DC.com - How Does TE Sort Out Post-Witten?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Of course a lot of this is on Dak as well. He needs to be better and build a rapport with this new group of WRs and TEs. If he's as good as many make him out to be he has to find a way to elevate the play of his teammates. Other top QBs do it all the time. Even here in Dallas Romo had the ability to transform WRs who were typically categorized as JAGS into a quality threats in the passing game. Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, etc.

The coaching staff needs to be better as well. When practically all of your game day WRs gripe about the system being too predictable, you might want reevaluate your scheme. There were far too many instances where DBs were practically running the routes of the Cowboys receivers.
Exactly right.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Of course a lot of this is on Dak as well. He needs to be better and build a rapport with this new group of WRs and TEs. If he's as good as many make him out to be he has to find a way to elevate the play of his teammates. Other top QBs do it all the time. Even here in Dallas Romo had the ability to transform WRs who were typically categorized as JAGS into a quality threats in the passing game. Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, etc.

The coaching staff needs to be better as well. When practically all of your game day WRs gripe about the system being too predictable, you might want reevaluate your scheme. There were far too many instances where DBs were practically running the routes of the Cowboys receivers.
Right on point. The WR position isn’t as critical as some let on. If Dak up to his game potential the receivers will be fine. It’s more about the QB than receivers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Call me an asshole, but Witten's faith does not mean a lot to me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Call me an asshole, but Witten's faith does not mean a lot to me.
He’s too nice and completely untrustworthy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He’s too nice and completely untrustworthy.
He was also hyper-competitive. I don't buy he took an active role in making sure that Fasano, Bennett (especially) and Escobar developed to succeed along with him. He was a bit of a ball hog, just like any other diva receiver. He had Romo's eye for years.

Granted, it was not his job to mentor anyone. But for people to assume he is just this saint is just not true. He was as cut throat as anyone. And that was not really a bad thing overall. He was a player that had a standard and that is needed.

But in recent years, it was pretty clear the role he and also Romo had. They were in the family portrait. There is no denying that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was also hyper-competitive. I don't buy he took an active role in making sure that Fasano, Bennett (especially) and Escobar developed to succeed along with him. He was a bit of a ball hog, just like any other diva receiver. He had Romo's eye for years.

Granted, it was not his job to mentor anyone. But for people to assume he is just this saint is just not true.
You're right on this, and by "nice" I meant his media persona and general public demeanor, especially when discussing anyone on his own team.

And you freaking want your players to be aggressively cut throat and competitive, BTW. Makes for a tougher team frankly.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You're right on this, and by "nice" I meant his media persona and general public demeanor, especially when discussing anyone on his own team.

And you freaking want your players to be aggressively cut throat and competitive, BTW. Makes for a tougher team frankly.
I can’t recall Witten ever having a tantrum on the sideline or getting upset about anyone but himself. I can’t tell you when I have ever seen a better team player than him. The few times he has been upset it was usually about something he did that he wasn’t happy about. Players of his caliber are few and far between,

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
If you're bitching about Jason Witten, you are just looking for things to bitch about. I wish we had more players just like him on the team. If we did, we'd be competing for super bowls.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If you're bitching about Jason Witten, you are just looking for things to bitch about. I wish we had more players just like him on the team. If we did, we'd be competing for super bowls.
Yep.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Correct.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
How much could Witten really believe in Swaim? He can't even spell his name right. :tippytoe

Top Bottom