Week 4 Game Day Chatter | Lions and Cowboys | 9-30-2018

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Huge disappointment when Prescott completed that long pass to Beasley for first and goal at like the 6 and then we didn't score. I hated that playcalling sequence especially the third down jump ball to Gathers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was solid but the Lions are not worldbeaters.

He needs that performance every week with occasional days that are even better. Without it, he’s not a franchise QB.
So basically the worst he should do is a 118 QB rating and 9.4 yards per attempt? You are a hard one to please.

data

Forbes #1
Ravens, you fucking idiot. Fumble on 1st and goal.

Ravens should be up 28-3. Instead, overthrown wideopen Crabtree and this fumble from the 2 yard line.

data

Forbes #1
So basically the worst he should do is a 118 QB rating and 9.4 yards per attempt? You are a hard one to please.
Romo wasn't a franchise QB, either, so it's fair.

According to this defnition, only Rodgers, Brees, Manning and Brady have been franchise QBs the last 10 years.

data

Forbes #1
To put things in perspective, what posters were posting on the DCC when Terrell Suggs started playing?

He's still playing, still starting and banging out there on the field.

We're just typing on a keyboard and Suggs has outlasted the majority of us.

data

Forbes #1
:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He doesn't need a 118 rating every week, come on, that's asinine.

He needs to move the ball that well through the air, see the field that well, make up for some shortcomings (like at WR) that well, etc.

I actually think Zeke was the prime mover though; so I'm not laying this win all on Dak's lap. Dak was good. He was not called on to be great and that's fine. If he could put up roughly 250 and 2 TDs every week, no one would complain with this running game. That seems to be the formula with him though.... Dak needs Zeke to be Zeke before he can get going himself. The line also had it's best game.

I thought early on he missed a bunch of stuff, though. Later in the game he seemed to heat up a bit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He needs to move the ball that well through the air, see the field that well, make up for some shortcomings (like at WR) that well, etc.

I actually think Zeke was the prime mover though; so I'm not laying this win all on Dak's lap. Dak was good. He was not called on to be great and that's fine. If he could put up roughly 250 and 2 TDs every week, no one would complain with this running game. That seems to be the formula with him though.... Dak needs Zeke to be Zeke before he can get going himself.

I thought early on he missed a bunch of stuff, though. Later in the game he seemed to heat up a bit.
It wasn't perfect. There are about 3 plays by Dak that I really didn't like. There was the sack that took us out of field goal range. There was high throw to Jarwin that still hit his hands. And then there was the throw to Smith when had he stuck with Hurns would have been a TD. But no QB is perfect. They all miss a thing or two.

I didn't see this load of stuff he was missing early. Receivers dropped some great throws early. I thought the refs let the Lions get away with mugging our receivers a ton. But in totality it was a great game. Now I'd like to see him do it against a better defense. If he does this against the Texans I will be more excited. Their pass rushers make me nervous. We have not done a great job blocking high end pass rushers this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's amazing how we keep finding the banana peel. Refs screwed us over a bit but no excuse for the defense no-showing in the 4th qtr.
I'm sure as a Browns fan it's just exciting to see competitive football again. Mayfield made some dumb mistakes today but he also makes some stellar throws.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Lions pass defense had only given up 152 YPG passing coming into the game, which was best in the league, and they went up against Garoppolo and Brady, along with Darnold. It's not exactly Brady/Rodgers/Brees but it's not Gabbert/Bradford/Allen either.

I definitely don't think their pass defense is actually the best in the league, and they were without their best pass rusher of course, but the Lions definitely have a solid pass defense. Slay in particular is one of the best CB's in the league.

At any rate, Elliott clearly was the spark plug today and everything just runs smooth when he's churning out 5 YPC. Prescott definitely made some awesome throws but his pocket presence really bothered me (the sack that took us out of FG range in particular) and the play design/play-calling still looked uninspired.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was so glad to see us utilize hurry up today. I think Dak plays so much better when we do. Hell our whole offense seems to.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I actually think Zeke was the prime mover though; so I'm not laying this win all on Dak's lap. Dak was good. He was not called on to be great and that's fine. If he could put up roughly 250 and 2 TDs every week, no one would complain with this running game. That seems to be the formula with him though.... Dak needs Zeke to be Zeke before he can get going himself. The line also had it's best game.

Zeke was phenomenal today.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It definitely is way overrated.
I don't know that I agree with that. It has a pretty high correlation with winning football games. But I guess if you think it's the end all be all, I'd agree it's overrated.

I really think YPA is important though. And 9.4 YPA is a great number.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Lions run defense was last in the league in YPG coming into today, which is probably the reason their passing YPG is so low. With that said, Elliott looked back to his normal self against the Seahawks as far as just running the ball, and based on his patterns in previous years I think what we're seeing now is closer to the norm than the first 2 weeks.

Top Bottom