Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why are we still talking about him again?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Much less than what Earl Thomas is.

Austin is nothing special.
If he is used correctly, he offers a ton of speed that this offense has lacked for years.

But theres the issue..can Linehan get him involved in the offense?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
If he is used correctly, he offers a ton of speed that this offense has lacked for years.

Well I suspect they will bring back the jet sweep. That was pretty effective with Whitehead and Austin is light years more athletic. I hope they use him on screens and flares. LBers can cover him and neither can most safeties.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I'm not real big on Austin. He is a gadget guy. If he was a decent WR the Rams would have loved to use him there. I'm just not real big on gadget players I guess. Thankfully the cost for Austin wasn't much. So it's not like we couldn't dump him if we wanted. Teams cut sixth round picks all of the time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Why are we still talking about him again?
Because it's a message board, it's the offseason, and it's a probowl caliber player this team has been rumored to have interest in?

:shrug

We could just sit around and think up snappy nicknames for people in the FO, I guess. That's always fun.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Yeah I'm not real big on Austin. He is a gadget guy. If he was a decent WR the Rams would have loved to use him there. I'm just not real big on gadget players I guess. Thankfully the cost for Austin wasn't much. So it's not like we couldn't dump him if we wanted. Teams cut sixth round picks all of the time.
I'm not sure thats his fault. Before McVay, the Rams used him as a gadget guy, and when they did use him at WR they didn't have anyone to get him the ball. He was injured and not 100% when McVay came in.

This is my WVU homerism comin out, but a guy like Austin who put up huge numbers at WVU in the slot shouldn't get to the NFL and then all of a sudden not able to play the position if hes got a decent OC running the show.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not sure thats his fault. Before McVay, the Rams used him as a gadget guy, and when they did use him at WR they didn't have anyone to get him the ball. He was injured and not 100% when McVay came in.

This is my WVU homerism comin out, but a guy like Austin who put up huge numbers at WVU in the slot shouldn't get to the NFL and then suddenly can't play the position.
Even if he never catches more than 25 or so passes for us, I still love the SPEED he brings to the team and the threat of a big play. Team will have to respect it. For far too long we've been a plodding offense with nobody that scared teams past 15-20 yards down the field. It's a lot easier to defend somebody if you don't have to worry about getting your doors blown off over the top.

With Austin and Thompson, we now have speed on the field that teams will be forced to account for.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Even if he never catches more than 25 or so passes for us, I still love the SPEED he brings to the team and the threat of a big play. Team will have to respect it. For far too long we've been a plodding offense with nobody that scared teams past 15-20 yards down the field. It's a lot easier to defend somebody if you don't have to worry about getting your doors blown off over the top.

With Austin and Thompson, we now have speed on the field that teams will be forced to account for.
Exactly. My hope is the Cowboys put him in the slot depending on down and distance and the guy pops a few big ones down the field. Teams have to respect his speed, and if Linehan lets him run routes similar to what he ran at WVU (dipshit Rams had him running comeback and out routes) then he is a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field.

Plus, he will be the fastest punt return guy I think they have fielded in the last 15-20 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. My hope is the Cowboys put him in the slot depending on down and distance and the guy pops a few big ones down the field. Teams have to respect his speed, and if Linehan lets him run routes similar to what he ran at WVU (dipshit Rams had him running comeback and out routes) then he is a legitimate threat every time he steps on the field.

Plus, he will be the fastest punt return guy I think they have fielded in the last 15-20 years.
Yeah I mean it's worth a shot. He has legit 4.3 speed on the field. Not much invested so if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world. Would be interesting to see him in a Cole Beasley type role. Use him as the slot receiver but with the speed to also take the top off the defense. Sort of prevents teams from just bracketing him and doing what they do against Cole Beasley.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Yeah I'd offer them a fourth. We are in no hurry now. No reason to give them a better offer.
Yup... Thomas (even on just a one year stint) is more valuable than a 2018 4th round pick. No higher than that tho.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Report: Seahawks wanted Cowboys’ second-rounder for Earl Thomas
Charean Williams,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 44 minutes ago
Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

Weren’t the Seahawks supposed to be asking for at least first- and third-round picks for Earl Thomas? Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports the Seahawks asked for the Cowboys’ second-round choice for Thomas on Friday.

Dallas balked, using the pick to select offensive lineman Connor Williams.

Rapoport adds that the Cowboys might have had Thomas for a third-round pick “and a lot more,” but Dallas declined that too. The Cowboys reportedly still have interest in the free safety after not coming out of the draft with one. Xavier Woods is penciled in as the starter at free safety with last year’s starter, Byron Jones, moving to cornerback.

Seahawks General Manager John Schneider admitted Saturday he talked to several teams Friday about a trade for Thomas but said nothing was close to happening.

Thomas threatened a holdout earlier this offseason in the absence of a new contract and opted to skip the start of the team’s offseason workouts. But Schneider recently said Thomas’ agent has promised Thomas won’t holdout.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Maybe, maybe not, but if he can’t, he’ll be the third OC who couldn’t.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Richard Sherman: Earl Thomas deserves top safety pay

By Austin Knoblauch
Digital Content Editor
Published: May 19, 2018 at 03:26 p.m.
Updated: May 19, 2018 at 03:58 p.m.

Count Richard Sherman among those who aren't sure what the future holds for Earl Thomas and the Seattle Seahawks.

Thomas' current contract with the Seahawks expires after the 2018 season, and Sherman believes his former Legion of Boom co-conspirator should get paid.

"I think Earl Thomas deserves the money he's asking for," Sherman told NFL Network's Michael Robinson during Robinson's youth football camp in Richmond, Virginia, on Saturday. "I think he deserves to be compensated as the top safety in the league. Whether Seattle does that or not is up to them."

There's no doubt Thomas has been a huge part of what the Seahawks have accomplished under coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider in Seattle. But the Seahawks' numerous roster and coaching staff moves this offseason show they aren't afraid to part ways with the on-field architects of their past glories.

Looking past Thomas' somewhat strange Christmas Eve locker room visit with Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, there has been plenty of speculation about the six-time Pro Bowler's future in Seattle. Although the Seahawks want to sign the 29-year-old to a contract extension, the numbers might not be palpable to the team's long-term plans.

Sherman believes it's hard to understate how critical Thomas is to the Seahawks' defense.

"Obviously, that man plays at a high level and the defense doesn't really work without his contribution," Sherman said. "I think after a while you show a certain level of respect to your players who've put in the time. And he's been a great example of dedication and perseverance, and just incredible excellence. So obviously he deserves to get paid, but whether they pay him or not is up to them."

Whether the Seahawks feel the same way remains to be seen.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So what Sherman is saying is " we don't know how good he'll be in the future, but you should pay him for what he did in the past!" I don't think they understand business.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas won't pay him what he wants either.

Top Bottom