Archer: Cowboys unsure Zack Martin, David Irving will attend minicamp

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys unsure Zack Martin, David Irving will attend minicamp
3:15 PM ET

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – When the Dallas Cowboys open their mandatory minicamp next week, coach Jason Garrett isn’t sure Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin or defensive tackle David Irving will be in attendance.

Players are subject to a fine of $84,435 if they miss all three days of the minicamp.

Martin is hoping for a long-term contract as he is slated to play 2018 on the fifth-year option worth $9.3 million. He did not take part in the organized team activities but worked out with the Cowboys’ strength and conditioning coaches.

Irving has been, “in and out over the course of these OTAs,” according to Garrett, dealing with personal issues. He was accused of domestic violence in April by a former girlfriend, who later recanted the accusation.

He took to Instagram on Wednesday, saying, "I wish the media would tell the truth about why I'm really not at OTAs," he wrote. "I wonder if they even know the real reason? There is no football, if there's no me ... Gotta help yourself before you help others right? Just stay tuned for the damn season.”

“He’s been handling some different things in his life right now,” Garrett said, “so he has not been a regular participant in the offseason program. When he’s been here we have not put him into practice. We’ve had him run on the side.”

Martin could show up for the minicamp but not participate in all of the drills.

“He’s in great shape,” Garrett said. “He’s been in our program all year long and he’s working on the side with our strength coaches right now and just doing a great job. He’s a professional so if he’s here we’ll be mindful of that, that he hasn’t practiced yet. We wouldn’t put him in a situation he can’t handle, but he can handle most things.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
What do mandatory mean?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I still wonder how much they're being influenced by their agents.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The market for Martin is pretty much set, he's going to be the highest paid OG in the league. Norwell is averaging 13.3 a year, so Martin is going to get at least 13.5-14.

Is he asking for something over the top like 15 a year or is Stephen dragging his ass haggling over a few million guaranteed here and there?

My guess is Stephen dragging his ass, I'd bet Martin's deal ends up averaging right around 14, maybe 14.5.

If we had signed him last year I think 13 would have made him the highest paid OG in the league, there's no way of knowing whether or not he would've accepted that but I'm willing to guess we could've saved about a million or so on the average annual salary if we had just extended him this time last year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He wants to be paid like the premier lineman in the league, regardless of position.

west723

Brand New Member
Need to get this done. They have 10million plus in cap space. Can't really understand why this isn't done yet. The market is set already.Get him signed. David Irving is becoming a distraction and needs to get in shape both mentally and physically.

Top Bottom