Mike White Highlights

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
In 2014, Romo had Murray, Zach, Leary, Smith and Frederick. Not to mention Dez at his peak. So yeah, Romo had a loaded gun in '14. Its no coincidence that the GB playoff was the closest Romo ever came to sniffing a conference title.
Romo also had Garrett as his head coach back then.

If they'd have let the running game eat up the clock, who knows what could have happened that season?

I still say that Murray and that line could have made that 4th & 2, rather than throwing to Dez.

When there's so much parity in the league, it's proven that a quality coach puts you over the top.

Romo and now Dak show up with a handicap in that department.

How many NFL head coaches ice their own damn kicker?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What edge can Dak bring to elevate us from average coaching? We are screwed.

Hopefully he's working on his timing and mechanics, but he's such a natural and learned leader...folks just naturally want to follow him. I believe that's going to be his edge.

Romo, as great as he was, seemed to let his bromance with Witten isolate other teammates. I don't think that'll be the case with Dak, he seems to enjoy spreading the love.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hopefully he's working on his timing and mechanics, but he's such a natural and learned leader...folks just naturally want to follow him. I believe that's going to be his edge.

Romo, as great as he was, seemed to let his bromance with Witten isolate other teammates. I don't think that'll be the case with Dak, he seems to enjoy spreading the love.
Yhe only players I’m aware of this happening with were TO and maybe Bennett, and we know what these two are like in the locker room.

Austin, Crayton, Dez, Twill, Beasley, Hell Laurent Robinson— Romo put all of them on the map. Hard to do without great chemistry if you ask me. Romo even got Roy Williams involved. He did it all while helping newbie WRs figure out where to line up live.

Dak lacks the creativity I’ve grown accustomed to, and 2017 showed defenses have pinned down the sure and steady approach that worked in 2016.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So what’s his edge? What talent does Prescott have that takes us deep into the playoffs?

We had three all pros on the OL and an elite RB talent in Zeke until Atlanta.

When did Romo ever have that?

What more do we need to win with Dak?

This is why I wanted a player like Vea at any cost. When you have a great defense and running game, your QB can take years to mature like Roethlisberger or Flacco and you can contend every year.

Now we’re left hoping Dak magically gets Philly 2017 coaching and carries the team.

We’re fucked.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Are you arguing we need to build a really strong overall team, including the defense, to make things easier on Dak?

I don't think anybody would argue with that being the goal and I think most would argue that they're doing a pretty good job of it, at least as far as the draft goes, free agency is another story.

I mean, we were 5-3 going into that Atlanta game and that was despite the fact that the defense crumbled to shit every time Lee was out, which directly cost us 2 games over those first 8. There is still much work to be done there obviously but I think LVE will go a long way to solidifying the middle of the defense, certainly while Lee is on the field, but I also think he'll provide some cover in case Lee is out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yhe only players I’m aware of this happening with were TO and maybe Bennett, and we know what these two are like in the locker room.

Austin, Crayton, Dez, Twill, Beasley, Hell Laurent Robinson— Romo put all of them on the map. Hard to do without great chemistry if you ask me. Romo even got Roy Williams involved. He did it all while helping newbie WRs figure out where to line up live.

Dak lacks the creativity I’ve grown accustomed to, and 2017 showed defenses have pinned down the sure and steady approach that worked in 2016.
You're over exaggerating the whole "defenses caught up" angle. 2017 was more about the unimaginative offense, losing Smith/Elliott, and the turnover along the OL that nobody really talks about because of the Elliott/Smith stuff.

The offense showed flashes of what it looked like in 2016, primarily against the Rams, Packers, and Chiefs, and of course the 49ers but I don't really count that, it's just that the season was torpedoed all at the same time with the loss of Smith/Elliott, which exacerbated the stale play-calling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

Are you arguing we need to build a really strong overall team, including the defense, to make things easier on Dak?

I don't think anybody would argue with that being the goal and I think most would argue that they're doing a pretty good job of it, at least as far as the draft goes, free agency is another story.

I mean, we were 5-3 going into that Atlanta game and that was despite the fact that the defense crumbled to shit every time Lee was out, which directly cost us 2 games over those first 8. There is still much work to be done there obviously but I think LVE will go a long way to solidifying the middle of the defense, certainly while Lee is on the field, but I also think he'll provide some cover in case Lee is out.
I think a big part of the turn around defensively last year was Sean Lee. But another massive part and maybe even more important was that the young DB's started playing a lot the second half of the season. When we had a healthy Chido, Lewis and Woods our defense was totally different. I think those guys continued development will pay huge dividends. Throw in LVE and I think our pass defense could take the next step into being excellent. I'm actually really excited about potential of this defense. Irving and Lawrence can provide a special pass rush. The DB's are better than I can ever remember. We've actually got 3 LBers I really like with high ceilings.

