Week 5 Game Day Chatter |Cowboys @ Texans | 10-7-2018

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you watch what he is doing now compared to what he was doing his rookie year it's like night and day. They've turned him into a scared little shit. You can't play QB that way.
He was scripted his rookie year after that they threw the playbook at him and he isn't comfortable with a read and react system.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was scripted his rookie year after that they threw the playbook at him and he isn't comfortable with a read and react system.
Then script shit. Everyone else does. But I don't buy that answer at all. Dak played his rookie year from training from a really good college coach. We are seeing less and less of that as his new coaches proceed to hammer into him their shit philosophy.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If you watch what he is doing now compared to what he was doing his rookie year it's like night and day. They've turned him into a scared little shit. You can't play QB that way.

But I could go on and on about how the coaching staffs play calling is fucked up too. We went back to the 1 second play clock bullshit. We ran almost no read option passes. We totally abandon shit that works. We make Dak hold the ball forever on slow developing plays when we can't pass block the guys in front of them. We don't have a receiver with any height and speed. We use our TE's like they are awesome when in reality they suck donkey dick. There is zero well designed quick passes. I could literally go on and on about how terrible the offensive coaching is. They have no clue how to get a QB in a passing rythm. Other QBs miss throws but they are allowed to keep throwing. We miss a throw and we tuck into a ball and hide.
I can't say that you're wrong about any of that, but Dak also looks like he's scared of pressure and that part is not on the coaches.

He's just not the guy, man.

A better coaching staff could get more out of him, but I think he'd always just be a tease like Kordell Stewart or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Moments where they play well followed by the slumps of awful play and disappointment.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then script shit. Everyone else does. But I don't buy that answer at all. Dak played his rookie year from training from a really good college coach. We are seeing less and less of that as his new coaches proceed to hammer into him their shit philosophy.
I know you cant accept that Dak is an enigma and has a lot to do with the his own shortcomings but keep him in the drivers seat and you will still end up in the drink.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Hate on the coaching staff all you want, but if you think another staff is gonna waltz in here and turn Dak into the Pro Bowl QB you've always thought he would be since his charmed rookie season, you've got another thing coming.

This guy cannot pass the ball.

It's not just his wide receivers. It's not just bad playcalling.

This is abysmal, and it's on Dak just as much as it's on anyone else.

He is actually the FIRST one that needs to go (if he can't turn this around); though obviously the coaches can go too at this point.
Not so sure I agree with this. I think Dak needs coaching help, and Romo was that guy who helped him in 2016. I don’t think he is seeing the field and he’s afraid to throw guys open. I think Romo really helped him with those 2 issues his rookie year.

Dak may not be Pro Bowl but he’s certainly better than what he’s shown the last season and a half.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I know you cant accept that Dak is an enigma and has a lot to do with the his own shortcomings but keep him in the drivers seat and you will still end up in the drink.
There is really no debating Cowboysrock on this. He thinks Dak is great and that the coaches ruined him and that another staff is gonna come in here and resurrect Pro Bowl Dak.

This is the same QB that even when the staff schemed around his shortcomings his rookie year, and got the best performances we've ever seen out of Prescott, still couldn't crack more than about 220 yards passing per game.

The guy is just not a proficient passer.

He's not. It's that simple. In an air-raid modern NFL, Prescott belongs to the 1980s or early 1990s. Safe, relying on a run game, don't turn the ball over. He would have been excellent with Parcells in 1990.

But that's not the league we are in.

Defenses are too handicapped, the league promotes the pass too much. If you can't win with the pass, your own defense will eventually get torched and let you down, because that's the way the league is structured.

Prescott simply can't. You can't even rely on a strong running game, because when that gets shut down, as it did yesterday, Prescott had no answers.

This isn't just a coaching problem. There is no offense that Prescott will be able to come in and wing it around and carry an offense by himself. He might look better with a different coach. He might look like a poor man's Cam Newton. Great. And we'll continue to yo-yo in between a little bit of playoff success and being on the outside looking in.

If you want to be a yearly contender, Prescott has to go.

You need your Goff or your Wentz.

Everything else, coaching staff included, is secondary to that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not so sure I agree with this. I think Dak needs coaching help, and Romo was that guy who helped him in 2016. I don’t think he is seeing the field and he’s afraid to throw guys open. I think Romo really helped him with those 2 issues his rookie year.

Dak may not be Pro Bowl but he’s certainly better than what he’s shown the last season and a half.
He probably is "better than this," but that rookie performance was fools gold too. He was heavily reliant on the running game that year as well. Again, he has never shown the ability to drive the ball down the field consistently through the air, not even his rookie year. It's just not who he is.

Lower tier starting QB is his apparent ceiling at this point. And right now, he's not even that.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
He probably is "better than this," but that rookie performance was fools gold too. He was heavily reliant on the running game that year as well. Again, he has never shown the ability to drive the ball down the field consistently through the air, not even his rookie year. It's just not who he is.

Lower tier starting QB is his apparent ceiling at this point. And right now, he's not even that.
Yes I wasn’t stating he is the answer, but I’d love to see what a competent QB coach, a good HC and a better OC would do for Dak.

Like you said, he is nearly back up material now but his rookie season showed promise because he had a QB coach in Romo who helped him understand what was happening on the field.

