Dallas Cowboys: Can Jason Garrett get himself off the hot seat?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Again, I hope you're right. Maybe I'm too cynical on this. But look at what he said about Witten and Romo -- it wasn't on coaching, it was on him. Man in the mirror.

Just lip service.
I actually think it's kind of like an addiction for him. For instance, addicts know drugs are wrong and are hurting themselves and their families, but they struggle to push away from the problem. I think Jerry knows he hasn't done a good job and that there are others who are more qualified to do the job, but he just can't bring himself to turn over the decision making to someone else.

He's openly acknowledged on more than one occasion that he'd have fired the GM a long time ago if they produced the results that he's produced.

He's too addicted to doing things his way, so I doubt watching Witten and Romo walk out of here with minimal team success to show for their time in Dallas will influence him to chance his methodology.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He does lament them (Romo and Witt) not winning it all during their careers as Cowboys on All or Nothing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He does lament them (Romo and Witt) not winning it all during their careers as Cowboys on All or Nothing.
I'm sure it does bother him. But what's he going to change to ensure this doesn't happen to the next generation of Cowboys?

Probably nothing....and that's my point.

I'm sure he understands there are football minds out there who are far better qualified to run the day to day operations of the Dallas Cowboys than he and his family. But he's not wired in a way that will allow him sit back like Kraft and the Rooneys and watch others build a championship.

So Jerry lamenting the organization's failure to fully maximize the brilliant careers of guys like Ware, Witten, and Romo doesn't give me any type of hope that he'll change.

To me it's just dramatic show for the public.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm sure it does bother him. But what's he going to change to ensure this doesn't happen to the next generation of Cowboys?

Probably nothing....and that's my point.

I'm sure he understands there are football minds out there who are far better qualified to run the day to day operations of the Dallas Cowboys than he and his family. But he's not wired in a way that will allow him sit back like Kraft and the Rooneys and watch others build a championship.

So Jerry lamenting the organization's failure to fully maximize the brilliant careers of guys like Ware, Witten, and Romo doesn't give me any type of hope that he'll change.

To me it's just dramatic show for the public.
Yep.

I think Jerry thinks he's good at being a GM, but that's not why he's doing it. He's doing it because he wants to. He's said on multiple occasions that (1) a GM with his track record would have otherwise been fired by now, and (2) he wouldn't want to own the team without running it.

He's also said he thinks the cowboys have an advantage being run this way, because he can make in-the-moment decisions without having to check with anybody.

It's not a results based position so it doesn't matter what he laments. Things will never ever change.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Terrell Owens wonders why Jerry Jones doesn’t fire Jason Garrett
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 17, 2018, 3:01 PM EDT

Jason Garrett was the offensive coordinator for two of Terrell Owens’ three seasons in Dallas, but as a head coach, Garrett is in over his head, Owens says.

Owens said on 105.3 The Fan that he he doesn’t know why Garrett remains the coach despite never advancing past the divisional round of the playoffs.

“I have no idea. You know what’s really tough? When you really look at it, it doesn’t make sense for Jason Garrett to continue to have his job. [The organization is] not really expanding or progressing even as a team under his coaching tenure there,” Owens said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I think Jerry [Jones] — again he’s the owner at the end of the day, he has to feel good with himself about the decisions — but I just don’t understand why this guy [Garrett] still has a job.”

Owens didn’t always see eye to eye with Andy Reid, who sent Owens packing from Philadelphia, but Owens says Reid was a far better coach than Garrett. In Owens’ opinion, Garrett just doesn’t get the job done.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
T.O. just doesn't see what is being built here.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yes it will, he's really old... :tippytoe
Then Stephen takes over and some of the stuff he says doesn't give me much confidence.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He's obviously ignorant to the process.
I found it interesting that he thought Reid was so much better than Garrett. They both fired him so he shouldn't have a particular axe to grind. I would agree with his assessment, obviously.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Everyone agrees with that assessment, Reid is much better than Garrett.

p1_

DCC 4Life

The 44-year-old Owens also drew an NBA comparison, pointing to the Toronto Raptors' recent firing of head coach Dwane Casey. Casey went 320-238 (.573) in seven seasons with five playoff appearances, including one trip to the Eastern Conference finals. Garrett has gone 67-53 (.558) in seven-plus seasons with two playoff appearances.

"(Casey) was voted unanimous coach of the year, has taken Toronto to the playoffs, had three straight years of winning 50-plus games and then they don't make it beyond what the expectations are within that organization and he gets fired," Owens said on The Fan. "And then you have Jason Garrett, who has no accomplishments, not even close to that, and he continues to still have a job.

"It all boils down to players being the scapegoat for his inability to lead the team as he should. For me, it's mind-boggling. I don't understand it. And I think Jerry (Jones) — again, he's the owner at the end of the day, he has to feel good with himself about the decisions — but I just don't understand why this guy still has a job."

townsend

Banned
I’m loving Owens taking Garrett to the woodshed, I defended Garrett last offseason, because I made the faulty assumption that he’d taken a step forward. That Atlanta game absolutely proved he didn’t. It was exactly the same game as our divisional round loss to the Vikings in 09 when Flozell went down, and Garrett could not adjust. He has not improved as a coach since he was an unqualified coordinator, and he needs 9 or more healthy pro bowl quality starters for his offense to function.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’m loving Owens taking Garrett to the woodshed, I defended Garrett last offseason, because I made the faulty assumption that he’d taken a step forward. That Atlanta game absolutely proved he didn’t. It was exactly the same game as our divisional round loss to the Vikings in 09 when Flozell went down, and Garrett could not adjust. He has not improved as a coach since he was an unqualified coordinator, and he needs 9 or more healthy pro bowl quality starters for his offense to function.
In All or Nothing in the next coaches meeting Garrett owns his inability to adjust during the game. When he fucks up, it’s spectacular.

townsend

Banned
In All or Nothing in the next coaches meeting Garrett owns his inability to adjust during the game. When he fucks up, it’s spectacular.
It’s kinda like a surgeon admitting he passes out at the sight of blood, like good job with the self awareness, but you are definitely in the wrong job.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It’s kinda like a surgeon admitting he passes out at the sight of blood, like good job with the self awareness, but you are definitely in the wrong job.
Yep.

Garrett is smart and literate, but he is also ridiculously stubborn and lacks a basic ability to reach his players and coaches.

Top Bottom