A Football Life: Tony Romo

kidd

DCC 4Life
IIRC, the present was an old, injured QB who could no longer make it through a full game.

And the last full game that he did mange to play (Miami 2015) he looked pretty average while throwing about 2 or 3 INTs.

Now those are FACTS. Not the flawed perception/fantasy that you keep crowing about.
:lol

Funny how everyone wants to tell everyone else how that one drive Romo had in the season finale against PHILLY doesn’t count as a litmus test to how well he would do in the playoffs; yet they wanna hang their predictions on a game in 2015 when Romo came back too early from injury to try to keep the team’s playoff hopes alive.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
IIRC, the present was an old, injured QB who could no longer make it through a full game.

And the last full game that he did mange to play (Miami 2015) he looked pretty average while throwing about 2 or 3 INTs.

Now those are FACTS. Not the flawed perception/fantasy that you keep crowing about.
I think the game you are thinking about was the Carolina game in 2015. Carolina had a fantastic defense that year.

I believe we lit up Miami the week before. Romo was 3-1 that season with Joseph freaking randle as his RB. The team was 1-11 without him.

THOSE are facts.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think the game you are thinking about was the Carolina game in 2015. Carolina had a fantastic defense that year.

I believe we lit up Miami the week before. Romo was 3-1 that season with Joseph freaking randle as his RB. The team was 1-11 without him.

THOSE are facts.
No those aren't FACTS.

It was Miami. Because I was in Miami when the Cowboys came to Miami and Romo looked average at best that day. He followed up up that Miami game with an even worse performance against the Panthers 4 days later on Thanksgiving.

So basically the last time we saw Romo play any meaningful football in length, he looked like one of Campo's QBs from the 2000-2002.

Hate to break it to you, but those are the facts.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I keep pointing out 2015 to those trying to repaint Romo's history.

The last time we watched Romo as the Cowboys starter he wasn't very good. In 3 of the 4 games his performances should be categorized from bad to average. He wasn't performing like a top QB. His one good game came with 2 INTs.

Assuming that the 2014 version of Romo was going to show up in 2016 was wishful thinking. Built on nothing but hope, nothing tangible.

Peyton Manning was the league MVP in 2013 but looked like hot garbage by the end of 2014. The same thing happened to Favre his last year in the league. Some of these guys, particularly those dealing with significant injuries, lose it virtually overnight. Romo was in that category, IMO.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No those aren't FACTS.

It was Miami. Because I was in Miami when the Cowboys came to Miami and Romo looked average at best that day. He followed up up that Miami game with an even worse performance against the Panthers 4 days later on Thanksgiving.

So basically the last time we saw Romo play any meaningful football in length, he looked like one of Campo's QBs from the 2000-2002.

Uh, Geng did post facts. You may have other facts, but his are still facts.

3-1 with him, 1-11 without him is a fact.

Also, in that Miami game, Romo was 18-28 for 227 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, which are numbers that Prescott would only dream about at this point and probably has us at like 4-1 this season if we were getting those averages right now.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Uh, Geng did post facts. You may have other facts, but his are still facts.

3-1 with him, 1-11 without him is a fact.

Also, in that Miami game, Romo was 18-28 for 227 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, which are numbers that Prescott would only dream about at this point and probably has us at like 4-1 this season if we were getting those averages right now.
We're not discussing 2018 Dak vs 2016 Romo.

We're comparing the 2016 versions of both players. I think Dak was the better player that year. Sure he was a one year wonder, but for that one year many can legitimately argue that he was superior to an older, injury-riddled Tony Romo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We're not discussing 2018 Dak vs 2016 Romo.

We're comparing the 2016 versions of both players. I think Dak was the better player that year. Sure he was a one year wonder, but for that one year many can legitimately argue that he was superior to an older, injury-riddled Tony Romo.
I thought the discussion was who was better prepared to start in the playoff game Romo and his experience or Dak with his lack of experience.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I thought the discussion was who was better prepared to start in the playoff game Romo and his experience or Dak with his lack of experience.
We are.

