Raiders' Ryan Switzer says Cowboys miscast him as RB

GShock

DCC 4Life
I can see the advantage of having a WR who can line up as a RB, or a RB who can line up as a WR.

But you can't fit a square peg into a round hole.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Linehan, with his spread background, really wants more of the “spread to run” RB/WR slot type, especially for the post-Witten era. Tried it with Switzer; Austin is tailor-made for the role.

http://https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/3/2/17071196/a-new-kind-of-slot-receiver-in-the-spread-hybrids-mark-andrews-flex-te-urban-meyer-lincoln-riley

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I wouldn’t be surprised if Linehan, with his spread background, really wants more of the “spread to run” RB/WR slot type, especially for the post-Witten era. Tried it with Switzer; Austin is tailor-made for the role.

http://https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/3/2/17071196/a-new-kind-of-slot-receiver-in-the-spread-hybrids-mark-andrews-flex-te-urban-meyer-lincoln-riley
That would make sense except Garrett has tried to have it since he's been here, going all the way back to taking Felix over the HC's choice CJ

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
" type="video/mp4"> " type="video/ogg"> " type="video/webm"> " type="video/gifv"> " width="320" height="240"> " width="320" height="240">
That would make sense except Garrett has tried to have it since he's been here, going all the way back to taking Felix over the HC's choice CJ
It just seems to be this theoretical itch they can never scratch.

It is really weird.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins, what a fucking waste of a draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both of those guys played well their first year or two and then both turned to shit. It was weird.
Yeah Mike Jenkins could just never stay healthy. Felix was Felix. A part time college player who was best as a part time professional player. Just never should have been a first round pick.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I fucking hate the staff's obsession with this "web back" role and how they apparently ruined Switzer's one year audition with this crap. He could have been groomed into a Beasley replacement, or even more than Beasley.
What was that "web back" stuff about anyway? Web back? Sounds like another trendy new term that the coach uses to sound cool. Garrett loves those. ("Position Flex" :doh)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm completely making this up but I'd imagine "web back" is called that because you can line a guy up in the backfield as a RB and have him run a route in any direction, making it look like a spider web on a whiteboard if you drew the spot where the RB lines up and all the directions he could run a route in.

It's bullshit consultant talk, which is probably what Garrett is best at.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm completely making this up but I'd imagine "web back" is called that because you can line a guy up in the backfield as a RB and have him run a route in any direction, making it look like a spider web on a whiteboard if you drew the spot where the RB lines up and all the directions he could run a route in.

It's bullshit consultant talk, which is probably what Garrett is best at.
I just wonder what the point is if teams don't respect the guy as a running back. If all you're doing is lining up a WR in the backfield it seems like it would be pretty easy for a defense to figure out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They said on the Ticket they suspect the term might come from the Oregon system where it was featured, ie, ducks? Have webbed feat? I dunno.

Sturm said he thought they just made the term up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just wonder what the point is if teams don't respect the guy as a running back. If all you're doing is lining up a WR in the backfield it seems like it would be pretty easy for a defense to figure out.
Our offensive braintrust is not exactly top tier so there isn't much to wonder about here.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They said on the Ticket they suspect the term might come from the Oregon system where it was featured, ie, ducks? Have webbed feat? I dunno.

Sturm said he thought they just made the term up.
Pretty sure it's completely made up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our offensive braintrust is not exactly top tier so there isn't much to wonder about here.
It was like when we used Lance Dunbar and everyone knew he was going to run some sort of a route. He sucked at picking up the blitz and was terrible at running the ball. So what exactly did it accomplish? Defenses knew exactly what he was going to do. We used him like a WR who lined up differently. Of course this coaching staff knows nothing but telegraphing 95% of what they are going to do ahead of time.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah Mike Jenkins could just never stay healthy. Felix was Felix. A part time college player who was best as a part time professional player. Just never should have been a first round pick.
Felix just seemed like he never really gave a damn. I want killers on the field, which is hard to find with these youngins these days.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
There was a lot of hype around both Jones and McFadden coming out of Arkansas. Knowing Jerral, that may have influenced the pick as well back then. McFadden at least patched together a halfway decent career but Jones kind of just faded into the sunset.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a lot of hype around both Jones and McFadden coming out of Arkansas. Knowing Jerral, that may have influenced the pick as well back then. McFadden at least patched together a halfway decent career but Jones kind of just faded into the sunset.
I have no doubt that Jerry's love of Arkansas gave him an edge. I just never could understand the concept of taking a college change of pace back in the first round.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have no doubt that Jerry's love of Arkansas gave him an edge. I just never could understand the concept of taking a college change of pace back in the first round.
Jerry didn’t think enough of McFadden to draft him. Even after he landed on the team he still took a back seat to other running backs. He didn’t protect him from getting cut loose from the team when the time was right. I don’t have a memory that Jones catered to Arkansas players at all. Very few players from Arkansas has been on the Cowboys roster since Jones tenure.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, the whole line of thinking that Jerry is infatuated with Arkansas is lazy and retarded.

Top Bottom