Dallas Cowboys: Can Jason Garrett get himself off the hot seat?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It took 11 years for Tom Landry to win a Super Bowl and he wasn't competing about 31 other teams in a salary cap league.
Please. Tom Landry wasn't handed a franchise QB and a team that had just won 13 games the year prior. He literally was given the dregs of the league and had to construct a team from that. Hell, he didn't even get to participate in the draft his first year. And after all that, had the team in the NFL championship game by year 7. Jason Garrett would have shit himself inside out and smoked his circuit board if he had to deal with something like that.

To even imply that Garrett might be even half as good as Tom Landry at his absolute worst is a fucking travesty.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Please. Tom Landry wasn't handed a franchise QB and a team that had just won 13 games the year prior. He literally was given the dregs of the league and had to construct a team from that. Hell, he didn't even get to participate in the draft his first year. And after all that, had the team in the NFL championship game by year 7. Jason Garrett would have shit himself inside out and smoked his circuit board if he had to deal with something like that.

To even imply that Garrett might be even half as good as Tom Landry at his absolute worst is a fucking travesty.
Way to pluck the needle out of the haystack. Did you even bother to read the entire post? I'm just saying the whole 7 years is enough time is why teams turn over coaches all the time. It doesn't always work out. I'm fine with an upgrade but I don't want change for the sake of it. We could do worse than Garrett. He's an average NFL coach.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Way to pluck the needle out of the haystack. Did you even bother to read the entire post? I'm just saying the whole 7 years is enough time is why teams turn over coaches all the time. It doesn't always work out. I'm fine with an upgrade but I don't want change for the sake of it. We could do worse than Garrett. He's an average NFL coach.
Yeah, I did. When you lead off with an excuse for a shitty coach by mentioning an alltimer to try and construct said excuse, it tends to stand out.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I did. When you lead off with an excuse for a shitty coach by mentioning an alltimer to try and construct said excuse, it tends to stand out.
The prevalent thought is that because Garrett hasn't won a Superbowl by year 7, that he's incompetent. It's lazy thinking. But whatever, you go with your fake outrage.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Just watched an "All or Nothing" clip of Garret on YouTube. He was reaming the scout team players out for lack of effort in a practice. The use of the words "fuck" or "fuckin" was gratuitous. It seemed forced.

I can't imagine that half the players in the room weren't mortified -- not by the words themselves but by how fake and forced it was. It was the least motivational, most uninspired thing I've ever seen.

When I was in basic training, drill instructors used profanity freely and often. But it was different. They were pros at cursing. And the setting was different.

That clip showed me why Garrett is a horrible coach. Bombarding players with f-bombs on one hand, then acting like Ken the cheer-leading doll on the sideline on Sunday. All forced, no spontaneity, nothing genuine.

Chocolate Lab said it above: "It's still all superficial and forced. He's still more like an actor trying to play a coach than an actual coach with talent."

Plus he sucks at Xs and Os. Maybe he really is boning Charlotte.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The prevalent thought is that because Garrett hasn't won a Superbowl by year 7, that he's incompetent. It's lazy thinking. But whatever, you go with your fake outrage.
More like consistently not getting the team to play to its potential over the last seven years.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Garrett has had to coach with the Clampetts in the front office. That's a serious millstone for any coach.

But none of that is an excuse for an unimaginative offense, getting the best out of players and talent, and being a phony individual.

Jerry is responsible for keeping Garrett in place.

They deserve each other.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That's the prevalent thinking, huh?

:lol

Find me one person that thinks that, and I'll show you another idiot to support your cause here.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Oh noes NoDak called me dumb... :budd
Actually, no. I didn't. I see my phone changed "an idiot" to another idiot so can see how you'd come to that conclusion. Oh well. Not too worried about it.

Should I be offended you accused me of lazy thinking and fake outrage?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Actually, no. I didn't. I see my phone changed "an idiot" to another idiot so can see how you'd come to that conclusion. Oh well. Not too worried about it.

Should I be offended you accused me of lazy thinking and fake outrage?
I accept your apology. :buddy

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
What hot seat? Barring a catastrophic 4 win or less season, I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. :sad

lostxn

DCC 4Life
What hot seat? Barring a catastrophic 4 win or less season, I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. :sad
Really? I don't think so. Even Broddus thinks he needed to go after last year. He's on borrowed time. Now I don't think it's SB or bust but I expect if he doesn't at least make the playoffs he's toast. Maybe even then. He can't have another Atlanta. I think the patience for coaching losses is at an end.

