Jaylon Smith doing drills without brace

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith confirms he's no longer wearing AFO brace for drop foot
BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
May 11, 2018 01:30 PM

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith says that he is no longer wearing the AFO brace for drop foot.

He said he has not worn it since he began working out again in February.

A source said Smith is looking Notre Dame-fast again and primed for a big year after just being happy to get in the field in 2017. He missed all of 2016 recovering from injuries to his anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee and overcoming damage to the peroneal nerve in his final game at Notre Dame.

Smith, who was better in small doses last year, finished second in the team with 99 tackles in 2017 despite wearing a brace on his left foot and ankle due to drop foot.

Smith said he's the healthiest he's been since he joined the Cowboys as a second-round pick in 2016.

He expects a big year because he is finally able to run, loose and free without the brace.

"Getting that flexion back is going to help tremendously ... speed, quickness, explosiveness," Smith said. "I have been feeling great. Everything is about getting back to 100 percent. Every day I am improving."

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well it's progress, now let's see how confident he is in that leg without the brace. He does have the rest of the offseason to get comfortable though.

p1_

DCC 4Life
When you think how badly he was injured, its pretty amazing what he's done thus far. If he somehow recovers fully, it would be nothing short of miraculous.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Celebrate? Celebrate pure, unsubstantiated speculation about future performance based on projected recovery?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Here’s Why Jaylon Smith Plans To Be “Better Than Notre Dame 100 Percent”
Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:05 AM CDT

FRISCO, Texas – Before his career-threatening knee injury in the 2016 Rose Bowl, Jaylon Smith was almost surely a top-five draft pick.
Two and a half years later, healthy with a full NFL season on his résumé, the 22-year-old linebacker expects to surpass college-age Jaylon Smith in 2018.

“I’m going to be better than ‘Notre Dame 100 percent,’” he said at the Cowboys’ seventh annual Reliant Home Run Derby.

Here’s proof that Smith feels healthier and healthier: He says he has trained this offseason without the foot brace he used last year to counter the movement restrictions caused by the nerve damage he sustained with the old knee injury.

“There’s a great chance that I won’t have to play with it this year,” he said.

“People thought I’d never play the game again, and I’ve been able to accomplish that. Each and every day I’ve gotten better. Last year each game I improved. It just feels great to continue to be able to improve my health.”

After sitting out his rookie season, the 2016 second-round pick played in all 16 games last year and finished second on defense with 99 tackles, according to coaching film.

The Cowboys thought Smith was more effective with fewer snaps as he worked his way back into football, but injuries to Sean Lee and free-agent departure Anthony Hitchens forced him to play at least 50 snaps in four games.

It remains to be seen how the Cowboys plan to rotate Smith and first-round pick Leighton Vander Esch. Both can fill Hitchens’ old middle linebacker spot, with Lee continuing to handle the weak side.

Days before the Cowboys drafted Vander Esch, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team needed linebacker depth – veteran Kyle Wilber also departed in free agency – but feels confident Smith will take a “big step” next season.

A big reason is Smith’s approach. He was diligent in his day-to-day rehab with Britt Brown (associate athletic trainer/director of rehabilitation), Jim Maurer (head athletic trainer) and the Cowboys’ medical and strength staff.

And he’s tried to learn as much as possible from Lee and the veterans.

“My overall knowledge of the game has improved each and every day,” he said. “And my physicalness is going to continue to improve as well when you talk about getting back to 100 percent.”

Huh, I thought he was done with the brace completely. A bit of cold water that there is a chance he might have to go back to it. I was hoping that it's just a matter of the leg being a bit atrophied in terms of dorsiflexion after a few years and he was having to strengthen those muscles. Sounds like the nerve may still have a bit more to heal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huh, I thought he was done with the brace completely. A bit of cold water that there is a chance he might have to go back to it. I was hoping that it's just a matter of the leg being a bit atrophied in terms of dorsiflexion after a few years and he was having to strengthen those muscles. Sounds like the nerve may still have a bit more to heal.
I'd say your original assessment is correct if he is going everything right now without it. My guess is the brace at this point would be more to protect the ankle than it would be to actually lift his foot for him. Otherwise he wouldn't be running and cutting and working out with no brace.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jaylon Smith might not use a brace this year.

The Earth might be hit by a rogue comet.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I look forward to him and Vander Esch being the best LBer combo in the NFL...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Well he looks pretty good. I thought he looked a little herky-jerky until I realized he was placing eggs on a cone for some damn reason. Then it looked pretty good. I'm no physical therapist though.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Thought he looked pretty darn good starting/stopping/changing direction once he was done with that first drill with the cones. From the :28 second mark where he has the resistance bands on, he looked like he belongs. Vastly different than last year.

townsend

Banned
Thought he looked pretty darn good starting/stopping/changing direction once he was done with that first drill with the cones. From the :28 second mark where he has the resistance bands on, he looked like he belongs. Vastly different than last year.
It’ll be interesting to see if his instincts improve in 2018. More than physical limitations it seemed like his worst moments where he took a bad angle, or misread where the ball was going and ended washed out of the play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’ll be interesting to see if his instincts improve in 2018. More than physical limitations it seemed like his worst moments where he took a bad angle, or misread where the ball was going and ended washed out of the play.
I agree and it's sort of something you'd expect from a rookie LBer. I also think elite athletic ability can help to make up for those mistakes. The better he gets physically and the more he trusts that leg the less you'll notice mistakes or missteps.

He will obviously be better this year. It's just a question of how much better.

Top Bottom