Why Daryl Johnston says firing Jason Garrett would 'sabotage' the Cowboys

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What's wrong about it?

And I know Landry needed to go, but that's not the point. The point is Jerry has never shown any reverence for the Landry era -- more like just the opposite. So I don't think he's trying to recreate it. He just doesn't want to have to replace his redheaded stooge.
The seller of the Cowboys( Bum Bright) and Jones met prior to the deal being finished and it was agreed that he (Bright) would tell Landry about the deal and be the one to terminate Landry prior to Jones taking ownership because Jones didn’t want to be the one to terminate Landry.

Subsequently Jones met with Jimmy Johnson for dinner at a restaurant on Stemmons Freeway near downtown Dallas. A reporter saw the two and broke the story that Jones was buying the Cowboys and Johnson was apparently the new Coach.

Bum Bright had not gotten around to telling Landry about the deal when the story broke. Landry actually never got a notice from anyone nor did he meet with anyone about the ownership change. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances but the stories from the media plastered the headlines that Jones fired Landry.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Mia’s Tex mex on Lemmon Avenue. I live close by. And actually Tex Schramm went to Austin and met with Tom.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Mia’s Tex mex on Lemmon Avenue. I live close by. And actually Tex Schramm went to Austin and met with Tom.
Could be but I think it was after the story was out and Neither the former or new owner ever met with Landry.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Landry was on the golf course when the story broke.

Regardless of who did or didn't do what Jerry has never hinored the past, imo. At least not without public pressure. It was always about his guys and now its about his way.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Could be but I think it was after the story was out and Neither the former or new owner ever met with Landry.
What do you mean? Jerry flew to Austin and fired Landry himself.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What do you mean? Jerry flew to Austin and fired Landry himself.
No. Jones never met with Landry. P1 said Schram went to Austin and met with Landry. Are you saying Jones went to Austin?

p1_

DCC 4Life
I might have misspoken, but I think Tex and Jerry might have both been there, with Jerry delivering the news.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yes... which says Jerry was there. What am I missing here?
You initially said Landry was fired about 5 minutes after Jones bought the team and it didn’t happen that way. The meeting was after they tracked him down and I don’t know how long that took but it wasn’t the same day as memory serves me. It wasn’t at a planned meeting because Landry took off upon hearing the news they had to find him to talk to him. That’s why I said it really didn’t happen the way a lot of people thinks it happened.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I might have misspoken, but I think Tex and Jerry might have both been there, with Jerry delivering the news.
Yes that’s the way it seemed to have occurred and I don’t have a exact time it all unraveled but it was a while. Landry apparently had no intention in talking to anybody after the news broke. Anyhow it is history now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You initially said Landry was fired about 5 minutes after Jones bought the team and it didn’t happen that way
Just for the record, I was speaking metaphorically there.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
You initially said Landry was fired about 5 minutes after Jones bought the team and it didn’t happen that way. The meeting was after they tracked him down and I don’t know how long that took but it wasn’t the same day as memory serves me. It wasn’t at a planned meeting because Landry took off upon hearing the news they had to find him to talk to him. That’s why I said it really didn’t happen the way a lot of people thinks it happened.
All I know is it was an unceremonious departure for the man that was an innovator that made Dallas a power house in the NFL. Did his schemes become outdated? Sure. There's no denying the man deserved better though, at least IMO.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
All I know is it was an unceremonious departure for the man that was an innovator that made Dallas a power house in the NFL. Did his schemes become outdated? Sure. There's no denying the man deserved better though, at least IMO.
I believe had Landry stayed around a lot of PR could have been done to mitigate some of the hard feelings. It was a matter of a buyer of a business had his staff put together and Landry wasn’t chosen. It was a business matter but some sports fans can’t see it as such.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The way it should have gone down is that Bright should have handled the Tom issue. Jerry gave him an easy out, but you saw that Tom's firing was a condition precedent to the sale of the team. Bright was too chicken shit to do the dirty work. Let the new owner do that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The way it should have gone down is that Bright should have handled the Tom issue. Jerry gave him an easy out, but you saw that Tom's firing was a condition precedent to the sale of the team. Bright was too chicken shit to do the dirty work. Let the new owner do that.
Yep. You see how much Flak Jones has taken. Bright didn’t want to be the whipping boy. To Brights favor however, Jones told him he would take care of it and had done some ground work to putting a transition experts to do some PR but Landry took flight and all that went away.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I believe had Landry stayed around a lot of PR could have been done to mitigate some of the hard feelings. It was a matter of a buyer of a business had his staff put together and Landry wasn’t chosen. It was a business matter but some sports fans can’t see it as such.
Yeah, JJ has and always will be a business man first.

Top Bottom