Week 5 Game Day Chatter |Cowboys @ Texans | 10-7-2018

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Look at his feet.

He's leaping for the ball and he's completely outstretched his body.

That play is on the QB, period.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would only hate it if the QB drafted was another mid round flyer, or if we passed up on a free agent of note (not that I know of any that will be free agents next year necessarily).

If we are picking 10th or something, and there is a QB on the board, I want to take him, or I even want to trade up to get the right guy.

But if we do that, I am not up in arms simply because Dak is left on the roster.

If we trot him back out there like he's the presumed starter, without making a serious attempt to replace him, like "Oh, maybe this staff will fix him," then that is when I get mad.
Honestly what would make the most sense is to bring in a new coaching staff. Draft a QB in the first and keep Dak as the starter for one more year. Let the young guy learn and probably be in a situation with a Dak Prescott that you could trade for something. Of course the key is the new coaching staff. Preferably someone with experience actually running good offenses.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Honestly what would make the most sense is to bring in a new coaching staff. Draft a QB in the first and keep Dak as the starter for one more year. Let the young guy learn and probably be in a situation with a Dak Prescott that you could trade for something. Of course the key is the new coaching staff. Preferably someone with experience actually running good offenses.
I don't mind bringing Dak back for another year under different coaching so long as the Cowboys don't view that as the solution with no backup plan.

Like you said, we need to be bringing in a young promising prospect or a vet who can win you some games in the interim.

Dak can be given a chance to fight for a spot, but I do not want to see the Cowboys throw all of their eggs in his basket and assume that a new coach is all he needs.

There has to be a contingency in place.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't care if Dak is physically on the roster as long as a new, legit QB of the future has been drafted, or at least was attempted to be drafted.

And I don't mean the old college try like with Paxton Lynch. I mean, doing whatever it takes at whatever price to get up and get a guy you think is your future starter. If it just doesn't materialize, fine, but I mean, the Dallas Cowboys can't be the team that says no on the price, unless it is something insane like 3 first round picks.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I can't find the tweet, but I saw something on twitter that makes Garrett's decision to not go for it in OT even worse.

If you don't wanna go for it there, then why not try the long FG?

But it's 59 yards, you say? Well, that would be the exact same distance in the exact same building that Maher nailed less than 40 days ago to earn a roster spot.

But Garrett will always be a pussy when it matters most and he opted to punt it and give the game away instead.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our LBers actually looked great. I thought LVE struggled a little covering the TE (granted he was pushing off) but otherwise we've got a killer set of LBers for a long time in my opinion.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Our LBers actually looked great. I thought LVE struggled a little covering the TE (granted he was pushing off) but otherwise we've got a killer set of LBers for a long time in my opinion.
If they FINALLY get a NT who can command attention in the middle and plug up multiple blockers, we could have a really good front 7 for years to come.

Enough with these light in the ass guys. Get a plugger and let him wreak havoc.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I can't find the tweet, but I saw something on twitter that makes Garrett's decision to not go for it in OT even worse.

If you don't wanna go for it there, then why not try the long FG?

But it's 59 yards, you say? Well, that would be the exact same distance in the exact same building that Maher nailed less than 40 days ago to earn a roster spot.

But Garrett will always be a pussy when it matters most and he opted to punt it and give the game away instead.
Great point. I haven't even heard anyone mention that today.

I guess if you're Garrett you're thinking about failure either way: Don't make it and you give them great field position. But Gano just made a 63 yarder earlier in the day, and like you say, Maher had already made one from that same distance.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If they FINALLY get a NT who can command attention in the middle and plug up multiple blockers, we could have a really good front 7 for years to come.

Enough with these light in the ass guys. Get a plugger and let him wreak havoc.
Woods is most def a plugger in the middle. Pleasantly surprised.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Damn right.

I've been singing that song for a number of years now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn right.

I've been singing that song for a number of years now.
Yeah I know this has been your position for awhile. I've argued against you on it. But I'm starting to come around. It's painful to watch this coaching staff at this point. I just want them out ASAP.

Last edited:

Hoffa

DCC 4Life

Close, hard-fought losses aren't enough. The decision to punt is certainly one that Garrett may not be able to overcome, but in general I think it's going to take a humiliation like 45-7 at Lambeau Field in 2010 to get Jerry to pull the plug on Garrett.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Close, hard-fought losses aren't enough. The decision to punt is certainly one that Garrett may not be able to overcome, but in general I think it's going to take a humiliation like 45-7 at Lambeau Field in 2010 to get Jerry to pull the plug on Garrett.
It's sad when I watch Iowa games (Ferentz is over the top conservative) and I see more creativity and balls on offense. Unfortunately I think Richard and this defense is too good to see total and disgusting collapses but that doesn't make Garrett any better of a head coach.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah I know this has been your position for awhile. I've argued against you on it. But I'm starting to come around. It's painful to watch this coaching staff at this point. I just want them out ASAP.
It started for me in 2013.

That team struggled all year long and unlike the 2011 or 2012 Cowboys, at no point did they show that they could play good football against good competition.

And as they limped towards the end of 2013, I wanted them to lose out so just maybe Jerry would entertain the idea, but they went and won a meaningless game at Washington which set them up for a season finale vs Philly without Romo.

Talk about a double punch to the nuts.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jax may not have the offense to do it, but they have the defense to do it.

A 24-0 shutout would be just as embarrassing as 45-7.

Top Bottom