Michael Thomas - Second Round
        Odell Beckham - First Round

You'll find that far more of the top WR's were taken highly in the draft than not.
        I think a better test might be to see what Teams are still standing in the playoff rounds and see where their wide receivers ranked in the draft. Catching a lot of passes but not going to the dance is a consolation prize. Maybe we can visit this at a later time. I am too lazy at the moment to research the the past few seasons.
        Since Day One

Comment

Originally posted by L.T. Fan View Post
          I think a better test might be to see what Teams are still standing in the playoff rounds and see where their wide receivers ranked in the draft. Catching a lot of passes but not going to the dance is a consolation prize. Maybe we can visit this at a later time. I am too lazy at the moment to research the the past few seasons.
          Well that's going to vary wildly from year to year as every NFL team is constructed differently and NFL teams all find different ways to win games. But if you look in the Superbowl the Pat's and Eagles both sported receivers drafted in the first round last year. Cooks and Agholor are both former first rounders. The Eagles also had Jefferey and Torrey Smith who were former second round picks.

But again you could pick a different Superbowl and the teams will be constructed way differently.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
            How about you get none of these things?

How about they stick with Prescott. Decide to draft a WR high and give Garrett another year?

You good?

Because, you know, there is a distinct fucking possibility this happens just like I described.
            This represents the pinnacle of DFDC.

Comment

I'd be cool with drafting a WR high. But I'm not sure we would even do that.
              I'm not on board with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                This represents the pinnacle of DFDC.
                He isnt wrong, though. It very well could happen.
                #Fire Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                  I'm not on board with that.
                  Why? Dont value the WRs that high or just want to draft a QB there? What if the QBs arent worth it because there is talk about concern over the quality of the QBs this year? Just draft one to draft one?

I'm just wondering and I am on the replace Dak boat as well. I jist dont want to Ryan Leaf it just because. We are also at a disadvantage because I dont believe our braintrust can evaluate them nor develop them. We are going to need a lot of luck.
                  #Fire Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by Rev View Post
                    Why? Dont value the WRs that high or just want to draft a QB there? What if the QBs arent worth it because there is talk about concern over the quality of the QBs this year? Just draft one to draft one?

I'm just wondering and I am on the replace Dak boat as well. I jist dont want to Ryan Leaf it just because. We are also at a disadvantage because I dont believe our braintrust can evaluate them nor develop them. We are going to need a lot of luck.
                    I'm not hell bent on anything but a 1st round WR doesn't solve any of our problems. Unless he's a no-question elite stud I'd prefer to build in other ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                      I'm not hell bent on anything but a 1st round WR doesn't solve any of our problems. Unless he's a no-question elite stud I'd prefer to build in other ways.
                      So other than QB, what would you take in the draft to help the offense? Or do you not view the offense as the problem holding this team back?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rev View Post

Yeah I guess my thought is when we do get a young QB handing him the starting job throwing to Swaim, Hurns and Thompson isn't a recipe for success. I like Gallup long term but I'd like to give a new QB someone to throw to. So even if the QB isn't drafted until 2020 let's get the guys in place.

Comment

Well to me if a WR is BPA then sure. It wont solve all of the problems but you still need talent.
                          #Fire Garrett

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                            So other than QB, what would you take in the draft to help the offense? Or do you not view the offense as the problem holding this team back?
                            If there's a QB within reach that makes sense, I'd do that, Otherwise BPA.

Obviously offense is by far our biggest problem but drafting an OL, RB or receiver won't fix it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                              Yeah I guess my thought is when we do get a young QB handing him the starting job throwing to Swaim, Hurns and Thompson isn't a recipe for success. I like Gallup long term but I'd like to give a new QB someone to throw to. So even if the QB isn't drafted until 2020 let's get the guys in place.
                              You can do that in the 2nd or 3rd though.

Comment

You can do that in the 2nd or 3rd though.
                                Oh I'm with you on that. There are a few receivers I'd consider in the first of this draft but in an ideal world I'd wait until the second round. I do think a receiver or TE would help this offense a lot.

But I'd also have no problem drafting a DT high. This draft is actually loaded with DTs and a number of them look like great fits as a 3 tech in this defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X