1bigfan13

Staff member
"Play your best players"

"Make halftime adjustments"

Garretts been here for almost a decade, and he still hasn't mastered things that seem like they would've been covered in the first chapter of a Complete Idiots Guide to Coaching book.
Those were my thoughts as well.

There are coaches in their early 30s who understand basic football strategy and the need for adjustments. There's no excuse for this 50-something year old man not to have a solid grasp of coaching fundamentals.

IMO, his biggest weakness is unwillingness to commit to playing to his team's strengths. Those 2013 Packers and 2017 Seahawks game will always stick out to me as prime examples of Garrett's limitations as a coach.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Really? I don't think so. Even Broddus thinks he needed to go after last year. He's on borrowed time. Now I don't think it's SB or bust but I expect if he doesn't at least make the playoffs he's toast. Maybe even then. He can't have another Atlanta. I think the patience for coaching losses is at an end.
I'd like to believe that were the case, but I just don't think winning is that important to the Joneses anymore. They appear fine with mediocrity.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I'd like to believe that were the case, but I just don't think winning is that important to the Joneses anymore. They appear fine with mediocrity.
Gosh I've never, ever thought that was the case. You see the Jones's after losses and they are visibly depressed. You watch their body language during games and it's pretty clear they care as much, if not more, than fans. They live this shit. That being said, I don't think they always make the best decisions. That's pretty obvious.

I am seeing a general trend towards better and better decisions being made. Really happy with this offseason. It wasn't perfect. Going all in on Sammy Watkins would have been a bad decision and I'm glad we missed out there. Still, we made a lot of prudent moves, patching holes and getting rid of dead wood.

Is the SB a realistic goal for this team? Probably not. Our talent at WR and TE is likely going to be a problem. Could we get lucky with Gathers and Gallup? Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yea that's because he doesn't know how to elevate rosters beyond their talent level with X's and O's, generally speaking.
That's one of my many problems with him.

I have no problem with him being a "walk-around" coach, primarily because of his limitations as an X's & O's guy, but this SOB can't even do that right. There are way too many examples of Linehan & Romo being unnecessarily too cute and pass happy, which resulted in lost opportunities to win games. Even though he's not the OC or play caller, as the head coach he still has the authority to reel in his OC and QB when they are going astray.

I didn't see that happen nearly enough with Garrett. He just stood there clapping like a toothless idiot while sure victories slipped away.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Gosh I've never, ever thought that was the case. You see the Jones's after losses and they are visibly depressed. You watch their body language during games and it's pretty clear they care as much, if not more, than fans. They live this shit. That being said, I don't think they always make the best decisions. That's pretty obvious.

I am seeing a general trend towards better and better decisions being made. Really happy with this offseason. It wasn't perfect. Going all in on Sammy Watkins would have been a bad decision and I'm glad we missed out there. Still, we made a lot of prudent moves, patching holes and getting rid of dead wood.

Is the SB a realistic goal for this team? Probably not. Our talent at WR and TE is likely going to be a problem. Could we get lucky with Gathers and Gallup? Perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Sure Jerry will look and sound depressed 15 minutes after the game during the press conference, but 24 hours later he's pedaling the same BS excuses and grinning ear to ear about the entertainment and showmanship of the Dallas Cowboys.

It's been at least 5 years since I legitimately thought Jerry was upset and angry enough to possibly make a coaching change.

That's why I say they are content with mediocrity.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure Jerry will look and sound depressed 15 minutes after the game during the press conference, but 24 hours later he's pedaling the same BS excuses and grinning ear to ear about the entertainment and showmanship of the Dallas Cowboys.

It's been at least 5 years since I legitimately thought Jerry was upset and angry enough to possibly make a coaching change.

They love it when they are "this close".

This organization is basically a Jones family heirloom at this stage.

When Jerry Jr.'s stupid fucking middle school kid was waltzing around the draft room like he owned it, how can you take any of them seriously?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Jerry is in the HOF now so in his mind he has been acknowledged as a "football guy" so he has zero motivation to change how things are run

Top Bottom