Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

Yeah I think it was bad timing. Now I’m not so sure that the Cowboys didn’t have that info released on purpose to make all the teams drafting ahead of them try and grab a TE before Dallas so other players Dallas wants will make it to them. As of now Witten is mulling over the options. I mean if it’s legit why would he all of the sudden do it NOW after the first round is over. There is something else to it. Might be something to do with the Earl Thomas thing. Who knows.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jerry is apparently saying Witten has not made a final decision.

But that sounds to me like trying to cover for the fact that we now have to take a TE in round 2 or 3.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Like it matters. The staff has a hard-on for Uncle Rico. So until he proves that he can’t play, we’re not doing shit.

GShock

DCC 4Life
The problem with the "they've known this for weeks" argument is that it then means that they knew Witten was leaving (and knew or should have known Hannah's shaky status) and did absofuckinglutely nothing at TE in FA.

Even if you assume Jerry and Goof Son are capable of such GM malpractice (not unreasonable), you think Garrett and Linehan, who are pretty much on 1-year prove it deals this year, wouldn't be screaming to get a replacement (or frankly, two)? They were ok replacing a first ballot HOFer with Swaim, Uncle Rico, and something named "Jarwin"? Hell, didn't we just do some bullshit no cost extension with him to create cap space?

C'mon, even they are not THAT incompetent.

They surely knew of the reports and the possibility, but I guarantee they were counting on him for one more year. ESPN found out he was going to a competitor, reported it, and here we are.

Unless Jerry talks him out of it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The problem with the "they've known this for weeks" argument is that it then means that they knew Witten was leaving (and knew or should have known Hannah's shaky status) and did absofuckinglutely nothing at TE in FA.

Even if you assume Jerry and Goof Son are capable of such GM malpractice (not unreasonable), you think Garrett and Linehan, who are pretty much on 1-year prove it deals this year, wouldn't be screaming to get a replacement (or frankly, two)? They were ok replacing a first ballot HOFer with Swaim, Uncle Rico, and something named "Jarwin"? Hell, didn't we just do some bullshit no cost extension with him to create cap space?

C'mon, even they are not THAT incompetent.

They surely knew of the reports and the possibility, but I guarantee they were counting on him for one more year. ESPN found out he was going to a competitor, reported it, and here we are.

Unless Jerry talks him out of it.
He already had the meeting and all we have left is the official announcement. As much as I want to bash Garrett and the front office I have to think you are correct.

GShock

DCC 4Life

:dunce

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Crystal Pepsi ftmfw

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Jason Witten has made no decisions
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2018, 3:38 PM EDT

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says Jason Witten has made no final decisions about his future, despite an ESPN report that Witten is planning to retire and work for ESPN.
“He has some things to think about and discuss with his family from a professional perspective,” Jones said. “He also told me he is going to need some more time for consideration, at least through the weekend. He has not made any decisions that are definite at this time. We have no announcement at this time.”

Jones said he and Witten have been in contact regularly this week and that he considers Witten a valuable member of the Cowboys organization.

“I’ve talked to Jason several times this week. I’ve met with him, I met with him as late as just a few hours ago, and we’ve had great discussions. I’ll keep the details of those discussions private forever,” Jones said.

Jones said he’s expecting Witten to come to a decision some time after this weekend.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Geez, David Moore just said on the Ticket that the team knew this was a possibility, but they gave it a low probability. :doh
Sounds like it's another classic example of Jerry assuming he could wheel and deal his way out of a problem. Probably thought he could fast-talk Witten into playing another season so he made very little effort into looking for successors.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Jason Witten has made no decisions
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2018, 3:38 PM EDT

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says Jason Witten has made no final decisions about his future, despite an ESPN report that Witten is planning to retire and work for ESPN.
“He has some things to think about and discuss with his family from a professional perspective,” Jones said. “He also told me he is going to need some more time for consideration, at least through the weekend. He has not made any decisions that are definite at this time. We have no announcement at this time.”

Jones said he and Witten have been in contact regularly this week and that he considers Witten a valuable member of the Cowboys organization.

“I’ve talked to Jason several times this week. I’ve met with him, I met with him as late as just a few hours ago, and we’ve had great discussions. I’ll keep the details of those discussions private forever,” Jones said.

Jones said he’s expecting Witten to come to a decision some time after this weekend.
They are scrambling because of the timing of the leak.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Ah, so after the weekend, meaning after the event that is pretty much our only chance this year of finding an adequate replacement. Awesome.

Thanks, Jason! <3

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

:dunce
Even if they didn't know, there's no excuse for not looking long and hard at tight ends anyway.

Even before this news broke it was widely assumed that Witten only had a year or two left in him.

Sounds like these clowns were trying to wait until after he held his retirement ceremony to begin the search for his replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom