Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't take Fisher too seriously. He pushes clickbait to try to gain subscribers.
I agree, that guy makes so much shit up just hoping something sticks it's crazy. He is the least reliable Cowboys reporter that I can think of off the top of my head.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Every day that goes by where we didn't trade for this guy is a good day.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Why doesn't the team seem to have any faith in Woods playing that spot?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I thought he was drafted to play free safety eventually...
It was just his rookie year. I'm sure they put him there out of necessity. I don't think they wanted to play him as a rookie nickle corner. But he was the best we had. And frankly was really good at it. But ultimately we have plenty of corners for next year with a healthy Chido and Lewis hopefully. Which means he should be able to move back to more of a full time safety role. I don't know that it's a matter of trust. The guy played some deep safety last year too. I think it was mostly about need and getting the best DBs on the field that we could.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Woods is fine but we still need another starter unless we want Heath starting again.
I think, if we go Woods at FS, Frazier will win the starting role at SS this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heath was making plays after about halfway through the season. He won the Raiders game for us.
I'd use him as a nickle safety when we put 3 safeties on the field. I think he does best in a part time role.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I love Earl Thomas but I have no doubt we'd get butt raped instead of making a savy value move.
Of course we would. Jerry is the only man in the league who was openly negotiating against himself and got fleeced on multiple trades.

Last edited:

vince

Not So New Member
I agree, that guy makes so much shit up just hoping something sticks it's crazy. He is the least reliable Cowboys reporter that I can think of off the top of my head.
I don't follow Fisher more than I do anyone else but he does seem to have ins with Cowboys management and players (see Bryant).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't follow Fisher more than I do anyone else but he does seem to have ins with Cowboys management and players (see Bryant).
Yeah all I know is what I see get posted on here. But he always stands out as the guy who predicts both sides of the coin and is wrong more than he is right.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
ESPN NFL analyst and ESPN Seattle radio host John Clayton joined Dennis & Cowlishaw on KESN-FM 103.3 ESPN recently to talk about Earl Thomas and the Cowboys. Here are some highlights.

On Seahawks GM John Schneider saying Earl Thomas won't hold out:

"If you look at the big picture it's like is he on the market? Yes. Is he a great player? Yes. Can they get value that would satisfy Seattle? Questionable. This was his function. His son has Autism and so this is a big charity that [Schneider] has every year and he speaks to the media. That caught everyone by surprise because the last time he was available was back at the owners meetings, and no talks were going with Earl. There were still the thought that Earl was going to holdout. So it was news when he came out and said that according to representative of Earl Thomas that he wasn't going to holdout into the season. That doesn't preclude the possibility of a training camp holdout, but also what that does do is it sends messages to a team like Dallas that he's going to be there for the season and it won't be a contract issue. But I'm sure Dallas knows that anyway, because if Thomas can make it back into the state of Texas he's going to give any benefit to Dallas."

On if Seattle will demand a first round pick for Thomas:

"I think they can be talked into something less. I went through all the rosters, and it was really kind of weird because 27 teams were in pretty good shape at the free safety position. That included Dallas which was pretty good with Byron Jones, but now they're moving him to cornerback so that opened up one spot he could go to. One spot is Arizona but they're not going to trade him within the division. So really it's Dallas probably or nothing as far as a trade. So knowing that Dallas would probably prefer to get a wide receiver in the first round now that Dez Bryant is gone, they draft one spot behind Seattle, I think it's more likely it would be a No. 2, but then what's added to the No. 2 would probably be the determination if they would be satisfied or not."

On what a potential draft day trade for Earl Thomas would like without the No. 19 pick:

"I'd say a 2, 4 and then maybe something next year. That might be too much, but something in the neighborhood of a 2 and a 4 and something else on a swap."

On if Pete Carroll's comments about Thomas mean anything:

"Not really. Pete's always gonna be the positive one talking about trying to keep everything together, trying to keep the team together. He doesn't get involved in any of the financial aspects of it. Naturally, you're the coach and he's such an important guy for the defense, maybe the most important guy for the defense. So he's counting on him being there, but he doesn't know exactly what Earl will do until Earl does it. We saw that after the game against Dallas.

"One other thing to add to the mix to show you where the mystery continues. That have all the big posters on the side of Century Link Field with all the top players on the team. They put eight up and guess whose picture wasn't on it? Earl Thomas. They have seven up the other day when the Mariners game was going on, and there was the eighth. According to sources the eighth was going to Shaquille Griffin, but Earl was right now removed from Century Link."

On the NFL draft:

"It's one of the more interesting drafts because you got four quarterbacks up top and you figure they'll still somehow go in the top seven or eight, and that's going to make it fascinating. Then of course we've already had like 25 trades compared to eight to 10 from a year ago. I think it's just going to be a real wild draft and a lot fun. The big thing right now is can the Colts trade down their entire draft and pick up as many picks as they can? They're going to be a moving team much like we saw Cleveland the last couple of years."

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I’d sooner drop dead than pay that much.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah fuck no. I like our team but throwing out a second on a dead coach walking year seems crazy to me. Thomas isn't a young stud that you're going to have for 5-6 years. It's the move you make if your teams on the verge. I think we are one more year from being at that point. Like next off season when we have money to blow and can make a real jump if we want to.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Exactly. This team seemed destined for at best 8-8 this year and hopefully that gets Garrett fired. Don't give up a piece the future coach may find useful.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Yeah fuck no. I like our team but throwing out a second on a dead coach walking year seems crazy to me. Thomas isn't a young stud that you're going to have for 5-6 years. It's the move you make if your teams on the verge. I think we are one more year from being at that point. Like next off season when we have money to blow and can make a real jump if we want to.
Check your pms

Top Bottom