Byron Jones off to hot start in full-time CB role

p1_

DCC 4Life
Byron Jones off to hot start in full-time CB role
By Patrik Walker

Things are shaping up quite nicely in 2018 for Byron Jones, and it's a long time in the making.

The Dallas Cowboys have been trying to figure out exactly what they want the uber-talented defensive back to be heading into his fourth year in the NFL (oy vey), but to no avail. That certainly isn't to say Jones has not been impactful throughout his rookie contract, because he has. The problem is he hasn't reached his full potential as of yet, and a lot of that is accountable to the fact the team has failed to fully commit him to the one position he'd truly excel at more than any other.

Sure, he has the ability to play centerfielder, but his record-setting athleticism and physical build are much better suited for that of an NFL cornerback.

It took all of two seconds for Kris Richard to make this assessment after being hired by the Cowboys, giving a very real indication of how aggressive the secondary will look going forward. However, with a hamstring injury on starting free safety Xavier Woods that could keep him out of the season opener, some were beginning to form the opinion Jones could be moved back to safety until further notice. Head coach Jason Garrett didn't exactly rule out the idea in his latest press conference, when the question was posed, simply saying "ideally" the Cowboys would keep him at the cornerback position.

Jones himself, who has lauded the move the entire offseason and immediately watched it pay off in training camp, remains every bit the team player -- nothing he'd move back "in a second", if he was asked to. The good news for everyone is he won't be, because Richard is hearing none of it. The new coordinator was also asked the question, his reply being far more definitive than Garrett's, and it even came equipped with an echo-location feature.
“Byron plays corner," he said, before repeating himself several times to drive home the point. "Byron plays corner. Byron plays corner. Byron plays corner.”

It sounds like, and correct me if I'm far off-base here, that Jones plays corner. Even better, he's damn good at it.

Jones has 11 tackles in the first two games but, more importantly, he's becoming a migraine for opposing quarterbacks. In his Week 2 outing alone, he was targeted five times by Eli Manning but allowed only one catch, and the receiver gained precisely zero yards on it.

Ideal.

So stout was his play on Sunday Night Football that his grade of 83.9 landed him on the PFF Team of the Week.
Already proclaiming it to be a "good move" for both himself and the team, things are beginning to rapidly take shape that could prove Jones correct and Richard the brilliant football mind the league remembers him to be. Describing Jones as the "prototypical" corner, and one that eerily matches All-Pro Richard Sherman in measurables -- sans record-breaking numbers from the NFL Combine by the junior corner -- the Cowboys will depend on Jones to anchor the young secondary by shutting down some of the top wideouts in football.
On Sunday, that task involved helping keep a cap on Odell Beckham, Jr., a dynamo at the position who was hot off of a 111-yard outing. Against Jones and his compatriot Chidobe Awuzie, Beckham reeled in only 51 yards on only four receptions. For perspective, running back Saquon Barkley outgained him in the air by 29 yards -- becoming the Giants' top receiver in their 20-13 loss to the Cowboys.

Jones feels great, looks great and his confidence is through the shingles. If only the Cowboys realized how good he could be at the position sooner.

If only.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This is a glaring indictment of his prior coaching. This is clearly where Jones was intended to play. Why is Richard the first to see it?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have to admit so far he's proving me wrong. I was ready to move on from what was clearly looking like another bad "reach" pick by the Cowboys, but this full-time move back to CB seems to be working.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He was always at his best when playing as a slot CB in nickel/dime, which is where he was at probably about 35-40% of the time at least. He was just never a natural fit at safety in space.

p1_

DCC 4Life
i think its time to get that extension going.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I’ve liked the played all along.

Ever since he dislocated his knee and popped it back in and was like “no big deal.”.

He has skills, it’s just a lot to ask of a guy to play a new position every year and not expect him to struggle at times.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Depends on how much he wants. He still isn't making a lot of big plays for us.
:doh

crunch those numbers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:doh

crunch those numbers.
As long as balls aren't being completed his direction I'm thrilled with it. It's not like he isn't being tested, he is just doing a good job of defending the ball when it comes his direction. Sure I'd love 5 picks from my elite corners but if he keeps this pace up he'd be worth every penny of an extension. He fits this defense perfectly from everything I have seen.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
so that will be your criteria?
It factors into how much money I'm willing to give him. He's been very good, living up to his status as a late first round pick, maybe, but for me to pay him elite CB money I need elite CB production which means turnovers.

Without them, I can give him like today's equivalent of Brandon Carr money.... maybe not quite that even.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Let me remind everyone that our GM has been in love with handing out these massive contracts to non-elite players and many of them have come back to bite us in the ass. We literally just read an article detailing the trouble Stephen has gotten us into with paying guys too much, and then trying to restructure his way out of them.

Remember that before you proclaim that Jones would be "worth every penny" of an extension. You have no idea what that extension would cost. We are gonna have to start winning some of these contract negotiations at some point. CB is a great place to start.

I'm not saying I won't want Byron Jones back.... but I can easily foresee a scenario where some team is willing to give him more than I am. The guy has like 2 interceptions in 4 years.

Also remember that Chidobe Awuzie may very well be better than Jones. And frankly if Richard ever gives Jourdan Lewis a chance, he could be a very good corner as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let me remind everyone that our GM has been in love with handing out these massive contracts to non-elite players and many of them have come back to bite us in the ass. We literally just read an article detailing the trouble Stephen has gotten us into with paying guys too much, and then trying to restructure his way out of them.

Remember that before you proclaim that Jones would be "worth every penny" of an extension. You have no idea what that extension would cost. We are gonna have to start winning some of these contract negotiations at some point. CB is a great place to start.

I'm not saying I won't want Byron Jones back.... but I can easily foresee a scenario where some team is willing to give him more than I am. The guy has like 2 interceptions in 4 years.

Also remember that Chidobe Awuzie may very well be better than Jones. And frankly if Richard ever gives Jourdan Lewis a chance, he could be a very good corner as well.
Luckily Chido has another two years after this season before he needs an extension. So presumably you could extend Jones now and extend Chido two years from now without too much of a problem. Plus for all the belly aching everyone does over the cap we have a projected 70 mil in cap space next offseason from what I'm looking at. We have cap space now and into the future. Our cap situation just gets over exaggerated because we don't do anything in free agency.

I do agree, saying he is worth every penny may be premature if he is asking to be paid the highest paid corner in the NFL. And if I had to choose between Tank or Byron it's an easy choice really. You go with Lawrence who has shown in my opinion that he is in fact elite. The sooner we start looking at an extension for Byron the cheaper it usually is though. Much like Lawrence that number is only going to go up as this season goes along.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Finding CB's in this system is relatively easy, you just look for a guy with height/length who runs a sub-4.5. The Seahawks found Sherman in the 5th, Griffin in the 3rd, and they made due with guys like DeShawn Shead and Brandon Browner for years.

I'd try to resign Jones but I wouldn't break the bank because Awuzie is more or less as good (and potentially better in a year or two) and we should be able to find a decent enough replacement.

I'd never in a million years consider re-signing Jones over Lawrence.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
This is a glaring indictment of his prior coaching. This is clearly where Jones was intended to play. Why is Richard the first to see it?
Because Richard is one of the few coaches hired on Garrett's watch who doesn't have his head up his ass. If the defense -- especially the secondary -- shines this year, if the offense continues to puke up hairballs, and if Garrett finishes, oh, say, 9 -7, watch for Jerry to fall in love with Richards.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I believe there was some guy from Texas on this website that had been clamoring for the guy to be moved to corner for the last 2 years because he was likely to do better there being as it was his natural position in college.

:art

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Because Richard is one of the few coaches hired on Garrett's watch who doesn't have his head up his ass. If the defense -- especially the secondary -- shines this year, if the offense continues to puke up hairballs, and if Garrett finishes, oh, say, 9 -7, watch for Jerry to fall in love with Richards.
I'd be ok with Richard as HC. I mean, who else is going to pop up that you wouldn't be taking a flyer on anyways? I just don't want another retread, and I'd like some one who has some fucking life to them instead of "Danger, Will Robinson. Warning. Warning. It does not compute""

Last edited:

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Somebody (not Garrett) replaced all the coaches except Garrett, Linehan and Marinelli.

Garrett and Linehan are butt boys. Anything less than the playoffs, and a playoff win -- it will be, Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Garrett, it tolls for thee.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be ok with Richard as HC. I mean, who else is going to pop up that you wouldn't be taking a flyer on anyways? I just don't want another retread, and I'd like some one who has some fucking life to them instead of "Danger, Will Robinson. Warning. Warning. It does not compute""
Yeah I wouldn't be against him as a head coach either. It would just be extremely important that he bring in the right guy to run the offense. My preference would be for Richard as the defensive coordinator with a new head coach that has a great history of developing QBs.

Top Bottom