A Football Life: Tony Romo

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is assuming he could even make it through back to back games healthy.

The guy literally could not make it through 2 straight games beginning with the second game of 2015.
You go for it. What’s to be lost? He’s on the fricking bench either way!

Worst case scenario you still had the rookie.

No, Dallas was too busy dreaming of a dynasty behind the OL, Zeke, and their new QB to focus on the fricking season they were supposed to have been playing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He carried the team in 2014, though on the surface you’d think it was Murray’s running.

And what’s crazy is he had a net 113+ passer rating for the season in spite of having had three average to terrible games vs SF, Washington, and Philly nursing back issues.

He was robbed in 2016, and should have been given an opportunity to compete with Dak (he’d have smoked the rookie of course) when he returned from injury.

“But teh Chemistry!!1!” argument was feeble crap coming from a front office who’d buckled to idiot fanboys thinking they had found their QB of the future for cheap.

Like Tony Romo wouldn’t have had chemistry with the OL, Dez, Terrance Williams and Jason fucking Witten.

Such sorry shit. He retired healthy watching from the sidelines. Fucking disgraceful.
I know you and others still love to play the "What if" game regarding the 2016 season, but c'mon. You know damn well the Cowboys wouldn't have done any better in the playoffs that year if he were given his job back.

As good as Romo was, even he wasn't good enough to completely compensate for Garrett's ineptness.

Hell, even in 2014 in what was considered Romo's peak season, the team barely made it out of the 1st round. It took the refs making an unprecedented decision to overturn a PI penalty call against Anthony Hitchens for the Cowboys to win. 99.99% of the time that call stands.

I'll also point out that Romo got off to a slow start in that 2014 playoff game as well. We didn't score a single point until it was damn near halftime but fortunately for the Cowboys they were playing the Lions instead of an all time great QB in Aaron Rodgers. I point this out because people love to gripe about the slow start that Dak and the offense got off to in the 2016 playoff game as if it were a given that Romo would have lit it up from the start.

More than anything I put those slow starts on Garrett and Linehan. I noticed the same trend with the slow starts on offense back when Romo was the starter. It was very apparent that the 15-20 plays that we'd script going into a game failed a lot more often than they worked. The Cowboys offense really didn't start clicking until we got past Garrett's scripted garbage and Romo started calling plays in the moment based on what he was seeing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know you and others still love to play the "What if" game regarding the 2016 season, but c'mon. You know damn well the Cowboys wouldn't have done any better in the playoffs that year if he were given his job back.

As good as Romo was, even he wasn't good enough to completely compensate for Garrett's ineptness.

Hell, even in 2014 in what was considered Romo's peak season, the team barely made it out of the 1st round. It took the refs making an unprecedented decision to overturn a PI penalty call against Anthony Hitchens for the Cowboys to win. 99.99% of the time that call stands.

I'll also point out that Romo got off to a slow start in that 2014 playoff game as well. We didn't score a single point until it was damn near halftime but fortunately for the Cowboys they were playing the Lions instead of an all time great QB in Aaron Rodgers. I point this out because people love to gripe about the slow start that Dak and the offense got off to in the 2016 playoff game as if it were a given that Romo would have lit it up from the start.

More than anything I put those slow starts on Garrett and Linehan. I noticed the same trend with the slow starts on offense back when Romo was the starter. It was very apparent that the 15-20 plays that we'd script going into a game failed a lot more often than they worked. The Cowboys offense really didn't start clicking until we got past Garrett's scripted garbage and Romo started calling plays in the moment based on what he was seeing.
The 2014 Lions game and the 2016 Packers game were carbon copies of each other for about the first 20 minutes of each game, both were at home and both were playoff openers. That's as much of an indictment on the coaching staff as anything honestly.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Also, if my offense scores 31 points and loses a game I'm not pointing fingers at the QB and the offense. I'm looking at the defense asking WTF?

If your offense gives you over 30 points in the playoffs you expect to win those games. More than anything the defense didn't do their jobs that day but the Dak hatred is so deep that people are blinded to that fact.

Being pissy at Dak for the 2016 playoff loss is akin to getting pissy at Romo for not pulling out that win against the Broncos in 2013. He throws for over 500 yards and 5 TDs in that game and put up 48 points. Sure he threw a late game INT but the bigger issue was his shit defense giving up 51 points.

That's how I feel about the 2016 playoff game.

Also, if my offense scores 31 points and loses a game I'm not pointing fingers at the QB and the offense. I'm looking at the defense asking WTF?

If your offense gives you over 30 points in the playoffs you expect to win those games. More than anything the defense didn't do their jobs that day but the Dak hatred is so deep that people are blinded to that fact.

