boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys
By SportsDayDFW.com
Contact SportsDayDFW.com
on Twitter:
@SportsDayDFW

Former Cowboys fullback and Fox Sports broadcaster Daryl "Moose" Johnston recently joined Fox 4 News to talk all things Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights:

What does Jason Garrett have to do to ensure he keeps his job?

DJ: The same thing that every coach does and that's win football games. I'm biased because I don't only respect Jason Garrett as a football coach, but because he's a friend of mine. I look at it through a different lens.

There's an ebb and flow. I think everybody has to take a step back when you have a tough season. When Dallas has struggled and they haven't been able to follow up a good season with another good season, there's been a pretty glaring reason why that hasn't happened.

So I think you've got to be able to give a head coach time. It's one of the great things John Madden said, and this was about the San Francisco 49ers when they moved away from Steve Mariucci but they had no plan after that. Sometimes you do that and all of a sudden you find yourself in a decade of mediocrity, and in San Francisco's case, not even mediocrity. That was a tough decade. They made a change for change's sake and nobody was there.

Jason Garrett, in my opinion, moving forward gives Dallas the best opportunity. They've got that window right now with a quarterback and a very talented running back on rookie contracts. To make a change right now, that would be sabotage to that organization. Keep everything in place, take a run with this window that's there.

I just think a lot of people are going to be surprised. I think the secondary is going to be very good. I think Kris Richard has done a great job with these guys. So the areas that everybody is concerned about, wide receiver, secondary, I think are going to be very surprising to the Dallas fanbase this season.

Expectations for Dak Prescott and the offense

DJ: I was able to be out there for OTAs and for the minicamp and I saw a progression with Dak Prescott through that time frame. His footwork, the platform he was throwing from is getting much more consistent.

I think the concern by the fanbase with the wide receiver group may be a little bit premature. I was really impressed with the talent across the board. Is there a pure number one out there? No, but there's not a lot of teams in the NFL that have that pure number one. Because this is a run-first offense that's built around a great offensive line and Ezekiel Elliott, the passing game is something that is going to be complementary.

If we can do running back by committee in Green Bay because we like to throw the ball more than we run the ball, why can't we do wide receiver by committee in Dallas because we like to run the ball more than we throw the ball?

So I think it's just a different philosophy here in Dallas and I was very impressed with the skill level. I think Michael Gallup's going to surprise some people, I think he's got some skills that are beyond his age range. He's got great hands, great feel for the sideline, good body control. I think that this wide receiver group is going to surprise some people and I think Sanjay Lal is going to maximize the abilities that group has.

midswat

... soon
Well... the moose is dead to me.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'm biased because I don't only respect Jason Garrett as a football coach, but because he's a friend of mine.
Which makes this entire article worthless.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Hit his head too many times clearing holes for Emmitt.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Im happy to know Jerry will go to his grave with this coach being the one he wasted his last years on trying to get back to the SB.

Run-on sentence like a mofo.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Sometimes you do that and all of a sudden you find yourself in a decade of mediocrity,

Stopped reading. What do you call the last 22 years?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Silly Moose.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Don't worry. In another decade or two Garrett is finally going to catch on to this coaching thing. Just be patient.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Moose is a company man, like Witten: wouldn't say shit if he had a mouthful.

When a team has been so far away from the big dance for so long, there ain't nothin' left to say. Blow smoke, pump sunshine, collect your check from Fox, move on.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Moose isnt like Troy that way. Troy, as most of you know, goes out of his way to appear unbiased. He actually comes across as "anti" Cowboys many times. But if asked about his old backup QB, Redball, I bet he might go Moose and stick with the positives. I wonder.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I still suspect this was another reason Jerry loved the idea of Garrett so many years ago -- he knew Moose and Troy and all the old Glory Days players would help sell him to fans.

There's been almost as much snake oil around Garrett as around Jerry himself.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

How do you sabotage a team that hasn't come close to a SB in 20 years, and is barely over .500 during Garrett's coaching tenure?

How much worse could it get?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

How do you sabotage a team that hasn't come close to a SB in 20 years, and is barely over .500 during Garrett's coaching tenure?

How much worse could it get?
zz

Jones seems to have resolved that he would try to go to the days when Dallas was stabilized with the same coach like the days of Landry. His approach to getting the right coach by the rapid turnover method certainly didn’t turn out well for him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Jones seems to have resolved that he would try to go to the days when Dallas was stabilized with the same coach like the days of Landry.
The guy he fired about five minutes after buying the team?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
zz

Jones seems to have resolved that he would try to go to the days when Dallas was stabilized with the same coach like the days of Landry. His approach to getting the right coach by the rapid turnover method certainly didn’t turn out well for him.

I think that's perfect. But you have to find a guy who is actually worthy of keeping around for 27 years.

Landry stayed around because the team made a ton of conference championships and super bowls.

Garrett has 1 playoff win in 8 years.

I mean, you can have any coach around for 27 years if you take "results" off the table as a requirement.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The guy he fired about five minutes after buying the team?
That’s the general concensious but it wast actually the complete story. And for the record even with Landry,s tenure he probably needed to be released. I have tons of respect for his career but I think he had already seen his best days.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There are about 500 coaches who could pick up where Garrett has left off and do at least as well and likely better.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That’s the general concensious but it wast actually the complete story.
What's wrong about it?

And I know Landry needed to go, but that's not the point. The point is Jerry has never shown any reverence for the Landry era -- more like just the opposite. So I don't think he's trying to recreate it. He just doesn't want to have to replace his redheaded stooge.

Top Bottom