Sturm: What adding Tavon Austin tells us about Scott Linehan’s redesign plans

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
We just need to execute the plays better /gingerfuck
Yeah back 20 years ago when we had overwhelmingly superior player talent in all aspects of the game, this worked. Ginger is still living in the 90s.

But shit, even back then we had coaches who knew how to mix it up and be unpredictable when necessary.

Execution was vital when you have the lead and want to grind out the clock, it's gonna be Emmitt Smith right, Emmitt left and Emmitt up the middle, Emmitt Emmitt Emmitt and the defense knows it, can't stop it because of perfect execution. Those days are history - today they CAN stop it. And do. Today you gotta be able to scheme the fucks, make them think Emmitt, keep that threat there but while they're looking for the jab, stick 'em with the bolo punch.

All of the above are foreign concepts to Ginger.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no good reason - ever - to have Zeke on the sideline for an offensive snap. Not 3rd or 4th and long, not ever. He is a known threat to score at any given moment and defenses know that and fear that. Unfortunately our coaching doesn't know this. They're into "packages" for gadget guys which take Zeke off the field therefore removing our greatest threat.
I mean he does need rest. He can't play every down.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
I mean he does need rest. He can't play every down.
He doesn't have to carry the ball every down or run with a catch. He is a threat on the field, not on the sideline. I can see him needing a breather after a long run, but this isn't really what we're talking about. I could have let it be known I understand there are exceptions to "never have him on the sideline" but I assumed we all understand that.

What we do have is, they take him off the field in critical situations where you NEED him in if only as the threat he represents. They can't seem to grok that you can run your gadget plays with Zeke still in there. They gotta have "packages" that don't include their most dangerous player, because they're just smarter than everyone else.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He doesn't have to carry the ball every down or run with a catch. He is a threat on the field, not on the sideline. I can see him needing a breather after a long run, but this isn't really what we're talking about. I could have let it be known I understand there are exceptions to "never have him on the sideline" but I assumed we all understand that.

What we do have is, they take him off the field in critical situations where you NEED him in if only as the threat he represents. They can't seem to grok that you can run your gadget plays with Zeke still in there. They gotta have "packages" that don't include their most dangerous player, because they're just smarter than everyone else.
You can't run a NFL RB 30 times a game. We run the ball more than that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You can't run a NFL RB 30 times a game. We run the ball more than that.
You do realize you're trying to talk sense into a guy that claimed we could win the division with only 4 wins, right?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You do realize you're trying to talk sense into a guy that claimed we could win the division with only 4 wins, right?
Can we explain that "logic"?

p1_

DCC 4Life
It doesn't concern me that they want a gadget guy, but it would be moronic for Tavon to take more than just a handful of touces away from Zeke. if Zeke's coming off the field, I hope it's Bo who's spelling him...not this gadgetry.
the idea is to use the gadgetry with Zeke on the field. Then, the defense is certainly screwed. They will get caught buying into the gadgetry, and Zeke will make them pay. And dearly.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
the idea is to use the gadgetry with Zeke on the field. Then, the defense is certainly screwed. They will get caught buying into the gadgetry, and Zeke will make them pay. And dearly.

I think you're giving our offensive coaches too much credit.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Can we explain that "logic"?
He claimed that non division games didn't matter. The division winners were decided based on division record alone. So... If we swept one of the teams, and split with the other two, depending on how those two teams done in the division, we could make the playoffs as a division winner with as little as four total wins, regardless if the other teams had a better record that included non division wins.

Hearty laughs were had all around.

DCUDoomsday

Brand New Member
He claimed that non division games didn't matter. The division winners were decided based on division record alone. So... If we swept one of the teams, and split with the other two, depending on how those two teams done in the division, we could make the playoffs as a division winner with as little as four total wins, regardless if the other teams had a better record that included non division wins.

Hearty laughs were had all around.
That wasn't the claim. The claim was (accurately) that you could win the division with only 4 wins.
You do realize you're trying to talk sense
He was talking no sense because obviously he either didn't read what I posted or didn't understand it.

Just like you didn't understand winning the division with a 4-12 record.
^^^THIS guy reads and understands what he reads.

data

Forbes #1
Theoretically, an 0-10-6 record can win the division off of the lowest tiebreaker of coin toss...then go on to win the Super Bowl.

Our resident DCC Statistician told me that. @Iamtdg

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think you're giving our offensive coaches too much credit.
this much is true. And yet, any of us can look at that film and see where McVay used Austin in tandem with Gurley. That shit will be good for some serious misdirection and yardage here with Zeke. Who you gonna guard?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Maybe it would depend on down-and-distance and field position. Anymore in the NFL it seems like 3rd and three or greater is a passing situation. Offense brings in appropriate personnel and defense responds in kind.

But on 3rd and three if you had Zeke in the backfield and Austin in the slot, two TEs and a WR, is that a running formation or a passing formation?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Maybe it would depend on down-and-distance and field position. Anymore in the NFL it seems like 3rd and three or greater is a passing situation. Offense brings in appropriate personnel and defense responds in kind.

But on 3rd and three if you had Zeke in the backfield and Austin in the slot, two TEs and a WR, is that a running formation or a passing formation?
Rushing, given our TE's are unproven.

Top Bottom