Machota: Is Jason Garrett seeing similarities between current Cowboys and legendary Dallas teams of the 1990s?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is Jason Garrett seeing similarities between current Cowboys and legendary Dallas teams of the 1990s?
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

FRISCO -- When Zack Martin's contract extension is eventually finalized, the Cowboys are expected to have their three All-Pro offensive linemen (Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick) signed through the 2023 season.

The unit is regarded as Dallas' best offensive line since the great groups they had in the early 1990s, some of the best the game has ever seen.

There are some other similarities to those teams that won three Super Bowls in four years. With Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith leading the way, those teams were also built around the running game.

Several of the key players during that time were also relatively young. Smith was 23 when Dallas won its first of three Lombardi Trophies after the 1992 season. Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin were both 26. The Cowboys have gotten much younger this offseason.

But since there has been no sustained postseason success since that era, the comparisons should probably stop there.

Head coach Jason Garrett, who was a backup quarterback on two of those championship teams, was asked Tuesday if he sees some similarities between the youth and talent on the current roster and the great ones of the early 1990s.

"I think that's an unfair comparison," Garrett said. "I'm not really a big comparison guy. If you look at those teams, you've got first-ballot Hall of Famers on those teams. Really some rare, rare football players. It was a young team, but really some special, special players.

"I was really fortunate to be a part of those teams. The way those teams went about it was really special too. They came to work every day. They had fun playing football but they worked at it.

"To me, that's what we're trying to instill in our team. Let's get here early, let's stay late, let's work hard at it, let's have some fun playing football together. I think those are some of the takeaways from those teams in the early '90s."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maybe we'd finally win something if he branched out his offensive philosophy, if you can even call it that, beyond whatever he remembers from Ernie Zampese and Norv Turner 30 years ago.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Head coach Jason Garrett, who was a backup quarterback on two of those championship teams, was asked Tuesday if he sees some similarities between the youth and talent on the current roster and the great ones of the early 1990s.
:doh

Which dumbshit asked that? Machota himself?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Dak and Red are miles behind Troy and Jimmy, so ...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe we'd finally win something if he branched out his offensive philosophy, if you can even call it that, beyond whatever he remembers from Ernie Zampese and Norv Turner 30 years ago.
Yeah it's insane to me that we are still grasping to replicate something that happened 25 years ago in an NFL with different rules and a different cap structure. We are the opposite of innovative.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah it's insane to me that we are still grasping to replicate something that happened 25 years ago in an NFL with different rules and a different cap structure. We are the opposite of innovative.
Jerry is going to win his way and Garrett is going to coach his way.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah it's insane to me that we are still grasping to replicate something that happened 25 years ago in an NFL with different rules and a different cap structure.
I'm not sure we even are. For most of Garrett's time here, we threw the ball as much as anyone. It wasn't until we hit on some OL and Linehan got here in 2014 that we actually decided to run it.

I think this is something reporters came up with due to Garrett's clipboard-carrying days here. Then when asked about it, he says, "Oh yeah, that's what we're trying to do" because it sounds good.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
A perfect storm created the 90’s Cowboys and free agency, arrogance, and incompetence tore them apart almost as quickly as they had formed.

Their greatness ruined other standards of greatness.

Let’s leave the idea of that team alone. Even the role players on that team like John Gesek, Kenneth Grant, Thomas Everett, and Isaac Holt made major impacts.

Great roster through and through and fantastic coaching.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Switzer inherited loaded roster.

Top Bottom