Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Richard Sherman: Earl Thomas deserves top safety pay

By Austin Knoblauch
Digital Content Editor
Published: May 19, 2018 at 03:26 p.m.
Updated: May 19, 2018 at 03:58 p.m.

Count Richard Sherman among those who aren't sure what the future holds for Earl Thomas and the Seattle Seahawks.

Thomas' current contract with the Seahawks expires after the 2018 season, and Sherman believes his former Legion of Boom co-conspirator should get paid.

"I think Earl Thomas deserves the money he's asking for," Sherman told NFL Network's Michael Robinson during Robinson's youth football camp in Richmond, Virginia, on Saturday. "I think he deserves to be compensated as the top safety in the league. Whether Seattle does that or not is up to them."

There's no doubt Thomas has been a huge part of what the Seahawks have accomplished under coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider in Seattle. But the Seahawks' numerous roster and coaching staff moves this offseason show they aren't afraid to part ways with the on-field architects of their past glories.

Looking past Thomas' somewhat strange Christmas Eve locker room visit with Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, there has been plenty of speculation about the six-time Pro Bowler's future in Seattle. Although the Seahawks want to sign the 29-year-old to a contract extension, the numbers might not be palpable to the team's long-term plans.

Sherman believes it's hard to understate how critical Thomas is to the Seahawks' defense.

"Obviously, that man plays at a high level and the defense doesn't really work without his contribution," Sherman said. "I think after a while you show a certain level of respect to your players who've put in the time. And he's been a great example of dedication and perseverance, and just incredible excellence. So obviously he deserves to get paid, but whether they pay him or not is up to them."

Whether the Seahawks feel the same way remains to be seen.

Who gives a flying fyyuucke what Richard Sherman thinks? Go blow your nose is your balaclava. What is up with these current and former players?

Who gives a shit what Deion Sanders thinks about Earl Thomas? Or T.O on any topic? Or what Michael Irvin or Drew Pearson think about anything? Go home, shut up. Nobody cares.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The new who cares safety market.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Can't have a steak on every plate.

We're set up pretty well at DE and CB, some potential at LB to have a good year. Surely Heath and Woods can hold down the safety spots for a year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

We're set up pretty well at DE and CB, some potential at LB to have a good year. Surely Heath and Woods can hold down the safety spots for a year.
I am counting on Woods taking a step this year. If he can, we will be fine at the position.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Frazier is a good box safety too, I think we're pretty well covered as far as box safeties/guys who can come down and cover the slot and within 10 or so yards, my only concern is whether or not we have a guy who we can truly count on as that single-high Cover-3 safety who needs to have the range and ability to diagnose to cover a lot of ground.

I think Woods could potentially be that guy but of course we don't know for sure.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Surprisingly enough Jeff Heath has steadily improved. His hustle on the last defensive play basically won the Oakland game after Lewis tried his best to lose it.

He might have grown to Church's level, which is fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surprisingly enough Jeff Heath has steadily improved. His hustle on the last defensive play basically won the Oakland game after Lewis tried his best to lose it.

That PI was bullshit

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I have always liked Heath. He is a scrapper type. He may not have an abundance of finess but he is a sure tackler and never quits on a play. He isn’t strong as coverage back because of his read abilities but that is improving. The bottom line is he is physical and a good tackler.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That PI was bullshit
Eh, his back is turned at the absolute wrong time. You’ve got to be aware in that situation and not give a home team on national TV a chance for a dumb penalty. A good experience for Lewis on situational awareness.

And it doesn’t diminish Heath’s balls out play that preserved the win.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Todd Archer did a chat with a Seahawks writer and he (the Seattle guy) said that maybe the Cowboys could throw in a sweetner like Kony Ealy.

Uh, they can have Ealy and Charles Tapper right now, straight up, for Earl Thomas. The Seahawks are projected to start Frank Clark and Dion Jordan and end, so, they could use the help, and we have too many DEs as it is.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Todd Archer did a chat with a Seahawks writer and he (the Seattle guy) said that maybe the Cowboys could throw in a sweetner like Kony Ealy.

Uh, they can have Ealy and Charles Tapper right now, straight up, for Earl Thomas. The Seahawks are projected to start Frank Clark and Dion Jordan and end, so, they could use the help, and we have too many DEs as it is.
I'm sure it was meant in the context of "throwing them in" along with a 2019 3rd.

There's a 0.0% chance they're trading Thomas for two borderline 53 types in Ealy and Tapper.

They aren't deep but Clark is excellent so it's not like they're completely bare at DE, certainly not bare enough to trade Thomas for two guys who are more or less scrubs.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

I feel like the only people still discussing this are the sportswriters.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It seems to be all but dead.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Rapoport says the Seahawks want a 2nd and change for Thomas, we're only offering a 3rd. If he doesn't get moved this week I don't think any team would give up premium picks for a guy midseason, so Seattle would either have to keep him or send him to Dallas, who I presume would be fine adding him at any point given his history with Richard in the scheme.

I think the Seahawks are cutting off their nose to spite their face not taking the 3rd though, if they have decided that they won't extend him there's no point to keeping him for basically half a season where he's going to be a malcontent. Just take your 3rd in 2019 instead of the comp in 2020 and be done with it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rapoport says the Seahawks want a 2nd and change for Thomas, we're only offering a 3rd. If he doesn't get moved this week I don't think any team would give up premium picks for a guy midseason, so Seattle would either have to keep him or send him to Dallas, who I presume would be fine adding him at any point given his history with Richard in the scheme.

I think the Seahawks are cutting off their nose to spite their face not taking the 3rd though, if they have decided that they won't extend him there's no point to keeping him for basically half a season where he's going to be a malcontent. Just take your 3rd in 2019 instead of the comp in 2020 and be done with it.
I wouldn't give up a third either. But I would love to see him in Dallas.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's how I feel. At this point though I won't bitch (much) if we give up a third. I wouldn't do it but it wouldn't cripple us either.

But if we cave and give up a second (or more) I'll be very unhappy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with a 3rd. If we're including this year I think he still has about 3-4 years left of elite level play, and he might be able to squeeze out a 5th at 33.

At any rate, I think it's a calculated gamble that I'd be willing to take. If Lee and Gregory can stay on the field I think the defense could be Super Bowl-caliber elite if you add a guy like Thomas on the back end. Lee and Thomas are two of the most instinctive, cerebral players in the league, put them together along with Lawrence/Gregory/Charlton off the edge and Jones/Awuzie on the outside, not to mention the rest of the depth at LB, and I think that's a defense that could theoretically (ignoring our shitbox coaching for a second) carry a team deep into the playoffs.

It could also fail spectacularly and we could easily end up regretting giving up that pick but it's a gamble I'd take.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I'm losing interest in this trade the more and more I see Dallas offense's struggle or lose players.

Seattle's best bet was to strike while we were feeling optimistic.

Top Bottom