Jaylon Smith doing drills without brace

p1_

DCC 4Life
I dont think they will force it. Hope Im right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
LB is a much bigger need than WR, but it seems like Dallas is about to force the 1st pick to fill the "void" Dez left.
I don't know, I mean they are probably the 2 biggest needs on the team. But we also really shouldn't draft based purely on need.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't know, I mean they are probably the 2 biggest needs on the team. But we also really shouldn't draft based purely on need.
We really shouldn't draft based totally on need, so I'd push WR even further down the list.

I have more faith in Dak and the current receivers than Lee, Smith, and who ever else is gonna be on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We really shouldn't draft based totally on need, so I'd push WR even further down the list.

I have more faith in Dak and the current receivers than Lee, Smith, and who ever else is gonna be on the field.
Well Damien Wilson was our fourth LBer last year. He wasn't anything special but he wasn't awful either. So right now he'd be our third guy I'm sure. Then Joe Thomas as our fourth LBer?

Outside of Damien Wilson, Smith and Lee I'm not sure any of these LBers deserve to even make the roster.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Well Damien Wilson was our fourth LBer last year. He wasn't anything special but he wasn't awful either. So right now he'd be our third guy I'm sure. Then Joe Thomas as our fourth LBer?

Outside of Damien Wilson, Smith and Lee I'm not sure any of these LBers deserve to even make the roster.
And they've at least taken a stab at WR in FA...please don't take one in the 1st.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The problem is injuries.

We are severely deficient at the top end at WR. But if there's an injury we do have depth and could probably absorb an injury to any WR.

At LB it's the opposite. Lee is elite but that's it. Smith has a long way to go before he's even above mediocre, and there's essentially zero depth behind those two. If we have a linebacker injury we're majorly fucked.

We probably need two LBs in this draft, and definitely at least one. We could get by without drafting a WR.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He was a smart player at ND, always had a nose for the ball. I'm sure he went through some moments where he hesitated because he wasn't 100% confident physically yet last year. I could understand that, he went through a helluva long medical and rehab process.

Wouldn't stop me from drafting a LB somewhere in the first four rounds though. The depth there isn't good and as it was mentioned, Lee probably only has a couple of seasons left in the tank *if* he can stay healthy.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
The problem is injuries.

We are severely deficient at the top end at WR. But if there's an injury we do have depth and could probably absorb an injury to any WR.

At LB it's the opposite. Lee is elite but that's it. Smith has a long way to go before he's even above mediocre, and there's essentially zero depth behind those two. If we have a linebacker injury we're majorly fucked.

We probably need two LBs in this draft, and definitely at least one. We could get by without drafting a WR.
The lb corp definitely needs some resources thrown at it, similar to what we did in the secondary last year. I would look for one early and take another one that's fallen in 5 or 6.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is injuries.

Yeah I mean I think when Sean Lee is healthy we are ok at LBer but I also remember what a mess it was last year when he got hurt. Jaylon was not ready for that full time role and we had no one really good enough to pair with him to make a decent combination. We really need to have someone high end to fill that role when Lee gets hurt because we all know that Lee is going to get hurt.

It's why LVE in the first makes the most sense. And again, physically he reminds me a lot of Urlacher. And I know making that comparison is a bit unfair because Urlcaher had such an amazing career and had a better overall college career but I think you see some of the same traits between the two. Draft LVE and let him and Jaylon be a dynamic duo for years to come (Assuming Jaylon develops as I think he will and if not we may need another LBer in a year or two to fill that higher end role).

And I agree with you on WR. I think we can survive next year with the depth we have. But we have no young guys with any talent. We're basically surviving on veterans on short contracts at this point. So we really just need an infusion of young talent for the long term health of the position. And obviously if we can get someone who is ready to upgrade the position next year that would be great.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, we dont have to take one at 19, but we had damn well better draft one Day 2 at a minimum.
Yeah I agree. I feel the same about LBer and WR in this fashion. We don't have to take a first rounder but we damn well need one at each position in the first 3 rounds.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I know a lot like to promote the idea of BPA but the reality is that most teams draft based on need. Especially in the first three rounds.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know a lot like to promote the idea of BPA but the reality is that most teams draft based on need. Especially in the first three rounds.
Well you can't just go forever not drafting certain positions. Frankly the fact that we have drafted so few QBs and WRs has been nothing short of a miracle that we have still found guys. It's a great time for us to draft a WR or two in my opinion. There is no sense in drafting a guy who will sit on the bench for years in the first simply because of BPA.

Genghis Khan

Well, we dont have to take one at 19, but we had damn well better draft one Day 2 at a minimum.
I completely disagree.

Our wide receivers are mediocre as hell now but we have plenty of them.

It would be nice to find another quality WR but we can get by with what we have.

We CAN'T get by with what we have at linebacker though.

Genghis Khan

Of course teams draft based on need. Doesn't make it right.

Teams make mistakes all the time.

Smart teams put themselves in position to draft BPA. When you start targeting needs and certain positions you are much more vulnerable to taking reaches and players that are incapable of living up to their draft status.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well you can't just go forever not drafting certain positions. Frankly the fact that we have drafted so few QBs and WRs has been nothing short of a miracle that we have still found guys. It's a great time for us to draft a WR or two in my opinion. There is no sense in drafting a guy who will sit on the bench for years in the first simply because of BPA.
Agree. You pay high and play low in those instances and the likelihood is that this player will be traded at some point for someone you need. Hopefully then you can make a little profit on the player in this situation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The strength at WR in this draft is depth in the 2nd-3rd rounds. They’ll go fast.

Don’t want to grab the wrong one for sure. Rather wait a year than force and miss.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The strength at WR in this draft is depth in the 2nd-3rd rounds. They’ll go fast. Don’t want to grab the wrong one for sure. Rather wait a year than force and miss.
I know we'll be in a position to get a good one.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The strength at WR in this draft is depth in the 2nd-3rd rounds. They’ll go fast.

Don’t want to grab the wrong one for sure. Rather wait a year than force and miss.
I think the depth is going to cause talented guys to fall. Only so many teams will draft a WR, especially in the first few rounds. Which means once those teams have gotten their guys other talented ones will fall. Every mock draft I've seen or heard had really good WR's slipping through the cracks because teams will fill needs in those early rounds. And then on top of that you'll have some teams who will hold back on drafting one because they think they can get one later. I think we can wait on it a little bit, but if I see a run going I also wouldn't hesitate to move up and get the guy we need. Reminds me a lot of the depth we saw at corner last year where we were able to snag Chidobe and Lewis much lower than I thought they would go. We also saw other corners falling in the draft who we thought would go much higher.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Last edited:
Top Bottom