Now if we can get this offense back to the ground and pound ways of 2016 when Dez was out significant portions of the season I think we could be back in business. Plus we actually have some receivers finally who can catch the ball and maybe do something with it. Deepest our receiver corp has been in a long time.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think a big part of the turn around defensively last year was Sean Lee. But another massive part and maybe even more important was that the young DB's started playing a lot the second half of the season. When we had a healthy Chido, Lewis and Woods our defense was totally different. I think those guys continued development will pay huge dividends.
Indeed, many times this time last year I said I expected growing pains early in the year in the secondary but that they'd improve as the season went on.

I thought we'd be able to get by early on, which we probably could have if Lee stayed on the field, but he didn't and we saw what happened.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Lawrence and Irving made those rookies' jobs easier

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

I get what you're saying, but Romo is calling games on the television set.

Dak has something that inspires his teammates, and he's got some amazing talent to work with.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I was watching some games from last season and I believe I found a QB White can be compared to...

* Thanks to Roger Goodell, this one will only stream on YouTube.

Even their body type, coming out of college, is virtually identical (White is 2" taller).

Yes/No?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Dak has something that inspires his teammates, and he's got some amazing talent to work with.
Yeah people need to stop getting hung up on Romo. Dak isn't Romo. He brings his own unique skills that we have seen can be extremely successful.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

So Dak’s unique skill is leaving inspiring little post it notes to fire up the superior talent around him?

Whatever differentiating talent he will end up with, I hope he develops it soon.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I’ve been asking what these are and no one can answer.

Does the offense require overwhelming talent for Dak to be successful?
Well' to start:

Mobility (and not just a "running" QB, but a legit running threat )
Accuracy while on the move
Poise in the pocket
Maturity, natural leader
Good deep ball

After only 2 seasons what more do you expect?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

You're comparing a 2nd year Prescott under very difficult circumstances to a finished product in Romo.

Romo was still fucking around and throwing away games nearly 10 years into his career, let's not act like he was a year in, year out MVP candidate throughout his career. Part of that was the fault of the team around him but some of it was on him too and I feel like in hindsight people are overemphasizing the good and glossing over the bad. He also had the benefit of not playing until his 4th year in the league, we're still 20+ games away from seeing Prescott at the same point in his career that Romo was when he started his first game.

At any rate, the point I made previously is that people need to reconcile the fact that Prescott may never be as good as Romo with the fact that even if he isn't that doesn't mean he's a guy we can't win with. The attributes PT listed are all valid and make Prescott a guy you can win with, he still has to develop obviously but I'm willing to bet on him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He has excellent mobility. He reads defenses extremely well. He has elite leadership skills. He throws with very good timing and anticipation. He does a great job of buying time. Is one of the best QB's in the NFL at dealing with the blitz.

He doesn't require overwhelming talent to be successful. He just requires good protection. Something that falls apart at times. But no a past their prime WR and TE don't qualify as "overwhelming" talent. It's why I think he will actually do better this year even without them.

And oh yeah the man is clutch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He just requires good protection. Something that falls apart at times. But no a past their prime WR and TE don't qualify as "overwhelming" talent. It's why I think he will actually do better this year even without them.
He had that talent in 2016. In 2017 he had three all-pros playing most of the year on the OL and struggled. That level of talent is an unreasonable expectation.

You have to make up for it somehow, especially as a young player.

Early on

Ben had the size, toughness, and arm.
Peyton studied like few QBs ever had and was an elite passer
Brees had quickness and accuracy
Brady had insane will and late game focus
Rodgers had everything
Romo had a quick release and could create plays with his eyes

I love that Dak doesn’t rely on his feet to run unless it’s to buy time, get a first down, or score.

But that’s not enough of a differentiator. Every NFL starter has poise and can lead when things are going well.

His release is not quick, he’s not especially accurate, and he doesn’t create plays or setup safeties with his eyes.

Dak reads defenses when he has time— of course he does. Every NFL caliber QB does when they have Dallas 2016 time.

And oh yeah the man is clutch.
Not last year he wasn’t.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak and Romo are two completely different QBs. Comparing the two is dumb. They both have their own set of unique skills. And, my god, Dak has only been here for 2 years, FFS. Pump the bust brakes already.

Top Bottom