Jerry Jones: Dak Prescott is somewhere between Jared Goff and Cam Newton, 'You're going to see it'

BipolarFuk

Demoted
By Jon Machota

In his first time speaking publicly since Sunday's 16-8 loss at Carolina, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wasn't critical of the team's offense.

While answering several questions about the play-calling, quarterback Dak Prescott and Dallas' receivers, Jones responded positively despite the group managing to score only one touchdown.

Jones praised the Carolina defense and, like Jason Garrett the day before, blamed the Cowboys' offensive struggles on getting behind the chains.

Prescott was not sharp for much of the first three quarters and he finished with under 200 passing yards for the seventh time in Dallas' last nine games. But Jones said he's not concerned about Prescott's accuracy.

Indirectly, Jones seemed to suggest the Cowboys could use Prescott more as a runner the way Cam Newton was used against Dallas. Newton had 59 rushing yards in the first quarter. He finished with a team-high 58 yards on 13 carries. Prescott totaled 19 yards on five carries. He also scored on a two-point conversion run up the middle.

Jones later said that the Cowboys are utilizing Prescott's athleticism enough.

"I think we have a dimension in Dak with him being able to run the ball, you saw what Cam Newton does with that," Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "Norv Turner, who can be as traditional a play-caller as you can ever imagine, was doing a great job of using Cam.

"We've got a quarterback that is somewhere between [Jared Goff] and Cam Newton. He can do some of what both of those guys do. You're going to see it.":lol

In regards to the Dallas receivers, Jones said they "did not play bad" against the Panthers.

"They did get separation," Jones added. "We just didn't get the ball to them."

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Dak has a lot to prove, but you just get the feeling that Jerry's about to commit a lot of money to him before he's earned it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Is he talking about skin tone? Asking for a friend.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Jerry, Garrett -- the whole friggin brain trust -- they're trying to put lipstick on a pig and failing miserably. That game was an appalling failure and trying to smear lipstick on a fat ugly pig's face is pathetic.

The team has sucked now for the last several games. How does anyone summon the gall to blow smoke up the fans' ass week in and week out? All it does is make the final reckoning worse.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jones praised the Carolina defense and, like Jason Garrett the day before, blamed the Cowboys' offensive struggles on getting behind the chains.
:doh How did they get behind the chains?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Jalen Ramsey literally said that Shannahan is the one scheming up throws/big plays for Garappolo.

I'm pretty sure Prescott would be a lot closer to a Goff/Newton hybrid with a play-caller like Shannahan or McVay than the invalid he looks like right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jalen Ramsey literally said that Shannahan is the one scheming up throws/big plays for Garappolo.

I'm pretty sure Prescott would be a lot closer to a Goff/Newton hybrid with a play-caller like Shannahan or McVay than the invalid he looks like right now.
No question about it in my opinion. But I doubt Dak ever gets that luxury. He will either win enough games to save Garrett's ass or he will fall flat on his face and we will be searching for a new QB to develop and Garrett is out.

I guess the one slight possibility is that Dak gets a new chance with a new head coach who sees the potential and thinks he can develop him to his former level. But I think that's the least likely scenario.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No question about it in my opinion. But I doubt Dak ever gets that luxury. He will either win enough games to save Garrett's ass or he will fall flat on his face and we will be searching for a new QB to develop and Garrett is out.

I guess the one slight possibility is that Dak gets a new chance with a new head coach who sees the potential and thinks he can develop him to his former level. But I think that's the least likely scenario.
That's why I think we need to see it next year.

The 2019 QB class is pretty weak, get rid of Garrett, bring in someone like DeFillipo and 2019 will be do or die for Prescott while he's still cheap.

Instead we'll probably just get more status quo and/or half measure bullshit and we'll get no real answers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The 2019 QB class is pretty weak, get rid of Garrett, bring in someone like DeFillipo and 2019 will be do or die for Prescott while he's still cheap.

Instead we'll probably just get more status quo and/or half measure bullshit and we'll get no real answers.
We will get an 8-8 season. Another year of Garrett and one more year of Dak. That's what my prediction would be if you ask me today. Linehan may be the sacrificial pig and we will get a new offensive coordinator. But don't expect a stud QB coach from another team to get that position. Instead it will be someone like Kellen Moore or someone else that Garrett is familiar with who will continue with the "continuity" of systems.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn’t know Cowboysrock was Jerry Jones.
He sure is thinking like him. That may seem like gallows humor, but he is 100% right. Your boy Garrett will make a painful decision to dump Linehan at some point to save his own ginger ass.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He sure is thinking like him. That may seem like gallows humor, but he is 100% right. Your boy Garrett will make a painful decision to dump Linehan at some point to save his own ginger ass.
I was referring to the “Dak is Jared Goff” bit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I know it is still early, but the 2019 QB class scares the shit out of me.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That's supposed to enthuse us? Goff is a skinny question mark and Newton has always been inaccurate.

Top Bottom