Breaking: Jason Witten To Retire

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I feel like my house was sort of like that until I found a woman...

All electronics and leather coaches.
At least hang some shit on your walls and get a floor lamp or something. You're a football player, I'm sure you've got some jerseys you can frame and put up.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I have a neighbor with a pleather couch.

He still wears short shorts from the 80s.

His nuts hang out of his shorts and have worn the top off the cushion where he sits all the time.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I have a neighbor with a pleather couch.

He still wears short shorts from the 80s.

His nuts hang out of his shorts and have worn the top off the cushion where he sits all the time.
That is so nasty...

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Fitting that we are having this discussion in the Witten thread, considering this board was born the year after he was drafted.
I've been a member here since the beginning when a bunch of us got sick of Teh Zone!!1!1!! Not trying to be hostile or anything.. :shrug

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah this is Gathers shot at this thing. He has the ability to be an explosive TE. But he's going to have to work his ass off for that job. If he falters this year I expect an athletic TE to be near the top of my wish list next year. I'd love to see Gathers become what we all saw in preseason last year as a receiver. But there is also something about the guy I don't trust.

This is the Rico I want to see next year, minus the dumb ass fumble.

Unless youve missed the late convo, Gathers is falling way out of favor. Its not clear why, but every TE not named Rico is being mentioned as the life after Witt crew.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jason's hair looked suspiciously nice and full yesterday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless youve missed the late convo, Gathers is falling way out of favor. Its not clear why, but every TE not named Rico is being mentioned as the life after Witt crew.
No I know. But I don't know what the reason is. The whole IR thing was really weird last year. I just wonder though once camp starts and Rico is catching a bunch of balls if they will stick with that. Or if they are intentionally not talking about him right now as a way to motivate him. The same way they sort of won't talk about Gregory.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I couldn’t help but wonder if that IR thing was bogus to some degree, as a way to keep him and not use a roster spot on him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn’t help but wonder if that IR thing was bogus to some degree, as a way to keep him and not use a roster spot on him.
That's what I thought at first as well. But then I thought that maybe Rico was the one kind of refusing to play or was sort of milking the concussion to cash a check and not play.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was posting here in 2003.
This site wasn't born until right before the draft in 2004. Unless I'm remembering wrong.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A couple of us were posting on another board, Mazevo or some shit like that, and that board split into this one and the Zone. The split happened in like 2003 or so I think so that's what PT was thinking I'm pretty sure.

It was like him, booze, EZ, sbk, maybe 1big, myself and a few others. I was about 16.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I posted at Mazevo since 01 or 02. Dcc never split from the zone. This site and the zone split from Mazevo over the Hutchinschlong.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jason Witten not a Hall of Famer? Some pundits (Skip Bayless) don't think so

By Peter Dawson
pdawson@star-telegram.com

May 04, 2018 04:40 PM

Even Jason Witten has to suffer through internet trolls.

The tight end, who is one of the greatest players in Cowboys' history, retired on Tuesday.

And while most people believe he will eventually have his plaque enshrined in the NFL Hall-of-Fame, several members of the media could not resist the opportunity to cast doubt on Witten's chances.

"I'm tough on the Hall-of-Fame," FS1's Skip Bayless said. "I think it's getting softer and softer into the Hall of Fame... But Jason Witten would not be in my Hall of Fame. My standards are high. Did he change the game? Was he a transcendent player? No. He was a really good... There's that 'Hall of Very Good' I talk about. He's in that ' Hall of Very Good.' He played 15 years and missed 1 game... That's durability man."

Here is Steven Ruiz from USAToday:

"Witten has put up the volume stats, but he was not a very efficient player during his career. And if we’re putting him in Canton because he stayed healthy and stacked numbers, then you should also consider Matthew Stafford a lock for the Hall of Fame if he keeps up his current pace. Do you? If the answer is no (and it is), then you shouldn’t consider Witten a lock either."

ESPN's Jeff Legwold (who covers the Broncos) believes Witten is "worthy" of the hall-of-fame, but he should have to wait. It should be noted that Legwold covered Broncos tight end Shannon Sharpe, who got in on his fourth try.

All day, fans have been showing the icon love and support. Former teammates such as Dez Bryant and Tony Romo, amongst others, have lauded Witten, too.

Even former Cowboys head coach and notable grump Bill Parcells said of Witten: "He's what pro football is supposed to be about."

The durable tight end is the Cowboys' all-time leader in receiving yards (12,448) games played (239) and games started (179).He also ranks third in franchise history with 68 receiving touchdowns.

His career receptions total ranks fourth in league history (1,152), trailing just Jerry Rice (49ers and Raiders), Tony Gonzalez (Chiefs and Falcons) and Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals).

There are just eight tight ends who have been inducted – Kellen Winslow, Jackie Smith, Ozzie Newsome, Charlie Sanders, Shannon Sharpe, John Mackey, Mike Ditka and Dave Casper.

Gonzalez is expected to be the next tight end inducted as he’s eligible in 2019. Witten's name is first eligible to be on the ballot in 2023.

Cotton

Staff member
A couple of us were posting on another board, Mazevo or some shit like that, and that board split into this one and the Zone. The split happened in like 2003 or so I think so that's what PT was thinking I'm pretty sure.

It was like him, booze, EZ, sbk, maybe 1big, myself and a few others. I was about 16.
I never posted on Mazevo. I joined this board right after the split. You all have [MENTION=28]Rev[/MENTION] to thank for that. :unsure

Cotton

Staff member
bbgun said:
"I'm tough on the Hall-of-Fame," FS1's Skip Bayless said. "I think it's getting softer and softer into the Hall of Fame... But Jason Witten would not be in my Hall of Fame. My standards are high. Did he change the game? Was he a transcendent player? No. He was a really good... There's that 'Hall of Very Good' I talk about. He's in that ' Hall of Very Good.'
Bayless is an idiot. Witten will be first ballot. If he is not the Hall should just close its doors for good.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I never posted on Mazevo. I joined this board right after the split. You all have [MENTION=28]Rev[/MENTION] to thank for that. :unsure
I've been a consistent lurker since the 2005 draft. I used to post more but I have had some jobs that made my time next to zero and my interest waned some in the futility that is Jason Garrett.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I've been a consistent lurker since the 2005 draft. I used to post more but I have had some jobs that made my time next to zero and my interest waned some in the futility that is Jason Garrett.
I hear ya. If you interest hasn't waned some, then you are either the most hardcore of the hardcore, or you are CrazyCowboy.

Top Bottom