Two Years Later, Dak Prescott Has Problems

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Guys, guys -- you're getting bogged down in debates over semantics, not seeing the forest for the trees.

Chalk up Benoit's first sentence to sloppy writing, sloppy reasoning, or both. Put aside whether manipulating stats to suit an argument is sports writing heresy. Here's what he says about Dak: "He is a facilitating type of QB. He plays with a high pre-snap IQ, a poised post-snap decision-making process and a good-but-not-great arm, mixed with upper-shelf mobility."

That's not bad for a 4th round pick. Is Dak one of those gold-plated, sure-fire, can't-miss franchise QBs taken in the first three or four picks overall? Probably not. And even some of those don't work out.

Is he a QB that a smart, talented developer of QBs could groom into a pretty damn good QB? Very possibly. But we'll never know with the Red-Headed Stepchild at the helm.
This is why I want to see what he could do under a different coaching staff before it is time to make a decision on him.

I still suspect that if he were on a team like the Rams or Eagles you wouldn't see a drastic drop off in their offensive performance.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why I want to see what he could do under a different coaching staff before it is time to make a decision on him.

I still suspect that if he were on a team like the Rams or Eagles you wouldn't see a drastic drop off in their offensive performance.
Yeah it's difficult because I really want a new coach in here badly. But I also want to win games. So it's definitely difficult. I know that if Dak and this defense play well enough this team is going to kick out enough wins to probably save Garrett's job but I don't really want that. I also don't want to see Dak and this team fall flat on their faces. I don't know if I could stomach a season filled with Panthers like performances from this team. It's literally painful to watch.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Yeah it's difficult because I really want a new coach in here badly. But I also want to win games. So it's definitely difficult. I know that if Dak and this defense play well enough this team is going to kick out enough wins to probably save Garrett's job but I don't really want that. I also don't want to see Dak and this team fall flat on their faces. I don't know if I could stomach a season filled with Panthers like performances from this team. It's literally painful to watch.
You want to see wins. How many? Garrett will get you 8 or 9 -- 10 maybe. But here's the key part of that article as it relates to your nausea over the Panthers game: "The problem is, this approach requires receivers who can win in space. Dallas’s current receiving corps resembles a rotation you’d see in the second quarter of a preseason game. Garrett and Linehan learned the hard way in the Week 1 loss at Carolina that a basic passing attack won't work. Guys couldn't get open and Prescott threw with little sense of timing and poor accuracy."

How does a HC enter the season with no clue how to go up against the opening-day team? Why are they "learning the hard way" that their limp-dick, antiquated offense sucks? That their receivers are mediocre?

Trade a few wins against another two or three or four years of Jerry Jones orchestrated mediocrity. Garrett ain't ever gonna be the one who takes a team to the promised land.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You want to see wins. How many? Garrett will get you 8 or 9 -- 10 maybe. But here's the key part of that article as it relates to your nausea over the Panthers game: "The problem is, this approach requires receivers who can win in space. Dallas’s current receiving corps resembles a rotation you’d see in the second quarter of a preseason game. Garrett and Linehan learned the hard way in the Week 1 loss at Carolina that a basic passing attack won't work. Guys couldn't get open and Prescott threw with little sense of timing and poor accuracy."

How does a HC enter the season with no clue how to go up against the opening-day team? Why are they "learning the hard way" that their limp-dick, antiquated offense sucks? That their receivers are mediocre?

Trade a few wins against another two or three or four years of Jerry Jones orchestrated mediocrity. Garrett ain't ever gonna be the one who takes a team to the promised land.
I didn't really see the receivers as the problem in that game. It was poor passing play design and an inability to give Dak time to throw. It's pretty difficult to win when your QB is taking 6 sacks. And they weren't coverage sacks. Our coaches needed to compensate with some quick passes but they never did. Or they had our receivers running dumbass routes given the coverage and defense called. Having 2 guys running curl routes against press man when the defense is bringing the house is about as dumb as it comes. It was a very flawed offensive game plan. Then on top of that the sacks and penalties dug us into holes we weren't capable of climbing out of. The Giants game plan was way better. Probably because their pass rush sucks and we had some game film to study from this season. That and I think the coaches are still trying to figure out how to use these weapons the right way. I don't think our receiving talent is nearly as bad as they make it sound. Although I'd love to have an alpha dog at receiver as much as the next guy. And frankly our TE situation may be that bad. Rico right now looks like our best TE.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I still suspect that is an insane conclusion.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I hate when people do this. If you're going to use stats to make a point, you shouldn't take out certain stats that don't fit your narrative. The very fact he did hit that pass is a big deal. I'm not saying Dak doesn't have a long road ahead of him to be the long-term answer at QB, because he does - but taking out his good moments when you're arguing your point, just makes me think you have an agenda.

