Week 5 Game Day Chatter |Cowboys @ Texans | 10-7-2018

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Wow. That's sickening.

Garrett is such a f'ing coward.

You invest all that money and high draft picks on the OL & RB. Your team is literally built to excel in situations like this and you cower away? :lol

p1_

DCC 4Life
Hate on the coaching staff all you want, but if you think another staff is gonna waltz in here and turn Dak into the Pro Bowl QB you've always thought he would be since his charmed rookie season, you've got another thing coming.

This guy cannot pass the ball.

It's not just his wide receivers. It's not just bad playcalling.

This is abysmal, and it's on Dak just as much as it's on anyone else.

He is actually the FIRST one that needs to go (if he can't turn this around); though obviously the coaches can go too at this point.
It is some of all of this. Dak, the Walmart receiving corps and TE group, Linehan's piss poor offense and Garrett's lack of leadership. A perfect offensive shit storm.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'll say this about not going for it on fourth and 1.

Disappointing because I think you have to be aggressive, but not quite as egregious as some are making it out to be. The Texans had been sniffing that out and hitting us in the backfield all night. I almost would have put in Rod Smith to throw them off the scent and done it that way.
you sum it up in your last sentence. Even you can come up with a "wrinkle". The fact that we didn't try says it all.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
you sum it up in your last sentence. Even you can come up with a "wrinkle". The fact that we didn't try says it all.
Right.

At least TRY something, but you can't punt on the road in OT on 4th and 1 at the opponent's 42.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not this time.

Before, he had Romo and last year he had a soft schedule plus Dez and Witten to help squeak some out late.

Unlike those past seasons, the Cowboys didn't buy themselves some wiggle room early on. The difference is that this team we have an offense with not much talent, a terrible QB, and more importantly, a losing record early into the season.

There will be no bullshit 3 or 4 game late season streak to save that bastard this time.

The Cowboys will not be better than 5-11, so all the ingredients will be there. It's just a matter of how hard Jerry is willing to hold on to Garrett.
Yeah, I thought the previous 8-8 seasons usually had legit excuses; most certainly, the terrible state of the offensive lines.

He has a terrible QB right now, no coach is gonna come in here and win consistently with Prescott, but Garrett's culpable in that to a level that he wasn't with the poor OLs. The poor OL you could lay on Jerry, and Garrett really pushed to fix that.

For better or worse, this is the QB that Garrett named the starter. Even if one argued that Prescott was forced on Garrett (and I'm not arguing that), then it's simple proof that he can't work with Jerry to get adequate talent on the team and we need someone else to bend the owner's ear. This situation with Prescott is not fixable right now; if Garrett can't fix it either through coaching or forcing personnel change then there is no reason for him to be here.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Right.

At least TRY something, but you can't punt on the road in OT on 4th and 1 at the opponent's 42.
Shrinks in the moment of truth. Jerry thinks so too, if you saw his comment. Maybe he's ready to call someone on the carpet. Better yet, move the fuck on.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Because even the homers are tiring of Garrett.

I'm telling ya, Booze. This is the year we have a real shot to finally get rid of him.

Unlike past years, the Garrett hotseat thing is gaining momentum early in the season, not at the end of it.

We just need him to be his shitty self and coach poorly like he always has, and this team will lose double digit games.

There's a real chance this time, I think.
Me if Garrett and Mike Stoops get shown the door in the same year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I couldn't disagree more.

You must not be watching the same games we are because I'm seeing a shell-shocked QB who is having trouble making even the simplest of throws.

The WRs suck, sure. But Dak is playing terribly right now and he is not an NFL starting QB.
Austin was as wide open as wide open can be, and Prescott had to wind up like an MLB pitcher to try to heave the ball to him, and still sailed it so far over his head that it clanged off his fingers and into a DB's arms.

Prescott rarely makes that throw. When he throws over the middle, it's almost always under 10-15 yards, or the receiver has no one anywhere near him.

You have to be able to make that throw the Austin in this league. I don't think Prescott can.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Hate on the coaching staff all you want, but if you think another staff is gonna waltz in here and turn Dak into the Pro Bowl QB you've always thought he would be since his charmed rookie season, you've got another thing coming.

This guy cannot pass the ball.

It's not just his wide receivers. It's not just bad playcalling.

This is abysmal, and it's on Dak just as much as it's on anyone else.

He is actually the FIRST one that needs to go (if he can't turn this around); though obviously the coaches can go too at this point.
Your post would carry a little more weight if it weren't for the fact that many of these problems pre-date Dak's arrival in Dallas. The only thing Dak is responsible for is shining an even brighter light on Garrett's shortcomings as a head coach. And for that, I am eternally grateful to Dak.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We never had the problems passing the ball that Dak is having before Dak got here.

