2018 Weekend Draft Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I actually like the Armstrong pick. I like the profile of guys who play in major conferences for terrible downtrodden teams but still manage to make a name for themselves. And I remember when OU played them, the comments were that KU is horrible but the one part of their team that is okay is their D-line, and Armstrong is the one to worry about.
My understanding is the only reason his production dropped off last year after a 10 sack season was a change in scheme that required him to play run first, pass second.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
My understanding is the only reason his production dropped off last year after a 10 sack season was a change in scheme that required him to play run first, pass second.
Yep, kind of reminds me of Tapper in Mike Stoops' terrible scheme/player usage.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I don't care for players from schools known for basketball. See: Byron Jones.

Cotton

Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
When your team sucks and you are desperate to stop the run pass rusher tend to be hidden.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I mean Kansas is like a bottom 3 Power 5 program, they don't many options when it comes to who plays where.

I'm guessing their coaches knew they were going to suck one way or the other and primarily only cared about implementing their system whether or not it fit the current roster. That's probably a big reason why Armstrong left after a disappointing year, he didn't want to play another year in a scheme that's a very poor fit for him surrounded by very poor talent.

He has the potential to be a starter for us down the line but he should at least be able to contribute as a nickel/dime rusher pretty early on.
Kansas surprisingly has a very good coaching staff. There are times that those players absolutely bust their asses when they have no chance of winning. Their talent just sucks so bad that they have no chance.

p1_

DCC 4Life
who is Jonah Tuls?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
My favorite thing about Armstrong is that he said a lot of pro personnel people leading up to the draft kept asking him questions like, "what made you go to Kansas?"

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Jihad Ward, DT. Former 2nd round pick by the Raiders is who we got for Switzer.

6'6" 300 lbs. 23 years old.
At least they know the guy:

"The Cowboys’ coaching staff got a closer look at defensive tackle Jihad Ward at the Senior Bowl back in 2016 and thinks he can be a good fit in this scheme, either at 1-technique or the 3-technique.“We like his movement inside and we feel like he’s capable of doing both,” Jason Garrett said. “We did spend some time with him down in the Senior Bowl when he was coming out for the Draft. We feel like he fits in our scheme of being an up the field pressure guy. A guy who can disrupt the running game and affect the passer in the passing game at whichever spot. We feel he has the traits to do both.” (Nick Eatman)"

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think the offense is modeling it's WR corps after the Patriots. Not a primary guy, but different players who give you multiple looks. If the offense is working right, the ball will be spread around to who is open...not who is the #1 WR. Really looking forward to seeing some of these guys in space.

Cotton

Staff member
I think the offense is modeling it's WR corps after the Patriots. Not a primary guy, but different players who give you multiple looks. If the offense is working right, the ball will be spread around to who is open...not who is the #1 WR. Really looking forward to seeing some of these guys in space.
Agreed, and I like it. Dak is much better when he is spreading the ball around. Call it Dak friendly or whatever, but I like it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It also forces the dumbass coaches to be more creative instead of just relying on Dez to "line up over there and win his 1 on 1 matchup".

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:towel

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Mayfield is a Brown.. :lol

Cotton

Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really didn't want him in the first round. But as a second rounder I think he will be a really good guard for us. Frankly I think he could be a really solid NFL OT as well.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom