2018 Weekend Draft Chatter Thread

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The only thing that would make me cry is seeing him sit on the bench next year while Witten hogs 97% of the offensive snaps again and averages 7 yards a catch.

I'd probably take Kirk or Chark in that scenario though. Or maybe Ronnie Harrison, I really like him. Not bad options at all.

I don't trust Hursts heart. Thickening of the lining of his heart. Something that can't be fixed and continue his career.
Well apparently Dallas is pretty raw so working him in would make some sense. It would pretty much put Witten on a one year left situation. If not, it's a wasted pick. I just think he might be more special as a TE than Kirk or Chark is as a WR. He's a better player. Then maybe you look at someone like Fountain late.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If that's the way it shakes out, I take Goedert and don't look back. There will still be WRs to be had in the 3rd. Trade up if need be. But Goedert will help us transition from Witten, and we'll enjoy another top TE for the next 10+ years.
Looks pretty good. I can live with him at #2 pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well apparently Dallas is pretty raw so working him in would make some sense. It would pretty much put Witten on a one year left situation. If not, it's a wasted pick. I just think he might be more special as a TE than Kirk or Chark is as a WR. He's a better player. Then maybe you look at someone like Fountain late.
I don't think he is raw at all actually. He just played a lower level of competition. Before I draft him though I need someone with the balls to pull Witten off the field. If someone would do that I'd love Dallas. Big plays can come from the TE spot too, we've just all forgotten what that looks like with Witten.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I don't think he is raw at all actually. He just played a lower level of competition. Before I draft him though I need someone with the balls to pull Witten off the field. If someone would do that I'd love Dallas. Big plays can come from the TE spot too, we've just all forgotten what that looks like with Witten.
--10. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (6-5, 256, 4.70, #86)

Goedert needs time to refine his routes and blocking, but those deficiencies are based more inexperience rather than inability. His physical skill-set and dependable ball skills make him the top tight end option in this class.

- Brugler

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
--10. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State (6-5, 256, 4.70, #86)

Goedert needs time to refine his routes and blocking, but those deficiencies are based more inexperience rather than inability. His physical skill-set and dependable ball skills make him the top tight end option in this class.

- Brugler
Yeah I really like him. I just think of him as more polished because he actually played a traditional TE role as opposed to Andrew's who was a glorified slot reciever for example.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Goedert is one of the best case scenarios at 50, I'd love it.

Given the depth left on the board I wouldn't give up our 2nd for Thomas. They can take our 3rd or we can try to sign him next year for nothing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kipers best available

1. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
Is Jackson a one-year wonder? That one year as a contributor was fantastic -- he led the FBS with eight interceptions. He's going to be a good get at the top of the second round.

2. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
Guice has first-round talent, and he can be a three-down back. When Leonard Fournette got injured at LSU in 2016, there was no drop-off with Guice. Now, Guice isn't the same level of athlete as Fournette, but Guice can break tackles and has enough speed. Tampa Bay at pick 38 is a team to watch for running backs.

2018 NFL DRAFT

Rounds 2-3: Friday, 7 p.m., ESPN/ESPN App
Rounds 4-7: Sat., noon, ESPN/ABC/ESPN App
More draft coverage » | Rounds »

•InsiderKiper: Kiper's Round 1 winners, questions »
•InsiderKiper: Best available prospects on Day 2 »
• Nation: Pros, cons for every pick »
• Browns take Baker Mayfield with top pick »
• Jets select Sam Darnold at No. 3 »
• Bills trade up to 10 for Josh Allen »
• Cardinals move up to take Josh Rosen »
• Clay: Round 1 fantasy reaction »

3. Justin Reid, S, Stanford
I like Reid a lot. I said earlier this month that he's probably going to make my All-Rookie Team, wherever he ends up. He rose up boards because of his combine numbers, and he could be a steal at the top of Round 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
I'm a little surprised Goedert is still on the board. He's my top-ranked tight end. My comp throughout the process for him has been the Eagles' Zach Ertz. Could he make it to Miami at pick 42?

5. Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
Hernandez is one of the best run-blocking guards I've graded. Ever. He can get a little off balance at times in pass protection, but he's so good as a run-blocker that teams just need to run behind him on every third-and-1. He's a 327-pound mauler.

6. Harold Landry, OLB, Boston College
I loved Landry in 2016. He had 16.5 sacks as a junior. And he had a really strong combine a few months ago. But Landry struggled with an ankle injury last season and wasn't the same player, finishing with only five sacks in eight games. So, which player is an NFL team going to get? That's the question. He's the best 3-4 pass-rusher in this class.