Or, well, when we did, it was with other QBs who don't have a role as starters in this league, like Brandon Weeden.

That's what Dak is right now. He's closer to Brandon Weeden than Tony Romo.

1bigfan13

Staff member
We never had the problems passing the ball that Dak is having before Dak got here.

Or, well, when we did, it was with other QBs who don't have a role as starters in this league, like Brandon Weeden.

That's what Dak is right now. He's closer to Brandon Weeden than Tony Romo.
See, you're focusing on just the passing aspect of the game. Last time I checked the head coach is responsible for a helluva lot more than just the QBs performance.

Garrett has a lengthy laundry list of games that he's mismanaged. Last night's 4th and 1 punt in OT goes on that list. That's the kind of stuff that you can't put on Dak. Stuff like that has been going on long before Dak put on a Cowboys uniform.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
See, you're focusing on just the passing aspect of the game. Last time I checked the head coach is responsible for a helluva lot more than just the QBs performance.

Garrett has a lengthy laundry list of games that he's mismanaged. Last night's 4th and 1 punt in OT goes on that list. That's the kind of stuff that you can't put on Dak. Stuff like that has been going on long before Dak put on a Cowboys uniform.
Right on.

Garrett has held this team back for a very long time and his shit brand of coaching cost us in the playoff game in 2016 and his stank was on the 2014 loss as well.

He's been a problem long before Dak ever arrived, this just allows all of that to come to light.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I hope Dak is saving the money he is making from all those endorsements he got after his rookie year.

It's over.

He's backup quality.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Excuse me, coach. What the fuck?!

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I thought the previous 8-8 seasons usually had legit excuses; most certainly, the terrible state of the offensive lines.

He has a terrible QB right now, no coach is gonna come in here and win consistently with Prescott, but Garrett's culpable in that to a level that he wasn't with the poor OLs. The poor OL you could lay on Jerry, and Garrett really pushed to fix that.

For better or worse, this is the QB that Garrett named the starter. Even if one argued that Prescott was forced on Garrett (and I'm not arguing that), then it's simple proof that he can't work with Jerry to get adequate talent on the team and we need someone else to bend the owner's ear. This situation with Prescott is not fixable right now; if Garrett can't fix it either through coaching or forcing personnel change then there is no reason for him to be here.

Much as I like Dak and root for him, after last night I don't think he's the answer. He missed some easy throws early on. It may be that Garrett, Linehan and Moore have ruined him. But it doesn't matter. He's clutching, pressing, looks ill at ease -- a reflection of Garrett's whole approach to the game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I hope Dak is saving the money he is making from all those endorsements he got after his rookie year.

It's over.

He's backup quality.
I actually was thinking about that myself last night.

He better enjoy that money because those sponsors jumped the gun and they won't be renewing their deals with him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Much as I like Dak and root for him, after last night I don't think he's the answer. He missed some easy throws early on. It may be that Garrett, Linehan and Moore have ruined him. But it doesn't matter. He's clutching, pressing, looks ill at ease -- a reflection of Garrett's whole approach to the game.
Even if you believe that this coaching staff has rubbed off on him negatively, people need to remember that he wasn't this great passer in college either.

This isn't some 1st round can't-miss prospect here. He had a 4th round grade for a reason.

This is exactly why people need to pump the brakes with all of this "All Dak needs is a better coach" stuff.

He's never been an exceptional passer and it's not likely that he ever will be.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It's over.

He's backup quality.
Agree. Now I will go inside before lighting strikes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if you believe that this coaching staff has rubbed off on him negatively, people need to remember that he wasn't this great passer in college either.

This isn't some 1st round can't-miss prospect here. He had a 4th round grade for a reason.

This is exactly why people need to pump the brakes with all of this "All Dak needs is a better coach" stuff.

He's never been an exceptional passer and it's not likely that he ever will be.
If you watch what he is doing now compared to what he was doing his rookie year it's like night and day. They've turned him into a scared little shit. You can't play QB that way.

But I could go on and on about how the coaching staffs play calling is fucked up too. We went back to the 1 second play clock bullshit. We ran almost no read option passes. We totally abandon shit that works. We make Dak hold the ball forever on slow developing plays when we can't pass block the guys in front of them. We don't have a receiver with any height and speed. We use our TE's like they are awesome when in reality they suck donkey dick. There is zero well designed quick passes. I could literally go on and on about how terrible the offensive coaching is. They have no clue how to get a QB in a passing rythm. Other QBs miss throws but they are allowed to keep throwing. We miss a throw and we tuck into a ball and hide.

Top Bottom