Week 4 Game Day Chatter | Lions and Cowboys | 9-30-2018

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How will referees call roughing the passer on this week?
Posted by Mike Florio

So will the emergency conference call of the NFL’s Competition Committee that resulted in in no changes to the roughing the passer rules change the roughing the passer rules? Well, we’ll see.

I say that not because I’m channeling Bill Belichick, but because there’s very real uncertainty as to what will happen, given an apparent disconnect between the Competition Committee and the league office.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Competition Committee wants the referees to call roughing the passer only when it’s obvious, deferring to the league office to levy fines against players who are determined after the fact to have crossed the line. But that may not be how it plays out on Sunday and Monday night.

According to the source, NFL senior V.P. of officiating Al Riveron informed the referees on a Saturday conference call that they should continue to call roughing the passer if they see roughing the passer, and if they believe it is roughing the passer. In order words, Riveron did not tell the referees to back off, in any way.

And therein lies the potential conflict between the committee that crafted the point of emphasis as part of the normal rule-making process in the spring and that now apparently wants to adjust it on the fly. It could lay the foundation for potential friction between the league office and the Competition Committee, if the referees proceed as instructed by Riveron and call what they see, uninfluenced by the consternation from coaches, players, fans, and media about the effort to ensure that the league’s starting quarterbacks will be able to continue to play quarterback without being injured by defensive players who are trying to knock them out of games by crushing their chests or busting their shoulders.

Where it goes from here will hinge in large part on whether: (1) Sunday’s games involve hits that are close to the line; and (2) the referees opt to throw flags if they think a hit crosses the line. If the close calls continue, the biggest story of the season so far could continue to get bigger.

They have got to stop with this whole "landing on the QB" bullshit.

Cotton

Staff member
Fuck it, I'm gonna throw a prediction out there.

Lions - 35

Cowboys - 17

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Detriot 3
Texas 0

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
So who all in here will be all :towel when the Lions score? Serious question. I'm damn close to that myself.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So who all in here will be all :towel when the Lions score? Serious question. I'm damn close to that myself.
I dont know about towel waving but I wont be upset. Its all for the greater good, though.

Cotton

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Lions 24 Cowboys 13

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Offense will look better this week. Going Dallas 24 Detroit 17.

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would've been a year ago or in other recent years when I really really wanted them to lose because I was hoping that it might result in Garrett being fired.

But this year, I don't have the same attitude towards it. Yes, I really want them to lose so Garrett gets canned, but I don't feel the same way as I did before and I can't really explain why.

I guess I'm kind of in a matter-of-fact state of mind with our current situation to where I just want to see the necessary things take place to get us to the point where change occurs, so I view the losses as a means to an end moreso than a -- "LULZ at the Cowboys that's what you get Jerry!" -- sort of thing.

My wish remains the same but my outlook has changed on it.

So yes, Go Lions, but with less fanfare than before.

Let's just finally get this shit done.

Cotton

Staff member
I would've been a year ago or in other recent years when I really really wanted them to lose because I was hoping that it might result in Garrett being fired.

But this year, I don't have the same attitude towards it. Yes, I really want them to lose so Garrett gets canned, but I don't feel the same way as I did before and I can't really explain why.

I guess I'm kind of in a matter-of-fact state of mind with our current situation to where I just want to see the necessary things take place to get us to the point where change occurs, so I view the losses as a means to an end moreso than a -- "LULZ at the Cowboys that's what you get Jerry!" -- sort of thing.

My wish remains the same but my outlook has changed on it.

So yes, Go Lions, but with less fanfare than before.

Let's just finally get this shit done.
I just don't think I would be honest with myself if I waved the towel after someone scored on the Cowboys. It would be disingenuous for me. That being said, it will not make me mad or sad in the least if we get beat by 3 TDs. Garrett has got to go. If that means having to endure a few Sundays of losses then so be it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just don't think I would be honest with myself if I waved the towel after someone scored on the Cowboys. It would be disingenuous for me. That being said, it will not make me mad or sad in the least if we get beat by 3 TDs. Garrett has got to go. If that means having to endure a few Sundays of losses then so be it.
I think another important factor as to why I'm not as riled up about it this time around is because there's a (Not to be overly dramatic) sort of peace about it this time.

Before, I was hoping that the Cowboys losing would be enough. This time, I think it's inevitable. And I think because I genuinely expect it to happen that I'm not as rah-rah about it.

The offense is terrible and all of us here know that it's going to remain that way for the rest of the season. And if the offense remains in this state, there's no way the Cowboys can win more than 5 or 6 games. So being as I expect this season to go this way, I am very confident that Garrett will finally get the axe.

When that happens, then the towel-waving will come but only for a moment. We then have to see who the stooge family goes after next.

But step 2 can't happen without step 1 so I'm just counting down the days until I can pop the champagne on the latter.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Lions 24 Cowboys 13
This is what I hope happens.

I also have the Cowboys losing, but I think they'll get something going on the ground that will allow them to move the ball a little more consistently, hence my prediction of Lions 23 Cowboys 17.

But the best thing that can happen is for them to lose while the offense continues to look putrid.

Another 13 point or less performance and the scrutiny just heats up more and more and more.

I hope you're right with your prediction.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
This is what I hope happens.

I also have the Cowboys losing, but I think they'll get something going on the ground that will allow them to move the ball a little more consistently, hence my prediction of Lions 23 Cowboys 17.

But the best thing that can happen is for them to lose while the offense continues to look putrid.

Another 13 point or less performance and the scrutiny just heats up more and more and more.

I hope you're right with your prediction.
Hopefully our one TD is by the Defense too

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Detroit 26
Cowboys 10

I think the defense plays well early but tires from having to be on the field too long. As a result, Detroit will do most of their damage in the second half.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Offense will look better this week. Going Dallas 24 Detroit 17.
Now that's what I call wishful thinking. Aside from what big play to Tavon Austin 2 weeks ago, this offense has done next to nothing to suggest that they're putting it together.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm just passing time until the Browns game. I'll probably be on jumping around and on Red Zone during most of the 1 o'clock games.

Top Bottom