DC.com - How Does TE Sort Out Post-Witten?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
16) How Does TE Sort Out Post-Witten?

DallasCowboys.com Report

(At long last, the NFL season is in sight. After a long offseason, the Cowboys are set to depart for training camp on July 24. During this final month before they begin practice in Oxnard, Calif., the staff of DallasCowboys.com is going to preview the 20 biggest questions facing the Cowboys heading into 2018.)

FRISCO, Texas – The Jason Witten era might be over, but as Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said at Witten’s retirement press conference in May, the franchise will try to uphold the longtime tight end’s standard of excellence moving forward.

The immediate question is who replaces Witten’s production. The Cowboys have five tight ends on the current roster – Geoff Swaim, Blake Jarwin, Rico Gathers, fourth-round draft pick Dalton Schultz and undrafted rookie David Wells – but only Swaim has a regular-season catch.

On to the next item in our preseason preview:

16) How will the tight end position sort out?

Nick Eatman: Interesting question because depending on the wording, you could get four different answers. Who will open training camp as the starter? I’d say Swaim. Who will open the regular season as the starter? I’d say Jarwin. Who would the Cowboys prefer wins the job outright? I’d say Schultz. And would the fans want to win this job? I’d say Gathers. That’s why it’s tricky and one that won’t be answered completely while we’re at camp. Overall, I think Jarwin is the most complete of the tight ends and I think he’ll start most of the games this year. That doesn’t mean Swaim won’t have a few more catches. And yes, I think Rico sticks around again somehow.

Rob Phillips: Swaim’s experience and versatility give him the edge as the Week One starter. Most people thought Swaim was only a blocker coming out of Texas three years ago, but he’s an underrated pass catcher. I think at this point he’s the most complete tight end in the group, but the other candidates have traits that can help them get on the field. Jarwin showed this spring that he can separate and make contested catches. We saw that from Gathers last preseason. In time, I think Schultz has starting potential because he learned how to be a complete tight end at Stanford. Big picture: I think Swaim, Jarwin and Schultz make the team. Can Gathers? He has a chance, for sure, if he continues to show development. But it might be tough to keep four if the team goes heavy at receiver or running back. They’re already likely to keep a third quarterback.

Bryan Broaddus: This is a position that I’ve gone back and forth on. I initially thought that rookie Dalton Schultz was going to be the starter due to his ability as a complete player. In observing these OTAs and minicamps, it appears that Swaim is going to get the first crack at the starting job. The coaching staff has also given Jarwin a considerable amount of snaps with Schultz and Gathers getting work when they could. From my early impressions, Jarwin has outplayed Swaim from an athletic standpoint so that’s something to keep in mind as they get ready for training camp. I have a feeling that only three tight ends will make the roster, which leaves guys like Gathers and Wells out of jobs. One of them should end up on the practice squad for further development if they clear waivers.

Mickey Spagnola: Much of this will depend on how the Cowboys decide to use the tight end. They have some versatile players there now, but not sure they absolutely have to be what Witten was. So, having said that, initially, because of his experience, however limited that might be, Swaim will start off as the base offense tight end. But don’t go to sleep on Jarwin. He’s extremely athletic, and Dak Prescott loves the way he can go up and get the ball. And in due time, Schultz might become the most complete of the bunch.
-------

Between this and DT, it is one area I think will be a pain point all season.

The only hope is that the gearing of the scheme towards Witten was something they did purposeful because they thought he was still elite or something.

Otherwise, we are in deep shit.

midswat

... soon
Really gonna miss whitten talking about the Cowboys Super Bowl chances this offseason.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You just hit on a few posters pet peeves with that spelling.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
DT is not where I want it to be by any means but we're more or less in the same boat there as we have been for the past 2-3 years.

The real linchpin to the run D is Lee, not the DT position, and I think if/when Lee goes out we'll have better cover there with Vander Esch compared to Hitchens, Durant or who ever.

I mean, DT is far and away the position I'd like us to address in the 1st next year with a Wilkins, Gary, Lawrence or what have you, but the group we have now is more or less equal to what we had last year (Collins/Irving/Paea/Price/Jones) or in 2016 (Collins/McClain/J. Crawford/Irving/Thornton).

I expect us to be deeper and better at DE compared to those years though.

TE is a complete crap shoot but I think we'll see Swaim/Jarwin getting most of the playing time early in the year with Schultz coming on as the season continues. I think we'll keep either Wells or Gathers as a 4th and that'll depend on whether or not Gathers can keep his head out of his ass.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Or perhaps a LaFluer redux.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We have entered the Bjornson stage. It's not pretty.
Witten did a lot over the years to open up this offense with the mismatches he created.

Witten's 2017 production can easily be replaced, but the former probably won't be for decades. And then certainly not for as long as Witten brought it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dalton Schultz will ease into the starting position around mid season. Then start his march towards Canton.

As it is written, so shall it be done.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have entered the Bjornson stage. It's not pretty.
I think we will have to play some football games before we know that. But Wittens aren't found every day. Of course there is a lot of ground between Witten and Bjornson, so hopefully we can fall in that zone.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think we will have to play some football games before we know that. But Wittens aren't found every day. Of course there is a lot of ground between Witten and Bjornson, so hopefully we can fall in that zone.
That’s a pretty big zone!

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If Swaim stays healthy, the combo of him and Schultz can be pretty effective and maybe even strongly impactful in 2 TE stuff if they still want to do it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Swaim stays healthy, the combo of him and Schultz can be pretty effective and maybe even strongly impactful in 2 TE stuff if they still want to do it.
I think Jarwin is their favorite frankly. Sounds like he has been getting the most work.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think we'll actually be alright with Swaim, Jarwin and Shultz. Even without including Gathers in the equation.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think we'll actually be alright with Swaim, Jarwin and Shultz. Even without including Gathers in the equation.
Only if Schultz is better than advertised. If not, it is as weak as it used to be in the LaFleur/Bjornson era.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Only if Schultz is better than advertised. If not, it is as weak as it used to be in the LaFleur/Bjornson era.
you think he has to be better? as though his resume is soft/light ? He comes from a respected TE factory program at Stanford.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
you think he has to be better? as though his resume is soft/light ? He comes from a respected TE factory program at Stanford.
It's Booze. But Schultz needs to show more as a receiver. He didn't do much at Stanford in that area. He was a strong blocker though. I don't think we will have any problem with blocking TEs. My concern is having a TE who is a threat in the passing game but Witten wasn't much of that anymore anyway.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Witten dropped 2 YPC beginning in 2015.

Funny.

I'm sure all of our pass catchers just happened to go to shit at the same time. I'm sure it wasn't the common denominator that began in 2015.

I'm sure it's all about TE ability and any old pass catchers can replace Witten.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Witten dropped 2 YPC beginning in 2015.

Funny.

I'm sure all of our pass catchers just happened to go to shit at the same time. I'm sure it wasn't the common denominator that began in 2015.

I'm sure it's all about TE ability and any old pass catchers can replace Witten.
I'll take win over yards anyday.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Of course a lot of this is on Dak as well. He needs to be better and build a rapport with this new group of WRs and TEs. If he's as good as many make him out to be he has to find a way to elevate the play of his teammates. Other top QBs do it all the time. Even here in Dallas Romo had the ability to transform WRs who were typically categorized as JAGS into a quality threats in the passing game. Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, etc.

The coaching staff needs to be better as well. When practically all of your game day WRs gripe about the system being too predictable, you might want reevaluate your scheme. There were far too many instances where DBs were practically running the routes of the Cowboys receivers.

Top Bottom