7. Ronald Jones II, RB, USC
When I watch Jones on tape, the word "elusive" sticks out. He just makes people miss. I know some teams like Jones as the second-best back in this class.

8. Donte Jackson, CB, LSU
Jackson is a burner -- 4.32-second 40-yard dash speed. He is one of the fastest prospects in this class, and I thought there was a chance he could go in the first 32 picks. He's only 5-10, 178 pounds, so he's smaller, but look at what Adoree' Jackson (5-11, 185) did as a rookie for the Titans.

9. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville
I've already got Christian going to the Browns at pick 35 in my perfect Browns mock draft. It makes too much sense. Joe Thomas is gone, and there's going to be a competition at left tackle. Christian could win that job.

10. James Daniels, C, Iowa
If it's an offensive lineman out of Iowa, you know he's going to be technically sound. Daniels is athletic and physical, and he doesn't turn 21 until September.

11. Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
Gesicki was one of the top combine risers after he posted a ridiculous 40 time (4.54) and vertical leap (41.5 inches). His tape is up and down, though, and you'd like to see him extend for catches more. He uses his body too much. Dallas at pick 50 makes a ton of sense.

12. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC
I wrote this earlier this month: "Nwosu might be the best pure pass-rusher available when Round 2 begins on Friday night." And guess where we are now? At 6-2, 251, he's undersized, but he's a relentless edge rusher who's perfect for a 3-4 team. How about the Redskins at pick 44?

13. Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado

At 6-0, 201, Oliver is a bigger corner. And his 4.50 40 at the combine is fast enough. I like him early on Day 2.

14. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
A team could trade up at the top of Round 2 to take Rudolph, the No. 6 quarterback in this class. He's a little stiff athletically, but he throws a great deep ball and he has a ton of experience.

15. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
Chubb might fall to the 50s, but I really like him. He showed at the combine that he's getting back his elite athleticism that the knee injury in 2015 took away.

16-25
16. Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
17. D.J. Chark, WR, LSU
18. Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
19. Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
20. Connor Williams, OT, Texas
21. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
22. Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia
23. Jessie Bates III, S, Wake Forest
24. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
25. Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Fucking Giants are going to have Hernandez fall into their laps.

I'll bet barring trades, the Browns take Landry then the Giants pair Hernandez with Barkley. Then Cleveland will probably go with either Guice or Williams.

Indianapolis is set up nice for the 2nd round. Two picks at the top of the round, and another right before we pick. If we wanted to trade up, they might be a willing partner. They have the 4th and 5th picks of the round. Give us one of their first picks, then they'd have back to back picks again at 49 and 50.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The only thing I noticed in the highlight clips with Goedart is every single catch he made is with someone on him. They are all spectacular grabs because he is bigger and stronger than the guys covering him. No separation at all. He won't have the size strength thing in the NFL and if he can't separate he'll be worthless. Hell Jason is 50 years old and he still gets some separation.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The only thing I noticed in the highlight clips with Goedart is every single catch he made is with someone on him. They are all spectacular grabs because he is bigger and stronger than the guys covering him. No separation at all. He won't have the size strength thing in the NFL and if he can't separate he'll be worthless. Hell Jason is 50 years old and he still gets some separation.
I noticed the same thing. Then I realized those as DBs and safeties covering him mostly. You aren't going to outrun those guys as a TE, generally. But yeah, I think he has some work to do on route running.

EDIT: Gesicki is pretty damn fucking good as well but I don't think he likes to block at all.

Last edited:

GShock

DCC 4Life
EDIT: Gesicki is pretty damn fucking good as well but I don't think he likes to block at all.
He is, but is a bad fit for our offense (as it is currently constituted).

He'll be a weapon for someone, though.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'd love nothing better than to have Will Hernandez fall to 50.
I would jerk it clean off if that happens. And, then burn the world to the ground if we pass on him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What would you give Cleveland to get Hernandez?
You would have to give up a third. You might be able to get away with two 4s, but not likely. And, I'm not willing to give up my third for a G, and as you all know, I am a huge fan of his.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I'm betting Sutton is at the top of teh Cowboys wishlist today.

Would you trade up?
I wouldn't. I sort of feel that mid-2 to mid-4 is the fat part of the draft. Someone will fall to us in the 2nd capable of contributing significantly right away.

And I feel that there is just too much depth still at WR to make a move up for one.

Top Bottom