Ya know, take away 700 home runs from Babe Ruth and he's just a slap-hitting fat boy.
The problem is Dak doesn’t have a long road ahead before Jerry Jones just hands him a fricking gigantic contract.

It’s a stone cold lock no matter how average this guy really is.

Because he’s better than a rock bottom schlub.

Kind of like Garrett.

Prepare for another decade of mediocrity or worse.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The one thing to be considered is that it is based on percentages. Taking that the bugaboo is Dak doesn’t throw that many long passes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The one thing to be considered is that it is based on percentages. Taking that the bugaboo is Dak doesn’t throw that many long passes.
Frankly he doesn't throw a lot of passes in general. We prefer to throw the ball less than 30 times a game.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
At least Dak aired it deep a few times against the Giants, enough to make them think about it. I think he CAN hit the deep ball, maybe it's a confidence issue IDK
I do think his career numbers are a bit distorted. 2016 was almost lightning in a bottle. The O line was healthy and on point, Zeke was running like a monster and they had a great rapport with each other (not that they don't now), and our receiving corps was tight.
Last year was a nightmare and Dak never stepped up. I know that was just his second season but he didn't take control.
It's been a tale of two polar opposite seasons, with the third just starting. IMO this year will say a lot about what kind of QB he really is.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
At least Dak aired it deep a few times against the Giants, enough to make them think about it. I think he CAN hit the deep ball, maybe it's a confidence issue IDK
I do think his career numbers are a bit distorted. 2016 was almost lightning in a bottle. The O line was healthy and on point, Zeke was running like a monster and they had a great rapport with each other (not that they don't now), and our receiving corps was tight.
Last year was a nightmare and Dak never stepped up. I know that was just his second season but he didn't take control.
It's been a tale of two polar opposite seasons, with the third just starting. IMO this year will say a lot about what kind of QB he really is.
I would like to see Dak against an average defense before I'm ready to move on. The Giants are really tough and they know us really well. Dak hasn't ever had a good game against them. Remember we lost both games against them his stellar rookie year. Caroilna's front 7 dominated our offense. We'll have to see as the season goes on if he capable of 2016 play again or not.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I would like to see Dak against an average defense before I'm ready to move on. The Giants are really tough and they know us really well. Dad hasn't ever had a good game against them. Remember we lost both games against them his stellar rookie year. Caroilna's front 7 dominated our offense. We'll have to see as the season goes on if he capable of 2016 play again or not.
Your Dad played?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Man, I wish Dak could throw as well as Alex Smith.

Never thought I’d say that. Ever.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I used to think that was his ceiling.

Turns out I gave him too much credit.
I still think he could be Alex Smith good, but it would take one helluva better coaching staff than our retards here

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Any NFL QB "can" hit a deep ball. The problem is, he doesn't hit it at the same rate as his peers who are better than him. That, and even his intermediate passing game, the passes that travel from 10-20 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air (and thus, not really "deep" throws or hail marys), those are nonexistant too.

Romo was never a great deep ball thrower, but he was excellent at hitting Bryant over the middle 20 yards downfield. Dak can't routinely find anything over 10 yards in the air. He's been awful at it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Any NFL QB "can" hit a deep ball. The problem is, he doesn't hit it at the same rate as his peers who are better than him. That, and even his intermediate passing game, the passes that travel from 10-20 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air (and thus, not really "deep" throws or hail marys), those are nonexistant too.

Romo was never a great deep ball thrower, but he was excellent at hitting Bryant over the middle 20 yards downfield. Dak can't routinely find anything over 10 yards in the air. He's been awful at it.
Well going by Sturms numbers I posted above he's at least average in completions he just doest take the shots....why he won't is a better question

Top Bottom