I'd still take Dak. He played well that game. He started slow, but hell Romo has started slow in playoff games as well.....2007 NYG & 2014 against Detroit. Slow starts on offense come with the territory with Garrett running the show.

Dak had the late game INT as well as we all know, but he overcame that and put his team in position to win. But again, Romo's thrown his fair share of boneheaded INTs in playoff games and in "win or go home" games as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We are.

I'd still take Dak. He played well that game. He started slow, but hell Romo has started slow in playoff games as well.....2007 NYG & 2014 against Detroit. Slow starts on offense come with the territory with Garrett running the show.

Dak had the late game INT as well as we all know, but he overcame that and put his team in position to win. But again, Romo's thrown his fair share of boneheaded INTs in playoff games and in "win or go home" games as well.
Ok. But you know that your choice ended up short. We will never know about the other possibility.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Not to get OT, but I loved the stories about Tony throwing every single day for 10 years, about throwing balls into his couch to perfect his delivery, etc. We've heard about what a great work ethic Dak has but I wonder if he's doing that. Somehow I doubt it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Maserati was fixed.
I'm sure that's what you thought going into the season as well, and all it took was one drive in the preseason to get hurt again.

You guys just have some serious revisionist history going on.

Why do you just automatically assume he was going to go in there and tear it up? Did you forget how bad he looked in 2015 in the few games he played before he re-injured the collar bone?

And yet some of you act like it was an absolute guarantee that he would've played that Green Bay game and just lit up.

There is no basis whatsoever for that argument.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I have much more of an appreciation for Romo now than I did when he was active.

I truly believe that had a good coaching staff been put around him, he would've won a Super Bowl.

In fact, I think you can replace Roethlisberger with him on those Steelers teams and he would've won a few just as Ben did.

Having said that, some of you guys need to stop living in this alternate reality where Romo was Tom Brady. He was a flawed QB who could really stink up the joint at times.

Furthermore, he never had what I would consider a great playoff performance. He played pretty well against Philly in 2009 and very well against Detroit in 2014, but he never had a truly great performance and that includes 2014 when most believe that was his career year.

Tony Romo played in 6 playoff games and failed to hit the 200 yard mark in 3 of those games. He never once broke 300 yards and never threw more than 2 TDs in any of those games. And yet some of you act like it was an absolute guarantee that he would've gone into that Green Bay game in 2016, fresh off ANOTHER injury, and would have just lit it up.

Come on, guys.

It's ok to have your opinion and I understand the logic in wanting to go with the superior passer. But the odds were very much against Romo playing any better than Dak did that game given his injury history, his history in coming back from injury, and his career playoff output.

This is a stupid and tired argument and it needs to just go away already.

Move on.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Not to get OT, but I loved the stories about Tony throwing every single day for 10 years, about throwing balls into his couch to perfect his delivery, etc. We've heard about what a great work ethic Dak has but I wonder if he's doing that. Somehow I doubt it.
There are times when I wonder if Dak has ever thrown a football. Most of his throws are in the vicinity, but rarely does he hit a guy in stride.

Dak reminds me way too much of McNabb with the grounders he throws regularly. Dak is playing like a short term backup QB right now. Everything in front of the sticks, and mostly safe throws to RBs and TEs. He’s playing scared. He’s been figured out and he has no answer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have much more of an appreciation for Romo now than I did when he was active.

I truly believe that had a good coaching staff been put around him, he would've won a Super Bowl.

In fact, I think you can replace Roethlisberger with him on those Steelers teams and he would've won a few just as Ben did.

Having said that, some of you guys need to stop living in this alternate reality where Romo was Tom Brady. He was a flawed QB who could really stink up the joint at times.

Furthermore, he never had what I would consider a great playoff performance. He played pretty well against Philly in 2009 and very well against Detroit in 2014, but he never had a truly great performance and that includes 2014 when most believe that was his career year.

