Jaylon Smith doing drills without brace

townsend

Banned
Good points. I had hoped Jaylon’s redshirt year would have helped prepare him more for reading plays, but I’m sure the sidelines and film room can only benefit you so much if you’ve never competed at that level.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think that having Sean Lee as a fellow LB can only help Smith with the NFL learning curve. i hope this year sees him make big strides. The Rams game last year, in particular, was brutal to watch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think that having Sean Lee as a fellow LB can only help Smith with the NFL learning curve. i hope this year sees him make big strides. The Rams game last year, in particular, was brutal to watch.
He was still a rookie and injured on top of it.

Jaylon could do a lot worse than learn from Sean Lee.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It probably helps that he isn't wearing the brace, I've worn knee braces off and on for over thirty years and they do limit you. His lateral movement looks more like his college days, even if it is practice without pads.

One positive is, he won't even be a RFA until 2020 so the team will have two seasons to see what they have.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It probably helps that he isn't wearing the brace, I've worn knee braces off and on for over thirty years and they do limit you. His lateral movement looks more like his college days, even if it is practice without pads.

One positive is, he won't even be a RFA until 2020 so the team will have two seasons to see what they have.
It wasn't a knee brace. It was an ankle AFO. Much worse on your movement.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That must be hard as hell to run with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't tell if you're kidding or not. It sounds like something Jerry or Stephen would say.
Half and half. In terms of potential I'm not a team has 2 LBers with more. But we all know that sometimes potential never translates to the NFL.

Oddly enough ESPN ranked our LBer unit as one of the best in the NFL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Smith can regain like 90% of his Notre Dame athleticism and improve his play recognition him and Vander Esch could definitely be one of the best LB combos in the league.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I look forward to him and Vander Esch being the best LBer combo in the NFL...
IMO, that's putting the cart before the horse. One had a solid "rookie" year last year and the other is a true rookie. Maybe in the future but I would set my sights lower this coming year unless you're talking about further down the road.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO, that's putting the cart before the horse. One had a solid "rookie" year last year and the other is a true rookie. Maybe in the future but I would set my sights lower this coming year unless you're talking about further down the road.
I'm talking about down the road when Sean Lee is probably retired.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Thought he looked pretty darn good starting/stopping/changing direction once he was done with that first drill with the cones. From the :28 second mark where he has the resistance bands on, he looked like he belongs. Vastly different than last year.
It would have been nice to see someone else doing the same drill right after him, just as a comparison. But he definitely looks better. Looks bulked up, too.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm talking about down the road when Sean Lee is probably retired.
I hope he's ready soon because I think Sean Lee is near the end of the road, he'll be 32 when this season starts. Very smart player but I question how much longer he can handle the job physically. I could see him as a LB coach when the time comes and would welcome that move. I think he would make an excellent coach, very smart, very knowledgeable.

Top Bottom