Week 2 Game Day Chatter | Giants at Cowboys| 9-16-2018

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nice to have a win but there is a lot to be desired from the offense. With this production it will not be enough for most opponents. I still feel the production will get better but to avoid being compromised in the early part of the schedule the passing game will have to improve rapidly. Like right now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This sounds like what you guys were saying last year when he had a very similar pedestrian performance against the Redskins where he only completed 50% of his passes and threw for 102.

Like it was some great thing that he didn't turn the ball over.

Big deal.

Outside of the first quarter he and that offense were mediocre and they aren't going to win very many games with him playing like that.

160 yards passing in a 2018 NFL game and we're taking positives from that?

Come on.
Yep.

Genghis Khan

I've said it before but total yards passing is such a meaningless statistic. If that's your basis then you probably think Eli had a way better game.

YPA, completion percentage, 3rd down conversion rate? Far more important. And yes the offense is still a work in progress. But it's not all negatives.
You're acting like Dak was good in those categories.

I'm not sure what the third down conversion rate was so I won't address that.

The YPA was pretty bad - 6.4 YPA. Without the 64 yard throw it was 4. FOUR. That's atrocious.

His completion percentage was decent at 64%. But honestly I'd like to see it higher with such a low YPA.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've said it before but total yards passing is such a meaningless statistic. If that's your basis then you probably think Eli had a way better game.

YPA, completion percentage, 3rd down conversion rate? Far more important. And yes the offense is still a work in progress. But it's not all negatives.
:lol

No, total yards passing is not a meaningless stat.

Genghis Khan

Total passing yards is certainly not a meaningless stat. It generally needs context but it's not meaningless.

YPA and completion percentage are better stats, especially in conjunction with each other. But total yards matters too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Passing yards is not a be-all, end-all stat because yes, garbage time numbers can inflate, or red zone inefficiency can undue the gains you’ve made in the air.

It’s not a great summation stat like QBR.

But it’s still important. And a QB who can’t get over 200 yards per game (240-50, really, in today’s league) has no long term future. It tells that he’s not effective enough moving the ball in the air.

It has tremendous meaning, because that’s what it means. It’s only meaningless for excuse making homers who are trying to gloss over really serious flaws.

Last edited:

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Anyone else slightly relieved that Will Hernandez doesn’t look as much of a finished product as we all thought?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Bitch about Dak all you want but you better get used to it. The front office loves him and we all know what that means. We arent bringing in anybody to challenge him for awhile. I'm not even sure a 1-15 season would change thier mind. It should but they are loyal to a fault to the guy they scouted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're acting like Dak was good in those categories.

I'm not sure what the third down conversion rate was so I won't address that.

The YPA was pretty bad - 6.4 YPA. Without the 64 yard throw it was 4. FOUR. That's atrocious.

His completion percentage was decent at 64%. But honestly I'd like to see it higher with such a low YPA.
I wasn't say they were good.

Just pointing out that total yard passing is the dumbest stat you can use to judge a QBs performance. The correlation between passing yards and wins in the NFL is extremely weak.

Basically every single other statistic for a QB is a better indicator. But fantasy whores who don't understand football want to bitch and complain about total yards passing.

QB rating is a way stronger indicator of winning or losing a game. I guess I care about winning games. Not throwing for 5,000 yards and sucking.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Bitch about Dak all you want but you better get used to it. The front office loves him and we all know what that means. We arent bringing in anybody to challenge him for awhile. I'm not even sure a 1-15 season would change thier mind. It should but they are loyal to a fault to the guy they scouted.
Eh, we'll see what happens. I am happy for the win, but aside from the first "drive," and the 4th quarter TD drive, I didn't see much that made me think we won't keep our options open. I think both Dak and Garrett (and the staff) are on notice. No playoffs this year and we will be looking, if for no other reason than Jerry is not going to throw franchise QB money at <250 yards per game and no playoffs, again, will start to show up in empty seats. I'm not going to complain about beating the woeful Giants, but getting 9 more wins will be a challenge.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't ever again want to hear that Dak can't throw the deep ball. Dak doesn't go deep because the Linehan and Garrett's game plan rarely have plays designed to go deep. Dak was given the opportunity to go deep on that first drive and dropped a fucking dime.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Eh, we'll see what happens. I am happy for the win, but aside from the first "drive," and the 4th quarter TD drive, I didn't see much that made me think we won't keep our options open. I think both Dak and Garrett (and the staff) are on notice. No playoffs this year and we will be looking, if for no other reason than Jerry is not going to throw franchise QB money at <250 yards per game and no playoffs, again, will start to show up in empty seats. I'm not going to complain about beating the woeful Giants, but getting 9 more wins will be a challenge.
Oh I agree that we should and this is all very logical. Problem is the Jones are emotional thinkers and not logical. Unless things have really changed but I guess Im still skeptical.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'll do a recap without reading any of your posts....

The defense only looked good because the Giants suck.
The offense is terrible save for one play. Dak sucks and isn't a real quarterback.
Garrett is teh suck.

Let me know if I missed anything.
You pretty much nailed Booze.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you're talking about winning games it is meaningless. Last nights game was a perfect example.
I don't think you understand what the word "meaningless" means. You are saying it's not determinative. Sure, but no stat is then.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't ever again want to hear that Dak can't throw the deep ball. Dak doesn't go deep because the Linehan and Garrett's game plan rarely have plays designed to go deep. Dak was given the opportunity to go deep on that first drive and dropped a fucking dime.
Dak doesn't lack the ability to physically throw the ball deep (though he's not the best at it either); his bigger problem by far is his downfield reads. See the video again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Unfortunately, that's probably the case.

Top Bottom