Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If you have to beg him to stay you’re in a bad spot.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well and frankly in third and long situations I'd rather see someone like Rico out there who can stretch a defense and make a play with the ball in his hands.
Surely you definitely mean someone like what you imagine Gathers is, not what he really is which is a guy that can't play.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Don't call it domestic side. Sounds like you think he is hurting for money. Its greed. I'm not saying its wrong pursue what he wants to do but when you twice publically announce that you are returning something made you change your mind. Top that off with Jerry mentioning that he can increase salary then lets just call it greed.
I refer to domestic as regard for the family and their needs. I believe that is one of the factors he has considered when he considered retiring. I really havent tied domestic to greed.

Rev

Staff member
I refer to domestic as regard for the family and their needs. I believe that is one of the factors he has considered when he considered retiring. I really havent tied domestic to greed.
Thats not what this is, though. He is being enticed by money and Im finding it hard to believe he would need anything after making millions over the years. Maybe if he came out and said that he was retiring to begin with but not after assuring Dallas two different times that he was playing. This is just a case of chasing money.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thats not what this is, though. He is being enticed by money and Im finding it hard to believe he would need anything after making millions over the years. Maybe if he came out and said that he was retiring to begin with but not after assuring Dallas two different times that he was playing. This is just a case of chasing money.
We can assume that money is a factor but I have not seen or heard anything that indicates Witten is looking for more money. I have heard that Jones has offered him more.

Rev

Staff member
We can assume that money is a factor but I have not seen or heard anything that indicates Witten is looking for more money. I have heard that Jones has offered him more.
Sometimes it doesn't have to be said.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely you definitely mean someone like what you imagine Gathers is, not what he really is which is a guy that can't play.
Sure you hate Rico. I'm talking about the TE who made big plays in preseason last year catching the ball.

Rev

Staff member
Sure you hate Rico. I'm talking about the TE who made big plays in preseason last year catching the ball.
Big difference between preseason and regular season against starters. Just don't think you can be that confident about his abilities yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big difference between preseason and regular season against starters. Just don't think you can be that confident about his abilities yet.
I'm not, but his size and athleticism is easy to see which is what I refer to when I say someone "like" Rico. The point remains, Witten was totally useless in third and long situations. Not all TEs are.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I just want the drama to be over one way or another so both sides can just move along. This team needs to focus on OTAs, TC and the upcoming season.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Restructured deal on Jason Witten creates odd financial standoff
The Cowboys thought they were doing the right thing but now they're in a bit of a pickle.
Patrik Walker - 5 hours ago 0

It's been a wild ride here lately for Jason Witten and the Dallas Cowboys, if only contractually.

Signed to a shiny new four-year extension in 2017 worth upwards of $26 million to keep the 11-time pro bowl tight end locked in through the 2021 season, there was no one breathing who could've predicted only one offseason later he'd be seriously contemplating retirement. It seems like just yesterday (which, ironically, it nearly was) when Witten stood fast and firmly committed to not only playing a 16th year this coming season and on through to the ripe age of 40, so when the news broke on Day Two of the 2018 NFL Draft he was considering calling it a career to take the throne at ESPN's Monday Night Football, the collective NFL and the Cowboys' accounting was turned on its head.

After all, the team had recently pulled the trigger to restructure his one-year old extension on March 24, only 33 days before the retirement nuke was fired. It hasn't yet landed but the writing is most certainly on the wall here, and it creates some interesting questions relating to how the Cowboys will handle the exit of their future first-ballot Hall of Famer. The restructure in March converted $4.7 million of Witten's 2018 pay into a signing bonus, lowering his salary cap hit for this coming season by nearly $3.5 million.

This was fantastic at a time when it was presumed he'd return as promised, but not so much now, considering that $4.7 million is now fully guaranteed and paid upfront (as signing bonuses always are).

If he retires as now expected, Witten will have to give that money back to the Cowboys. They do have the option of not going after the funds though, something they did in 2017 when they allowed former quarterback Tony Romo to keep $5 million of bonus money in his pocket after being released/retiring in April. If allowed to keep the $4.7 million, it'll be paid in four installments of $1.175 million annually through 2021. In an even stranger twist, the restructure leaves Witten's to-be-earned salary for 2018 at only $1.05 million with $705K in potential in-game roster bonuses, maxing his non-guaranteed money for this year at just under $1.8 million -- which makes the reported annual $4.5 million salary* (or upwards thereof) that much more difficult to turn down.

Witten has never made decisions based upon money, but he's also not naive to the broadcasting opportunity staring in him the face...and the wallet. And as for the Cowboys, they'll probably let him keep the $4.7 million, ironically making his decision to leave a bit easier while head coach Jason Garrett lobbies to keep it from happening.

David Moore of The Dallas Morning News

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why would they let Witten keep the signing bonus? It was different with Romo. The team was cutting Romo, he wasn't leaving through his own volition like Witten.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would they let Witten keep the signing bonus? It was different with Romo. The team was cutting Romo, he wasn't leaving through his own volition like Witten.
Yeah there is no doubt we should ask for the money back. I mean the guy just signed the deal. If he wants to retire why should he get to keep that money?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah there is no doubt we should ask for the money back. I mean the guy just signed the deal. If he wants to retire why should he get to keep that money?
There is no chance in hell they come after him for the money. This organization is not that cutthroat.

Top Bottom