Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTAs/Mini-camps Thread...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by boozeman View Post
    Good, I think Cedrick Wilson is a real sleeper at WR.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
      Good, I think Cedrick Wilson is a real sleeper at WR.
      Yep. I like our WR corps, especially if Hurns returns to form an health.

      Comment


      • #33
        I like the idea that we have a group of WRs that could potentially battle it out. If we allow them to to that we should come out the other side with a few players.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Bluestar71 View Post
          Tapper is the Matt Johnson of DEs.
          Completely forgot about him, Dallas gave Johnson what, 2 years to prove he could stay on the field? Another wasted mid round pick.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by DLK150 View Post
            Completely forgot about him, Dallas gave Johnson what, 2 years to prove he could stay on the field? Another wasted mid round pick.
            It was a little different with him, there was little competition to keep them from doing that.

            It was not just the wasted pick with Johnson. It was keeping him hanging around, chewing up a roster spot when he was healthy and above all else his "potential" keeping the team from adding more talent in the hopes that it didn't stunt his "progress".

            Tapper won't have that luxury. He will have plenty of guys ready to take his spot in the pecking order. There is pretty decent depth. We may not have the inside stud we so badly need, but when you have the likes of Datone Jones and Ealy on the roster it makes it less likely to want to waste time and energy on a teasing turd like Tapper.

            Comment


            • #36
              The clock is ticking on Tapper.
              defense wins championships

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by p1_ View Post
                The clock is ticking on Tapper.
                I think that Clock already struck 12. Ealy, Gregory and Taco all training while he has another injury...
                2018 Pickem Champion

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Bluestar71 View Post
                  Tapper is the Matt Johnson of DEs.
                  He’s all but done at this point. No way to make the roster except on IR.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Tapper should just tap out, nomesayin'?

                    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                      It was a little different with him, there was little competition to keep them from doing that.

                      It was not just the wasted pick with Johnson. It was keeping him hanging around, chewing up a roster spot when he was healthy and above all else his "potential" keeping the team from adding more talent in the hopes that it didn't stunt his "progress".

                      Tapper won't have that luxury. He will have plenty of guys ready to take his spot in the pecking order. There is pretty decent depth. We may not have the inside stud we so badly need, but when you have the likes of Datone Jones and Ealy on the roster it makes it less likely to want to waste time and energy on a teasing turd like Tapper.
                      Looking forward about 2 years I really like where we're at on the DL, assuming we can find ourselves a stud DT, and assuming Lawrence can give us about 8-12 sacks a year which seems reasonable assuming health.

                      You have Lawrence/Charlton/Armstrong at DE, perhaps one of Ealy/Gregory can establish themselves in the rotation as well. I think Charlton will give us a solid 6 or so sacks a year with very good run defense and Armstrong has starter potential as well.

                      At DT I like Collins as a long-term starter, he can play either the 3 or 1, you'd just rather have him be your 2nd best DT and not your top guy at the position. I don't think Irving is long for this team all things considered so ideally we find a guy in the draft next year in what could be a rare DL class. Guys like Ward, Jones, or Price should give us decent enough depth as well moving forward.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
                        Looking forward about 2 years I really like where we're at on the DL, assuming we can find ourselves a stud DT, and assuming Lawrence can give us about 8-12 sacks a year which seems reasonable assuming health.

                        You have Lawrence/Charlton/Armstrong at DE, perhaps one of Ealy/Gregory can establish themselves in the rotation as well. I think Charlton will give us a solid 6 or so sacks a year with very good run defense and Armstrong has starter potential as well.

                        At DT I like Collins as a long-term starter, he can play either the 3 or 1, you'd just rather have him be your 2nd best DT and not your top guy at the position. I don't think Irving is long for this team all things considered so ideally we find a guy in the draft next year in what could be a rare DL class. Guys like Ward, Jones, or Price should give us decent enough depth as well moving forward.
                        Are you assuming Irving sucks this year?
                        2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
                          Looking forward about 2 years I really like where we're at on the DL, assuming we can find ourselves a stud DT, and assuming Lawrence can give us about 8-12 sacks a year which seems reasonable assuming health.

                          You have Lawrence/Charlton/Armstrong at DE, perhaps one of Ealy/Gregory can establish themselves in the rotation as well. I think Charlton will give us a solid 6 or so sacks a year with very good run defense and Armstrong has starter potential as well.

                          At DT I like Collins as a long-term starter, he can play either the 3 or 1, you'd just rather have him be your 2nd best DT and not your top guy at the position. I don't think Irving is long for this team all things considered so ideally we find a guy in the draft next year in what could be a rare DL class. Guys like Ward, Jones, or Price should give us decent enough depth as well moving forward.
                          I agree. And it's kind of sad on Irving. The guy has the ability to be one of the best DT's in the NFL in our defense. But he just seems like a headcase who is going to probably be on his way out. It's unfortunate for him because if he wasn't he'd have the chance to be paid like one of the top DT's in the NFL after this season. I guess instead we use him and let him go. It's just hard to find 6'7" guys like him that move so well in the middle of this defense.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
                            Are you assuming Irving sucks this year?
                            I think he's assuming Irving is a headcase that the coaching staff doesn't want signed to a mega contract. I'd probably franchise him though if we can sign Lawrence long term so we don't have to use the tag there.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                              I think he's assuming Irving is a headcase that the coaching staff doesn't want signed to a mega contract. I'd probably franchise him though if we can sign Lawrence long term so we don't have to use the tag there.
                              This.

                              The franchise tag could be an option if he has a huge year but at this point I don't think there is any way they sign him to a contract at 12 or so per year, which is what it'd take him if he puts up another 8 or so sacks and stays healthy.

                              I think there is a chance that he has a good but not great year, teams are scared off by his antics, and we keep him around on a short, below market deal. Either way I don't think the team looks at him as a cornerstone.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Dallas Cowboys camp war: Bo Scarbrough vs. Darius Jackson
                                by Brad Austin3 hours ago

                                The Dallas Cowboys added a familiar face to the running back mix. In the coming war for third rusher, each player has advantages.
                                Things are about to get chippy among the Dallas Cowboys faithful with Darius Jackson’s return to the running back room. Fiery debates are just getting started.

                                The Landry Hat’s own Steven Mullenax recently wrote an excellent backstory on Jackson’s attributes and short time in Dallas.

                                Most NFL fans have a notoriously short memory and live in the moment. But with Jackson, a large Dallas contingent still values the legitimate promise he displayed.

                                They also recall management’s horrible decision to ditch years of promise to activate aged veteran Darren McFadden for three games and 87 measly yards.

                                TWO-BACK DRAFT SUCCESS

                                Both Ezekiel Elliott and Jackson were plucked by Dallas in the same 2016 draft. Zeke was a lock to start through 2020. However, if Jackson proved worthy, that draft would’ve also secured a solid back-up runner through 2019.

                                Jackson proved his mettle in live preseason action. He led all Cowboys backs with 141 rushing yards and ranked 14th among NFL rushers. Joseph Randle is the only Cowboys preseason back to rush for more yards (221) since 2013.

                                The kid had it, most Cowboys fans knew it, and the team needlessly trashed it.

                                Fast forward to the 2018 draft. Dallas again spent a late round pick on a talented, unheralded, big back. Alabama’s Bo Scarbrough was an applauded make-up call.

                                Things have heated up now that the Jackson redo invited the actual man himself to challenge the new rookie for the back-up spot he once was destined for.

                                CONTRACT FAVORS THE ROOKIE

                                Jackson signed a one-year deal but Dallas holds exclusive free agent rights for 2019. He won’t be able to negotiate with other teams, and could be retained fairly cheap.

                                Scarbrough is locked in for four years and unable to leave until 2022. The team holding his rights for an extra two years certainly weighs in his favor.

                                Although if Jackson clearly performs better, it would be careless to sacrifice a superior player for a more secure back-up spot three years down the road.

                                SKILLS LEAN TO THE VETERAN

                                Jackson is faster, more shifty, and a far better receiver. If seeking an every down insurance policy for Elliott, Jackson may even challenge Rod Smith in this area.

                                He’s also likely more developed in pass protection than the rookie. He did it well in the 2016 preseason and Scarbrough was critiqued on some draft reports.

                                However, the massive Alabama back does have a few very intriguing advantages. The brutish offensive line in Dallas will support his one-cut, banging style.

                                Behind a weak line a slower developing takeoff would have trouble. The Dallas line gets push and opens creases fast, which he may be able to exploit in a big way.

                                Another strength is his potential unique fit as a goal line bruiser. No other runner on the roster has the wrecking ball size and power to be a short-yardage hammer.

                                Get the popcorn ready, this one has the makings of an all-out roster spot war.
                                2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X