Tony Romo played in 6 playoff games and failed to hit the 200 yard mark in 3 of those games. He never once broke 300 yards and never threw more than 2 TDs in any of those games. And yet some of you act like it was an absolute guarantee that he would've gone into that Green Bay game in 2016, fresh off ANOTHER injury, and would have just lit it up.

Come on, guys.

It's ok to have your opinion and I understand the logic in wanting to go with the superior passer. But the odds were very much against Romo playing any better than Dak did that game given his injury history, his history in coming back from injury, and his career playoff output.

This is a stupid and tired argument and it needs to just go away already.

Move on.
I agree with all of this. I was a huge Romo fan when he was here. I didn't even start wanting to draft a QB until his injuries stacked up to the point that we knew they were coming. And every time he got hurt we weren't capable of doing anything. But the one constant with this shitty up and down team through all these years has been Garrett. This thought that a QB was somehow going to be a savior is foolish. This is a horrible coaching staff that would have found a way to fuck it up regardless. Just like they always have and just like they continue to do.

Hell I've even said I'm totally ok drafting a QB high next year. I'd be all for it. But it's a waste with this coaching staff. We'd just be wasting another QBs career at this point.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This thought that a QB was somehow going to be a savior is foolish. This is a horrible coaching staff that would have found a way to fuck it up regardless. Just like they always have and just like they continue to do.
That's exactly right.

Dak's lone INT in that Green Bay game came on and 2nd and 1 out of the shotgun empty backfield set after Zeke gained 9 on 1st down and was having a very good day on the ground.

And remember the previous playoff game vs Green Bay? One of the key moments that gets overlooked in that game was the end of the half.

It's 3rd and 1 and the Green Bay 30 or so. We've scored 14 unanswered points and the team is in a groove. Green Bay is on their heels and we have a chance to really put them in a bind going into the half.

Up to that point in the game, we were 4 for 4 on 3rd and 1 in that first half when giving it to Murray. FOUR FOR FOUR!

So what do we do? We lineup in the shotgun and throw it deep, it falls incomplete, Bailey missed the FG and Green Bay gets a FG right before the half to turn would could've been a 21-7 halftime lead into a 14-10 lead.

Point being, no matter who the QB is or was, it wouldn't stop Jason Garrett from being Jason Garrett. And that's just one of the many hurdles we would have had to overcome along with the others that have already been mentioned.

There were no guarantees for Romo in that 2016 game.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

No those aren't FACTS.

I don't think you know what a fact is.

Genghis Khan

Of course there were no guarantees in 2016 even with Romo. I don't recall anyone saying Romo was going to be a savior or that he's Brady.

He's simply a much better QB than Dak and a better QB gives you a better CHANCE.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Of course there were no guarantees in 2016 even with Romo. I don't recall anyone saying Romo was going to be a savior or that he's Brady.

He's simply a much better QB than Dak and a better QB gives you a better CHANCE.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp.
The part that you aren't grasping is that the better QB does give you the better chance at face value.

But you guys are omitting a lot of variables that turns this into a much more complicated situation than you're making it out to be.

If you take 2014 Romo and could guarantee me that this is the guy who would be playing for Dak on that day, then hell yes I want him in there. But it wasn't 2014 Romo.

It was 2016 Romo who was coming off serious injuries in 2 consecutive seasons ad who had only played roughly 8 games of football in 2 years. You absolutely have to take that into account.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't think you know what a fact is.
I know what a fact is. I just didn't realize you were propping up Romo's meager 2015 performances by comparing them to what the team looked like with Weeden and Cassel at QB.

If it helps you feel better, I'll concede that the team looked better in 2015 with busted up Romo at QB than with other two trash QBs starting.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm sure that's what you thought going into the season as well, and all it took was one drive in the preseason to get hurt again.

You guys just have some serious revisionist history going on.

Why do you just automatically assume he was going to go in there and tear it up? Did you forget how bad he looked in 2015 in the few games he played before he re-injured the collar bone?

And yet some of you act like it was an absolute guarantee that he would've played that Green Bay game and just lit up.

There is no basis whatsoever for that argument.
Conversely there is no basis for saying he wouldn't.

Top Bottom