Watkins: There’s plenty of blame to go around for the Cowboys’ offensive struggles

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There’s plenty of blame to go around for the Cowboys’ offensive struggles
By Calvin Watkins Sep 24, 2018

FRISCO — Shares​ of blame for the Cowboys’​ offensive ineptitude can be easily spread. You can start​​ by allocating blame to Jerry Jones and the front office for believing they could replace Dez Bryant and Jason Witten, their two best offensive weapons from years past, with average players.

You can also assign some of it to Jason Garrett, the head coach who has faith in these players ability to make plays and sees them fail to do so.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan got a vote of confidence from Garrett on Monday and will retain his role as playcaller. Linehan’s play-calling and lack of creativity is also to blame.

Quarterback Dak Prescott is struggling to get the ball downfield or move the offense in general. He’s not providing much hope at the moment.

After Sunday’s 16-8 loss in Seattle, Prescott took the blame for being unable to push the ball with big plays. He looked solemn during his news conference from CenturyLink Field, and who could blame him.

“I don’t know,” Prescott said quietly of searching for answers. “I mean, last year, there were sometimes — but I’m not somebody thinking necessarily on the negativity part … I’m just focused on the good things that we’ve done and how we’re going to continue to grow on those to get better going forward.”

To be frank, the Cowboys’ offense stinks.

It ranks 31st in points (13.7), 31st in third-down conversions (23.5 percent), 30th in yards per game (277.7), and 30th in yards per pass play (4.39).

On third-down plays, the Cowboys are averaging just three yards-per-pass on 29 attempts. Prescott has attempted just seven deep passes of 20 yards or more out of his 88 total throws, with zero down the middle of the field.

Whether some of this is due to Prescott’s lack of confidence in throwing deep, an offensive line struggling or the receivers not making themselves available for catches is open to debate.

When an offense like the Cowboys’ is struggling, everybody gets blamed.

“There are a lot of different things we have to get better at, I guess is the simplest way of answering that question,” Garrett said Monday. “If you evaluate the game yesterday there were some good things in the game. We ran the ball well, we had explosive runs in the game, we ran for a good average throughout the game. I thought those were positives for us. We made some explosive plays offensively, but when you pull back and look at the rest of it, it just wasn’t good enough.”

You can start with the personnel.

When Witten retired during the draft, the Cowboys ventured down a path they never expected to take, trying to replace their future Hall of Fame tight end this year. The Cowboys like the potential of their four tight ends, but they all have problems. Geoff Swaim is the starter but nobody’s afraid of him. Blake Jarwin isn’t playing fast enough to merit more playing time and Rico Gathers is still developing. Yet when he does get the ball, the Cowboys like his ability to get yards after catch. Rookie Dalton Schultz has been inactive the last two weeks and is a year away from being counted on.

This leaves us with the wide receivers. For as much trouble Dez Bryant caused, he did average 14 yards per catch in 113 career games. His ability to challenge defenses deep and on back-shoulder fades helped not only Tony Romo but Prescott, too. Salary and his combustible behavior are the main reasons he’s gone now.

This current group is led by Cole Beasley, who has 12 catches for 132 yards. A majority of these catches come from the slot and the Cowboys can’t win games relying on Beasley to make plays from the slot. Tavon Austin has touchdown receptions of 64 yards and three yards, but the Cowboys don’t utilize him enough. Austin has a similar build to Beasley but is used differently. The Cowboys can line Austin up outside and run him deep, as they did in the Week 2 win over the Giants. They can also place him in motion and hand the ball off to him on end-arounds or throw quick routes to him.

In Sunday’s loss, Austin played in a season-high 20 snaps, taking some plays from Deonte Thompson, a big-play threat. Thompson took 28 snaps in the loss but finished with two catches for 23 yards.

Thompson hasn’t made any impactful plays and is noted more for his drop, on a high pass, late in the Week 1 loss at Carolina.

Allen Hurns was signed to replace Bryant as a tough, physical receiver. Hurns, in 41 snaps, made two catches for 22 yards. Hurns maintains he’s getting open, but just not getting the ball.

One of the great mysteries of the Cowboys’ offense is what the team is doing with Terrance Williams. He played 10 snaps on Sunday, all on run plays. It’s like he’s the fifth tight end. The lack of creativity with Williams is noticed by defenses. When Williams comes into the game, he motions to the left tackle side to block. A run play is coming.

“I thought the receivers at different times, in this game, did a good job of winning on routes,” Garrett said. “And when we were able to put it all together, protect, see it, deliver the ball, again, I thought we had some good completions in the game, certainly not enough of them.”

Prescott’s numbers are horrific. He’s got a 74.9 quarterback rating (27th in the NFL) and 498 passing yards (28th). Prescott has yet to throw for 200 yards this season, something that should be easy to do given how the rules favor the offenses, particularly in the passing game.

Josh Allen, the Bills’ rookie quarterback who was considered very raw coming into the draft, has thrown for more yards (515) than Prescott and he didn’t start Week 1. Baker Mayfield threw for 201 yards in one half of football last week for the Browns.