Me personally? I think the guy is ruined because of Linehan, the dumbass move of promoting a shitty QB to the QB Coach position and last season where Dak was a shell of himself and got no help from anyone.

I’m hoping we can draft Will Grier or someone with a big arm.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Nightmare scenario: Garrett returns and Dak gets a big fat extension. Because Jerry despises change, we all know the chances of this are 80% or better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not even about Dak anymore. No one is going to win with these coaches. It's why Romo couldn't win with them either. But it's easy to just blame Dak. Like I said in overtime Dak was 3-3 for 29 yards. It was the running game that killed us and the coaches were too stupid to realize it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is really no debating Cowboysrock on this. He thinks Dak is great and that the coaches ruined him and that another staff is gonna come in here and resurrect Pro Bowl Dak.

This is the same QB that even when the staff schemed around his shortcomings his rookie year, and got the best performances we've ever seen out of Prescott, still couldn't crack more than about 220 yards passing per game.

The guy is just not a proficient passer.

He's not. It's that simple. In an air-raid modern NFL, Prescott belongs to the 1980s or early 1990s. Safe, relying on a run game, don't turn the ball over. He would have been excellent with Parcells in 1990.

But that's not the league we are in.
First of all fuck off.

Second of all our coaching staff is still stuck in those 1990's if you haven't realize that already. Any idiot can see how terrible they are. Dak has his deficiencies but these coaches are hot garbage. You'll never win with any QB with these coaches.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We just gotta keep losing and losing until the embarrassment becomes too much. Linehan will go first, then we have to lose a few more and look even shittier. With how awful Dak looked last night, I think we can pull it off.
So just keep grinding, stacking days, and let the chips fall where they may?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Dak running out of bounds at the end of regulation was inexcusable. It was 3rd and long and he wasn’t going to pick up the 1st. That’s fine. But DO NOT go out of bounds stopping the clock. Make them either burn their last timeout, or run the clock down to about 40 seconds before you punt. Instead, this dumb fuck dives out of bounds, allowing them to keep the time out while saving the 1:20 or so on the clock.

It was right then at that moment that I started hoping we lose the game. Fuck this coaching staff, and fuck this QB. I hope to God they are both gone next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t know if this has been mentioned, but Dak running out of bounds at the end of regulation was inexcusable. It was 3rd and long and he wasn’t going to pick up the 1st. That’s fine. But DO NOT go out of bounds stopping the clock. Make them either burn their last timeout, or run the clock down to about 40 seconds before you punt. Instead, this dumb fuck dives out of bounds, allowing them to keep the time out while saving the 1:20 or so on the clock.

It was right then at that moment that I started hoping we lose the game. Fuck this coaching staff, and fuck this QB. I hope to God they are both gone next year.
Yeah I would have rather him throw something downfield. His legs bought him all the time he needs. Just take a fucking chance. Throw something deep. If there is a PI awesome. If we catch the ball even better. If it's a pick way down the field who gives a fuck. But don't just give up essentially for a punt leaving them time on the clock. It was absolutely retarded. This offense just gives up so easy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Interesting that these stuck in the 90's coaches made it work with Romo but for some reason can't make it work with Prescott.

Maybe the difference is that Prescott doesn't have the talent of a starting NFL QB.

No one is debating that the coaches need to go at this point and aren't doing Prescott any favors; but it's time for the opposite side of that coin to also be realized -- that Prescott will never be a top QB in this league. He will, at best, be a mid level or bottom tier starter, and that is very much up for debate at this point.

Sean McVay is not going to make Dak a Pro Bowler. That's a delusion. The guy can't pass the ball. And don't fucking tell me it's because of the coaches. Romo passed the ball all day long, so clearly their lack of creativity isn't the limiting factor here.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Interesting that these stuck in the 90's coaches made it work with Romo but for some reason can't make it work with Prescott.

Maybe the difference is that Prescott doesn't have the talent of a starting NFL QB.

No one is debating that the coaches need to go at this point and aren't doing Prescott any favors; but it's time for the opposite side of that coin to also be realized -- that Prescott will never be a top QB in this league. He will, at best, be a mid level or bottom tier starter, and that is very much up for debate at this point.

Sean McVay is not going to make Dak a Pro Bowler. That's a delusion. The guy can't pass the ball. And don't fucking tell me it's because of the coaches. Romo passed the ball all day long, so clearly their lack of creativity isn't the limiting factor here.

What did they make work? Head coach Garrett only had one winning season with Romo.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And maybe Dak doesn't. Although he has won a lot of games in the NFL so it's a little hard to understand how he can outright suck.

But how do you think they made it work with Romo? They managed a whopping 1 playoff appearance with Romo. Or maybe you forget the 3 straight 8-8 seasons Garrett had with Romo. Do you just blindly ignore reality because it makes you feel right? For all the fond memories we have of Romo this team still continually did this 8-8 dance under Romo and Garrett.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What did they make work?
Uh... the passing offense? It never sucked like it does now when Romo was here.

Everything else was shit -- the defense, the OL, the running game schemes, but they knew how to get a quality QB to rack up passing yards.

They didn't just forget.

They are incapable of scheming Prescott to maximize what talent he does have, and that's an indictment of them, but he is never gonna be able to run an offense like Romo could.

Top Bottom