Being pissy at Dak for the 2016 playoff loss is akin to getting pissy at Romo for not pulling out that win against the Broncos in 2013. He throws for over 500 yards and 5 TDs in that game and put up 48 points. Sure he threw a late game INT but the bigger issue was his shit defense giving up 51 points.

That's how I feel about the 2016 playoff game.
Yes but most of the blame in the game was the stubborness of those fucking coaches when they wouldn’t run the ball. Zeke was breaking off 6 yards per carry so they got pass happy. So stupid...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We should have whipped that Packer defense.

The Lions defense was completely different, on a par with the Seahawks of the same year and with a better front seven.

It took a while to figure out the Lions defense. But not the Packers.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Also, if my offense scores 31 points and loses a game I'm not pointing fingers at the QB and the offense.
Yet during the 2010 season opener at Cowboys Stadium, that's exactly what you and the majority of this board did.

I'm looking at the defense asking WTF?
Nope. Romo shouldered the blame.

// frantically searching for my "LEAVE DAK ALONE!!11!" meme.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yet during the 2010 season opener at Cowboys Stadium, that's exactly what you and the majority of this board did.

Nope. Romo shouldered the blame.

// frantically searching for my "LEAVE DAK ALONE!!11!" meme.
You know how I now you're just pulling shit from your ass? The 2010 season opener was a 13-7 loss to the Redskins.

So if the offense only scored 7 points I and others had every right to bash Romo.

kidd

DCC 4Life
You know how I now you're just pulling shit from your ass? The 2010 season opener was a 13-7 loss to the Redskins.

So if the offense only scored 7 points I and others had every right to bash Romo.
My bad. It was 2009. The first year Cowboy's Stadium opened. Dallas lost to the Giants 33-31.

kidd

DCC 4Life
2010 was a horrible year. I now remember that redskins game. Romo hit Roy Williams for the game winning TD in the final seconds of the game only to have it wiped away by a holding call by Barron, some guy they traded for in the offseason.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not trying to get into a coaching debate but it’s very fair to say that one believes we could have had a longer playoff run in 2016 with Romo. He was simply a more productive player across the board.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Not trying to get into a coaching debate but it’s very fair to say that one believes we could have had a longer playoff run in 2016 with Romo. He was simply a more productive player across the board.
That was and continues to be my contention all along.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
People want to ignore this but it’s spot on

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
People want to ignore this but it’s spot on
Why?

It was never about ability on this board. I'm sure that there are some fans out in the cowboy fan universe but I'm fairly positive it was about a couple of reasons. It was whether he could stay upright and riding the hot hand.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Why?

It was never about ability on this board. I'm sure that there are some fans out in the cowboy fan universe but I'm fairly positive it was about a couple of reasons. It was whether he could stay upright and riding the hot hand.
The chemistry argument is silly. Romo had chemistry with everyone on that team. The bigger question was could Dak lead a team deep into the playoffs which are much more intense and QB-driven.

If Romo gets hurt, you still have Dak. Play for play and down the stretch, Romo was the best shot at the time, but the Cowboys got caught thinking about future dynasties.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The chemistry argument is silly. Romo had chemistry with everyone on that team. The bigger question was could Dak lead a team deep into the playoffs which are much more intense and QB-driven.

If Romo gets hurt, you still have Dak. Play for play and down the stretch, Romo was the best shot at the time, but the Cowboys got caught thinking about future dynasties.
Riding the hot hand is not about chemistry. It was how they were playing. Lights out. I'm not going to get into whether it was the correct move or not because that cant be proven one way or the other regardless of how many words are used. I was just taken up for my dcc brothers about the reasoning.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Riding the hot hand is not about chemistry. It was how they were playing. Lights out. I'm not going to get into whether it was the correct move or not because that cant be proven one way or the other regardless of how many words are used. I was just taken up for my dcc brothers about the reasoning.
The bottom line for me was that in the playoffs the intensity level increases and experience is at at a high premium. Romo had the experience and would seem to be the likely choice but the organization didn’t wasn’t to deal with the fan and public opinion uproar. Would Romo have been able to take them to the Thropy? We will never know but it will forever be a question for me. I personally think maybe the one shot in time would have been positive.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im sure one shot to the upper body or a full on sack, the type of which has drawn numerous flags of late would have taken Romo out yet again. He simply couldnt take a hit anymore. Kinda like Lee can't stay healthy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
t
Im sure one shot to the upper body or a full on sack, the type of which has drawn numerous flags of late would have taken Romo out yet again. He simply couldnt take a hit anymore. Kinda like Lee can't stay healthy.
That’s the popular assumption but we will never know.

Top Bottom