Garrett has confidence in Prescott, but he really has no choice because Cooper Rush isn’t the answer and Romo is retired. Old buddy Troy Aikman is long gone. The last time the Cowboys finished 31st in points scored was 2015 and Matt Cassel was the main quarterback with Romo hurt. You have to flip the history books back to 2002 to find this bad an offense, and that group featured Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter sharing the starting quarterback duties for Dave Campo. The Cowboys finished 31st in scoring that year.

We’re three games into the season and there is so much to play for. But this reality also gives you a glimpse of how bad the offense currently is. Zeke Elliott rushed for 127 yards with a strong 7.9 yards per carry. But Elliott made three mistakes in the game, two on third down that cost his team a touchdown and a first down.

Things like that hurt NFL teams and they can ultimately doom them. When Elliott ran out of bounds, negating a touchdown in the second quarter that would have tied the game at 7-7, he didn’t pay attention to where he was on the field. Free safety Earl Thomas covered Elliott out of the backfield and when he stopped, Elliott kept looking back waiting for the ball. Thomas’ coverage forced Elliott to run his route wider than necessary.

If Elliott stayed inbounds and scored, it’s a different ballgame.

“We had a third-down yesterday where there was a little burst route to him working over to our sidelines and Dak gave him a good ball,” Garrett said. “He just didn’t finish the play.”

The offensive line is another problem. It doesn’t have All-Pro center Travis Frederick, who is nowhere near to returning from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, but still features All-Pro left tackle Tyron Smith and All-Pro right guard Zack Martin, the highest-paid player at his position in the NFL. There were times Prescott was flushed out the pocket because of pressure on the outside. He needs time to throw, which is obvious, but sometimes he needs to just get out the pocket and run the ball.

Everything is magnified with the offense struggling. Yet, what gives anybody hope it will get better?

“I think we’ve got the players and I do think we have the talent and I think we have the coaching that can get us on the right track offensively,” Jones said. “That’s a good question. I want to answer it that way. We will get on the right track offensively. I’ll assure you.”

I also heard a Garrett quote saying the playcalling was not to blame, but execution was. THere are at least two quotes in this article with Garrett throwing his players under the bus without once taking any blame at all. I can. not. wait. for these players to turn on this dickhead.

west723

Brand New Member
Jason Garret thinks plays will work they did when he was Aikman's backup. Yes the Cowboys did only run 12 to 14 plays usually. The difference is the talent level and the coaching. Tony Wise has an excellent line coach, Norv Turner was a good at running the same play out of different looks. The offensive line was All Pro and never hurt. Emmitt was a great back. Aikman was they ultimate manager on the field. Irvin caught balls in big spots. Jason Garret has to realize that it is not just executing the plays correct but also repeating those plays so much in practice that it is second nature to get it right. Garret things he can do things the way Jimmie did. Sorry Jason, Jimmie had probally the best coaches of anyone and they meshed perfect with the players. We didn't run screen passes because Aikman didn't like screen passes. Don't run plays you can't execute. Use some imagination. You can usually know run or pass from the personel. Garret needs to wake up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The NFL is all about evolving on a year to year basis, not necessarily overhauls, but you need to tweak things constantly as McVay alluded to in the offseason. Employing an offensive philosophy from 30 years ago, based off one of the greatest teams of all time, and at a time when there was no salary cap, is literally one of the dumbest things imaginable given the current state of the NFL.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Garrett- Just beat the man across from you.

McVay-

Cotton

Staff member

McVay-
So damn jealous.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

McVay-
So you're saying there's more coaches can do than just ask their players to "execute" and grind out "dirty runs"?

Intriguing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

McVay-
McVay's schemes/playbook is Harvard grad level while Garrett and Linehan's is low income inner city public high school. That's the gap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

So frustrating.

We have talent issues, but when this kind of shit manifests itself it is not helpful.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jason Garret thinks plays will work they did when he was Aikman's backup. Yes the Cowboys did only run 12 to 14 plays usually. The difference is the talent level and the coaching. Tony Wise has an excellent line coach, Norv Turner was a good at running the same play out of different looks. The offensive line was All Pro and never hurt. Emmitt was a great back. Aikman was they ultimate manager on the field. Irvin caught balls in big spots. Jason Garret has to realize that it is not just executing the plays correct but also repeating those plays so much in practice that it is second nature to get it right. Garret things he can do things the way Jimmie did. Sorry Jason, Jimmie had probally the best coaches of anyone and they meshed perfect with the players. We didn't run screen passes because Aikman didn't like screen passes. Don't run plays you can't execute. Use some imagination. You can usually know run or pass from the personel. Garret needs to wake up.
Even Norv Turner has evolved a ton over the years. What Norv Turner does now is worlds different than what he did in the early 90's. But he's a really smart offensive mind who knows how to adjust and adapt. Garrett is a really smart guy but he's not able to adapt. He's like a record that gets stuck in one position and just keeps skipping. It's always been Garrett's problems. Some guys are innovators. They are able to come up with ideas and concepts that no one has thought of before. Garrett is more a copy cat kind of guy. He will study what others do and try to mimic it. But he's never capable of coming up with that stuff all on his own.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Jerry's supposed to be such a smart business man, but when it comes to Garrett he's falling victim to the "sunk cost" principle. The sunk cost principle says that once you've spent money on something, the money's gone, whether it was a good decision or not. Sticking with the consequences of a bad decision only makes the bad decision worse -- you can't change it and the money's gone.

