Danielle Hunter Signs Extension

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
5 years, 70 million (14.4 average), 40 guaranteed.

Seems like a reasonable barometer for Lawrence's deal, although the franchise tag being 17.1 million throws it off a bit.

I'd sign him to something resembling that Hunter deal right now, if he refuses to budge off of the 17 or so million that he's asking for I'd let it play out. If he comes out and dominates over the first half of the season like he did last year I'd probably just cave and give him the 17 a year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Seems like a reasonable barometer for Lawrence's deal, although the franchise tag being 17.1 million throws it off a bit.

I'd sign him to something resembling that Hunter deal right now, if he refuses to budge off of the 17 or so million that he's asking for I'd let it play out. If he comes out and dominates over the first half of the season like he did last year I'd probably just cave and give him the 17 a year.
Yeah, I'd be happy with that deal. 17 a year is too much right now. Like you said, he comes out on fire and proves he is real deal longterm then I re-evaluate that stance.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

It is middle of the pack in terms of what the top DL are getting though.

He might be looking for more than that, more like what guys like Chandler Jones is getting.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be ok with 16.5 but I'd hold off and only give it to him if he came out and picked up where he left off last year. If he maintains his 2017 level of play I'd be fine giving him a 16-17 a year deal around midseason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be ok with 16.5 but I'd hold off and only give it to him if he came out and picked up where he left off last year. If he maintains his 2017 level of play I'd be fine giving him a 16-17 a year deal around midseason.
The fact that Crawford is anywhere on that list makes me want to vomit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The fact that Crawford is anywhere on that list makes me want to vomit.
His contract was embarrassingly bad. It still shocks me now. It just goes to show you how poor that decision was in retrospect.

But yet, he's a "leader" and "versatile". Actually, they have been finding ways to justify that contract for several years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His contract was embarrassingly bad. It still shocks me now. It just goes to show you how poor that decision was in retrospect.

But yet, he's a "leader" and "versatile". Actually, they have been finding ways to justify that contract for several years.
I mean he isn't good at anything but dammit he is versatile!!!!!

DLK150

DCC 4Life
That $17M is too much for a guy that has only played one full season out of four for one reason or another. One "breakout" season does not make him elite, IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That $17M is too much for a guy that has only played one full season out of four for one reason or another. One "breakout" season does not make him elite, IMO.
Yeah 17 mil a year is for a true franchise player. Someone who has been considered elite at their position for multiple years. Now if he repeats that again next year, you can assume his average is going to be around the franchise tag number on an annual basis. But at this point because he has only been elite for one year you have to expect at least a little discount off the 17 mil. Probably something in the 15-16 mil per year range.

Top Bottom