A Football Life: Tony Romo

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Anyone watch that Tony Romo 'A Football Life'?

I've watched about 20 minutes so far. There is one scene where Jerry Jones is re-telling how he and Parcells tried to strong arm Romo into signing a "team friendly" contract back in 2006.

After the negotiations were done Jerry says that Parcells jumped up and grabbed him in excitement while gushing over Romo's coolness under pressure. :lol

Somehow I don't think it went down like that. That doesn't seem like Parcells character at all. I think Jerry was just laying it on thick, as usual.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Airs again tonight at 10 EST or you can watch this:

I don't think I can stomach this right now considering how shitty our QB situation at moment.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I enjoyed it and frustrated at his situation as well.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Another somewhat interesting part was when he talked about overruling Garrett's play call in the 2011 OT game against the 49ers.

Garrett had called some kind of conservative comeback play, but Romo was like nah, screw that we're running Joker, a more aggressive play.

That's pretty much what a QB has to do in Garrett's scheme. He has to be able and willing to override the coaching's staff's conservative play calling.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another somewhat interesting part was when he talked about overruling Garrett's play call in the 2011 OT game against the 49ers.

Garrett had called some kind of conservative comeback play, but Romo was like nah, screw that we're running Joker, a more aggressive play.

That's pretty much what a QB has to do in Garrett's scheme. He has to be able to and willing to override the coaching's staff's conservative play calling.
Yep and Dak doesn't have the balls to do that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Last edited:

kidd

DCC 4Life
IIRC, Romo did it his rookie year in the preseason. They were on the goal line and Parcells called a play and Romo did a QB sneak instead. When questioned about the gutsy call after the game, Parcells said is was Romo adlibbing and said he had “moxie”.

p1_

DCC 4Life

That's pretty much what a QB has to do in Garrett's scheme. He has to be able and willing to override the coaching's staff's conservative play calling.
I have a feeling he did a lot of that in 2014. Dak, on the other hand..... not so much.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That shit is depressing.

The funny thing is, I was disappointed with that loss because that team actually had "IT".

That special something that no Cowboys team had since the 90's. I believe they were the best team in the NFC that year and maybe even the NFL.

Because of that, I was disappointed, but I actually took it well and felt fine not that long afterward. I guess since they didn't have another humiliating loss to end a season like they had so many times in the Romo era, I found it much much easier to accept.

But it's weird.....like a finality has set in over the last year or two that basically hits and says "Barring something unforeseen, that is the closest you will ever see the Cowboys to a Super Bowl for as long as the Jones family owns them".

That loss bothers me much much much more today than it did in January 2015 or even a year later. Because the reality hit me like a ton of bricks on just how close that team was and how I'm likely never to see them get that close again.

And now I know that I will never know what it's like to see them win anything again, and it makes me sad as shit.

:sad

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Probably reason 101 why Garrett sided with Dak two years ago.

My god Garrett is such a self serving little bitch.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just watched it. So many great passes in there... passes Dak simply can't make.

shane

DCC 4Life
IIRC, Romo did it his rookie year in the preseason. They were on the goal line and Parcells called a play and Romo did a QB sneak instead. When questioned about the gutsy call after the game, Parcells said is was Romo adlibbing and said he had “moxie”.
Romo's moxie also led to those dozens of game-destroying turnovers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Romo's moxie also led to those dozens of game-destroying turnovers.
Yeah, I hated it at the time. But on retrospect with the shit coaching he had post-Parcells, that quality gave us the best chance to win.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just watched it. So many great passes in there... passes Dak simply can't make.
I broke down and watched it. I am weak.

What I did find interesting is that Romo admitted he didn't start feeling it, as in knowing how to make all the throws until like 2012 or something. He peaked in 2014 and then the injuries.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, I hated it at the time. But on retrospect with the shit coaching he had post-Parcells, that quality gave us the best chance to win.
Yup, that's how I feel as well.

At the time, he made so many back-breaking mistakes that I thought he was a choker who would never win.

Now, I have a better understanding of how bad he had it having to run Garrett's offense and I truly believe that if you switch him and Roethlisber, Romo wins a couple of SBs in Pittsburgh while Ben wins the same lot of nothing here that Romo did.

I feel bad for him now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He peaked in 2014 and then the injuries.
He carried the team in 2014, though on the surface you’d think it was Murray’s running.

And what’s crazy is he had a net 113+ passer rating for the season in spite of having had three average to terrible games vs SF, Washington, and Philly nursing back issues.

He was robbed in 2016, and should have been given an opportunity to compete with Dak (he’d have smoked the rookie of course) when he returned from injury.

“But teh Chemistry!!1!” argument was feeble crap coming from a front office who’d buckled to idiot fanboys thinking they had found their QB of the future for cheap.

Like Tony Romo wouldn’t have had chemistry with the OL, Dez, Terrance Williams and Jason fucking Witten.

Such sorry shit. He retired healthy watching from the sidelines. Fucking disgraceful.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Romo flipped situations with Brees, Roethlisberger, Eli, and basically any Super Bowl-winning QB not named Brady or Rodgers from about 2006-2016 I don't think you'd see drastically different results. That is to say that Romo would've won just about as many Super Bowls and whoever was in Dallas wouldn't have won anything.

It's impossible to prove but I'm pretty sure Romo was more or less running our offense from 2011-2013. The regularity with which our offense would start out games putzing around only to turn it on once they got down/once they started going no huddle with Romo calling plays at the line cannot be a coincidence.

I'd honestly take him right now as OC or HC over Linehan or Garrett, and that isn't so much praise of Romo as it is an example of how little I think of those two right now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He carried the team in 2014, though on the surface you’d think it was Murray’s running.

And what’s crazy is he had a net 113+ passer rating for the season in spite of having had three average to terrible games vs SF, Washington, and Philly nursing back issues.

He was robbed in 2016, and should have been given an opportunity to compete with Dak (he’d have smoked the rookie of course) when he returned from injury.

“But teh Chemistry!!1!” argument was feeble crap coming from a front office who’d buckled to idiot fanboys thinking they had found their QB of the future for cheap.

Like Tony Romo wouldn’t have had chemistry with the OL, Dez, Terrance Williams and Jason fucking Witten.

Such sorry shit. He retired healthy watching from the sidelines. Fucking disgraceful.
This is assuming he could even make it through back to back games healthy.

The guy literally could not make it through 2 straight games beginning with the second game of 2015.

Top Bottom