Jerry is sticking with Garrett because he has 8 years invested in Garrett. To fire Garrett now would be to admit that the 8 years have been a mistake -- the sunk cost principle. He's not going to get the 8 years back, and sticking with Garrett only prolongs the consequences of a bad initial decision.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jerry's supposed to be such a smart business man, but when it comes to Garrett he's falling victim to the "sunk cost" principle. The sunk cost principle says that once you've spent money on something, the money's gone, whether it was a good decision or not. Sticking with the consequences of a bad decision only makes the bad decision worse -- you can't change it and the money's gone.

Jerry is sticking with Garrett because he has 8 years invested in Garrett. To fire Garrett now would be to admit that the 8 years have been a mistake -- the sunk cost principle. He's not going to get the 8 years back, and sticking with Garrett only prolongs the consequences of a bad initial decision.
I think it's even worse than that. Garrett is like part of his family. And not the family you hate but the family you have over to dinner once a week. The way you may defender the sister you love from anyone who would say anything bad about them, that's how Jerry is. And firing Garrett probably would feel like the ultimate betrayal to Jerry. Shit you already see how he surrounds himself with his family in his business. Garrett is just another family member like that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way what Dallas should do in my opinion is go to more of an uptempo offense until we get a lead. Run some no huddle. Stop letting the play clock run down to 1 or 2 seconds before every play. We always do our best work this way and it seems to make Dak more aggressive. I know it's not great for resting the defense but shit at the beginning of a game they are rested anyway. It may help us to actually be more aggressive and get Dak in a bit of a rhythm. Plus there is the obvious benefit of getting the defense off balance and unable to substitute to defend your specific packages on every play. We just get so fucking predictable when we run out a new package of players for every specific play.

That's the easiest quick fix in my opinion. There are deeper problems than that but most of it you can't fix until the offseason.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
By the way what Dallas should do in my opinion is go to more of an uptempo offense until we get a lead. Run some no huddle. Stop letting the play clock run down to 1 or 2 seconds before every play. We always do our best work this way and it seems to make Dak more aggressive. I know it's not great for resting the defense but shit at the beginning of a game they are rested anyway. It may help us to actually be more aggressive and get Dak in a bit of a rhythm. Plus there is the obvious benefit of getting the defense off balance and unable to substitute to defend your specific packages on every play. We just get so fucking predictable when we run out a new package of players for every specific play.

That's the easiest quick fix in my opinion. There are deeper problems than that but most of it you can't fix until the offseason.
I think a hurry-up offense would be great. You see teams go to it at various times, the start of a series, decent field position -- any time during a game. It can be a momentum changer, a way to jump start an offense.

But it requires spontaneity, adaptability, some risk-taking, thinking on your feet. None of those qualities apply to Garrett. He's too methodical, plodding, unimaginative.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I think it's even worse than that. Garrett is like part of his family. And not the family you hate but the family you have over to dinner once a week. The way you may defender the sister you love from anyone who would say anything bad about them, that's how Jerry is. And firing Garrett probably would feel like the ultimate betrayal to Jerry. Shit you already see how he surrounds himself with his family in his business. Garrett is just another family member like that.
There's an interesting parallel there. How many times have you seen a father turn a business over to a son. The son can't find his ass with both hands, everybody knows it but the father, who's blind to it. The son runs the business into the ground.

Cotton

Staff member
I think a hurry-up offense would be great. You see teams go to it at various times, the start of a series, decent field position -- any time during a game. It can be a momentum changer, a way to jump start an offense.

But it requires spontaneity, adaptability, some risk-taking, thinking on your feet. None of those qualities apply to Garrett. He's too methodical, plodding, unimaginative.
Green Bay has killed our defenses in the past when they go no huddle. It's very effective and I would like to see more of it.

Cotton

Staff member
There's an interesting parallel there. How many times have you seen a father turn a business over to a son. The son can't find his ass with both hands, everybody knows it but the father, who's blind to it. The son runs the business into the ground.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Green Bay has killed our defenses in the past when they go no huddle. It's very effective and I would like to see more of it.
I think there is a misconception that the no huddle somehow means you can't run the clock or run the ball. It's not true. Some of our best runs have been when we are hurrying things up. And you can still take time off the clock. But by getting to the line quickly you kind of keep the defense stuck in what they are doing.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
They also have Aaron Rodgers and a mostly competent coaching staff.

Cotton

Staff member
So you're saying Stephen will be successful?

Tommy saved the day, after all. Dude sold 1/2 a million brake pads.

:unsure
Yeah, please don't factor in the entire movie into my analogy. :lol

Top Bottom