Jerry Jones: Ayuh or Feh?

Jerry Jones: Ayuh or Feh?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Kelly Conway's on the phone for you. She wants to offer you a job in Trump's communications shop. Seriously. Anyone who can twist and spin the fiction of an equivalence between the NE Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys since 1989 has a gold-plated future the Trump administration.
The ask was to judge 38 years of Jones’ tenure.

Cowboys are one of four teams with three Lombardi trophies in that time.

If you’re judging just the time from 1996 on, then it’s obviously a big feh.

But that wasn’t the question.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
It's actually a little embarrassing to be a Cowboys fan these days. Until that gets rectified fuck Jerry. All the millions that go into his pocket from the team's notoriety and sometimes infamy mean nothing to me. The Cowboys used to be about winning and not just an entertaining circus. And all of that is on Jerry using the franchise as his private fantasy football team. So, yeah, major Feh on him.

data

Forbes #1
But give me Jeffrey Lurie, Robert Kraft, Arthur Blank, etc, any reasonably active and bright businessman running an NFL team, and combine that with the national allure of the Cowboys, and you probably have similar exposure.
You’ve named three owners, but can you name 16 owners that are a clear upgrade over Garrett...er...Jerruh? Otherwise, I’m not getting rid of Jerruh for another JAG owner. Cuz Jerruh is clearly not the worst NFL owner.

On a more serious note, I wouldn’t discount the financial mess Jerruh turned around, losing $1M per month and accruing $3M per month more in interest. How many owners could’ve accomplished profitability? Were the Patriots, Eagles or Falcons in the red at time of purchase?

Overall, pulling profitability out of a red franchise, 3 SBs and fan-access-friendly...how many owners today could pull that off if they instead bought the Cowboys in 1989?

data

Forbes #1
Lostxn laughs at your meek attempt to get poll master back.
:lol

Oh this is a guerilla tactical takeover. Fuckin Nat Geo style with bull moose locking horns with another alpha male for mating rights with the herd’s harem of females.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Oh, pdom.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
:lol

Oh this is a guerilla tactical takeover. Fuckin Nat Geo style with bull moose locking horns with another alpha male for mating rights with the herd’s harem of females.
16-2. Great poll, bro. :tippytoe

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
post edited for content.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You’ve named three owners, but can you name 16 owners that are a clear upgrade over Garrett...er...Jerruh? Otherwise, I’m not getting rid of Jerruh for another JAG owner. Cuz Jerruh is clearly not the worst NFL owner.
Any of them who hires a GM.

On a more serious note, I wouldn’t discount the financial mess Jerruh turned around, losing $1M per month and accruing $3M per month more in interest. How many owners could’ve accomplished profitability? Were the Patriots, Eagles or Falcons in the red at time of purchase?

Overall, pulling profitability out of a red franchise, 3 SBs and fan-access-friendly...how many owners today could pull that off if they instead bought the Cowboys in 1989?
Lots, I'd think, if they had Jimmy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jimmy walked. He left for another lover.

data

Forbes #1
Amazing that Jimmuh got skunked out of the playoffs 38-3 and 62-7 to end his pro career.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's besides my point.
Maybe not because he couldn’t resurrect any other team to be contenders. In addition his mind wasn’t on the Dallas team any longer so who knows the outcome of a hypothetical additional season for Johnson in Dallas.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Maybe not because he couldn’t resurrect any other team to be contenders. In addition his mind wasn’t on the Dallas team any longer so who knows the outcome of a hypothetical additional season for Johnson in Dallas.
If you want to use that logic you can also say that Dallas hasn't been to another Super Bowl since Jerry has taken over.

Jerry had nothing to do with the early 90s success and his ego couldnt take it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wasn’t talking about any additional seasons in Dallas, so it is, in fact, besides my point.

Jerry had Jimmy when he was at his best. The question is, what other owner could have done what Jerry did if he bought the Cowboys in 1989?

Pretty much any of them if they had a prior relationship with Jimmy and got him in his coaching prime those years.

It goes back to my original post. Jerry had success because he was insightful enough to bring in Jimmy. You can’t take that away from Jerry. But you can say Jimmy was the prime mover.

But yes, it’s worth questioning, would we have three Super Bowls in 30 years if another owner had bought the team and didn’t have Jimmy Johnson on hand to hire? Maybe not. That’s why you have to have the conversation about whether Jones’ tenure has been “worth it” because even with way more recent success you may be trading 3 Super Bowls for just 2 or something.

However everyone can agree that no matter what you decide on the overall tenure, the time is way, way overdue for a change that would be for the better in terms of top of the organization personnel structure. Neither Jerry nor Stephen is a football man and whatever benefits that had are now far outweighed by not having a football man, and have been for 20 years.

And the craziest thing is, they could retain control. Just go hire the best personnel guy out there. Not Will McClay.

But they won’t do that. They want someone friendly to their interests of not walking on eggshells and a coach who lets the owner sit in on team meetings and chime in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom