Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I suspect that Witten hasn’t been pleased with the way he has been utilized as a reciever since Prescott has been the pitch guy. His duties and routes have been slanted to using him more as a blocker than a reciever. I think he may be disenchanted after last season that guys like Bryant had poor stats but the schemes were still directed as forced patterns to him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Beasley was a little disenchanted with the schemes as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are scrambling because of the timing of the leak.
I can't believe Witten didn't announce this months ago. It's pretty shitty of him. I'd take this as an opportunity to get a WR and TE with the next two picks and make our offense way more explosive but at the same time, he could have let us know to start looking at TE's months ago.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I suspect that Witten hasn’t been pleased with the way he has been utilized as a reciever since Prescott has been the pitch guy. His duties and routes have been slanted to using him more as a blocker than a reciever. I think he may be disenchanted after last season that guys like Bryant had poor stats but the schemes were still directed as forced patterns to him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Beasley was a little disenchanted with the schemes as well.
Beasely and a couple of others (Dez was 1) have voiced their concerns with the lack of creativity in the Cowboys' offense.

It's a known problem. The question is, will they do anything about it.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Maybe Witten's brains are too scrambled from too many hits to the head. He's wandering around, talking to himself, blabbering, disoriented and not sure where he is or what he should do.

Kind of like Jerry.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Beasely and a couple of others (Dez was 1) have voiced their concerns with the lack of creativity in the Cowboys' offense.

It's a known problem. The question is, will they do anything about it.
I hope so because it appears that the egg basket is highly slanted to Zeke and his suspensions dropped an anchor on the offense. The whole offense was completely out of sync last season and it may be that guys like Witten feels like they may be treading water this season.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Maybe Witten's brains are too scrambled from too many hits to the head. He's wandering around, talking to himself, blabbering, disoriented and not sure where he is or what he should do.

Kind of like Jerry.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Kind of like Jerry.
Witten is one of the most stand up guys to ever play for the Cowboys. I am pretty comfortable with the feeling that his decision what ever it may be is a matter that has been given considerable thought and consideration.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Just a question.
Ok, well here's answer:

Tony Romo career record: 78-49

Jason Witten career record: 135-105

Dez Bryant career record: 68-60 (team record since Bryant was drafted)

Average offensive rank (points) in the 5 full seasons they played together: 9th

Average offensive rank (yards) in the 5 full seasons they played together: 9th

Average offensive rank (points) in the 9 full seasons Romo and Witten played together: 9th

Average offensive rank (yards) in the 9 full seasons Romo and Witten played together: 8th

Explain how the team "sucked" while they were here?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
From DC.com. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/04/27/jerry-jones-jason-witten-needs-“few-more-days”-ponder-his-future

Addressing earlier reports that veteran tight end Jason Witten is considering a move from football to broadcasting, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said Friday that Witten “has not made any decisions that are definite at this time” and “has some things to think about” regarding his professional future, at least through the weekend.
So basically he's going to hold the team hostage through the entire draft. Quit waffling and make up your fricking mind so the team knows what it has to do moving forward, this cliff hanger drama BS is getting old.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Im not sure how Jerry feels he can speak for Jason. I havent seen anything to indicate that he has made attempts to correct or change the story of his pending retirement.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
From DC.com. http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/04/27/jerry-jones-jason-witten-needs-“few-more-days”-ponder-his-future

So basically he's going to hold the team hostage through the entire draft. Quit waffling and make up your fricking mind so the team knows what it has to do moving forward, this cliff hanger drama BS is getting old.
If you think Witten and the Cowboys don't know for certain what he's doing, and that they didn't know this until today you're fooling yourself. There is ZERO chance this was just sprung on everybody today.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If you think Witten and the Cowboys don't know for certain what he's doing, and that they didn't know this until today you're fooling yourself. There is ZERO chance this was just sprung on everybody today.
I don't doubt it at all. The timing sucks regardless. I'll stand by my earlier position that if the team was 100% certain he was going to call it quits that it may have affected the draft board unless they're 100% comfortable with the current depth at the position, which is possible.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree and I think it stems from the offensive schemes the past two years.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Basically he’ll have an answer after he runs a 10 yard dig route.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If you aren’t planning for a 15 year vet to be perpetually on the verge of retirement you are a bad organization.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Escobar was their plan. :-(
I doubt Escobar was their replacement plan for Witten. He was just another in the long, failed attempt of Garrett wanting to copy the Patriots 2 TE offense.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I doubt Escobar was their replacement plan for Witten. He was just another in the long, failed attempt of Garrett wanting to copy the Patriots 2 TE offense.
You don't take a pass catching TE in the 2nd round unless you think he's the heir apparent. The 2 TE thing died with Bennett.

Top Bottom