Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'd give up one of Dallas' fourth round picks and that's it. Anything more is too much for a guy that has taken a lot of pounding after eight years in the league, even if he's still under thirty. I could see it if he was the final piece in the puzzle for a SB run but I doubt that's imminent.

That's assuming he fits well in Marinelli's D and develops good chemistry with the rest of the defensive backfield.

No thanks.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
A third us just too much IMO. And we can pretty much be sure they're gonna want at least a fourth as well. Then you take on his salary.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ed Reed played 11 years at an All Pro/Pro Bowl level, Eric Weddle has played 11 years at a very high level and is still going.

Barring injuries, if we were to get Thomas for 2018, I'd expect at least 3 years of Pro Bowl caliber play (2018-2020) and potentially 4 or even 5.
And maybe he does. But the average NFL career is like 6 years. So when I see a guy going into year 9, I think it's normal to wondering how many years are really left. And honestly I think years in the league has more to do with a players likelihood of retirement than actual age.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
And maybe he does. But the average NFL career is like 6 years. So when I see a guy going into year 9, I think it's normal to wondering how many years are really left. And honestly I think years in the league has more to do with a players likelihood of retirement than actual age.
3.3 years

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not about going for Thomas...and please do not move up for Derwin James.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can see the argument for not giving up picks for Thomas if you don't expect him to last much longer.

But if you can get Derwin James for a 3rd.... I mean, what, you don't like impact players?

Maybe people just don't think very highly of him. But if he was a legit stud safety on par with Jalen Ramsey in talent, but at safety.... I mean, why the hell wouldn't you give up a third for that? Wow, so we can, at best, get another Maliek Collins? Hurray.

If you add a guy who can play all over the field and cover both deep and in the slot, and is a force against the run, like a Darren Woodson, man, this defense takes off. Add a linebacker in the second and a nose tackle in the fourth. Top 10 defense for sure. Maybe top 5.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I can see the argument for not giving up picks for Thomas if you don't expect him to last much longer.

But if you can get Derwin James for a 3rd.... I mean, what, you don't like impact players?

Maybe people just don't think very highly of him. But if he was a legit stud safety on par with Jalen Ramsey in talent, but at safety.... I mean, why the hell wouldn't you give up a third for that? Wow, so we can, at best, get another Maliek Collins? Hurray.

If you add a guy who can play all over the field and cover both deep and in the slot, and is a force against the run, like a Darren Woodson, man, this defense takes off. Add a linebacker in the second and a nose tackle in the fourth. Top 10 defense for sure. Maybe top 5.
I think James is massively overrated. He is a big hitter, no doubt, but that part of the game is being minimized. For years we have had a hole at FS...if we draft James then we still need one because he is solely a SS.

James cannot cover all over the field either...that is false.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the best we could possibly do in the third is Maliek Collins? :lol Hyperbole much?

Oh and by the way you're assuming Derwin James last until 15. Which he won't. And if you're moving up higher than 15 it's costing you more than a third.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If he was a 4 or 5 year veteran I'd be with you. But the guy is going into year 9 of his career. How many seasons do you think the guy is going to play? I mean when you draft a guy your dream is for him to play for you for 10 years. Earl Thomas is right at the door step of 10 years. That's my worry. If he was a 25 year old at the end of his rookie deal it would be a different discussion.
Exactly.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Ed Reed played 11 years at an All Pro/Pro Bowl level, Eric Weddle has played 11 years at a very high level and is still going.

Barring injuries, if we were to get Thomas for 2018, I'd expect at least 3 years of Pro Bowl caliber play (2018-2020) and potentially 4 or even 5.
The problem is we're absorbing a fair amount of risk due his age, mileage and contract situation. That should diminish the expected compensation.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So the best we could possibly do in the third is Maliek Collins? :lol Hyperbole much?

Oh and by the way you're assuming Derwin James last until 15. Which he won't. And if you're moving up higher than 15 it's costing you more than a third.
No, I didn’t say it’s the best we can possibly do. But given our recent track history, that’s what you should count on even if the pick is a hit.

It’s more likely James falls to 19 himself that we get an All Pro at 81.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I didn’t say it’s the best we can possibly do. But given our recent track history, that’s what you should count on even if the pick is a hit.

It’s more likely James falls to 19 himself that we get an All Pro at 81.
What do the words "at best" mean to you? :unsure

That by definition means you can't get better. Are you seriously trying to make that argument?

I don't see Derwin James making it to 15 anyway. Which is the only way you can use a first and third to get him. Any higher and you're talking first and second round picks.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys out on Earl Thomas unless Seahawks lower price
The Dallas Cowboys will only re-consider an Earl Thomas trade if the Seattle Seahawks lower their asking price, per Ed Werder.
Derek Lewis - 7 hours ago 0

Subtext has officially become context in the Seattle Seahawks and Dallas Cowboys' Earl Thomas discussions or lack thereof lately. While the teams seem to be at an impasse, as reported by Dallas Cowboys on 247Sports' Mike Fisher, the subtle markers of that stalling out were the Seahawks aren't budging on their asking price for Thomas and the Cowboys aren't willing to pay the piper to acquire the Pro Bowler.

But, gone are the days of reading into the reporting on this potential deal; the Cowboys have taken a more direct approach in this latest tidbit. According to NFL Insider Ed Werder, the Cowboys aren't making acquiring Thomas a draft day priority and will only return to the negotiation table if the Seahawks lower their asking price. Presumably, the price remains at a first and third-round pick to pry Thomas away from the Emerald City and clearly the 'Boys believe that price is too steep.

If a team were to budge, it'll likely be the Seahawks because they have a bit more to lose than the Cowboys in this situation. While Seattle wants to maximize the value they get back for the best defender on their team, they certainly don't want to lose him for nothing in 2019. He enters the last year of his deal this season. Because they may be unwilling to sign Thomas to an extension getting nothing as he walks away becomes a very real possibility. And the realities of why they won't sign him long-term -- age, recent injury -- are the same holdups that lessen his trade value to other teams. There's also the simple fact that Thomas means more in the Seahawks system than any other system.

All these considerations make it hard to get a trade done as Seattle Seahawks on 247Sports has detailed multiple times.

But in the end, it's the Seahawks who miss out on draft capital and getting a return on their investment if they don't budge on moving Thomas. They're the team that have no picks in the second or third round of this year's draft. They're the team trying to get younger and keep their cap situation tidy by not overpaying aging veterans. They're the team who risks losing Earl Thomas for nothing.

If they do keep him, all those fears can be alleviated by signing him to a new deal but if they won't pay him, losing him for nothing as they ended up doing with cornerback Richard Sherman, this offseason, would be another misfire. For the record, paying the best player on your defense who should age well doesn't count as overpaying veterans. But, Kam Chancellor's recent career-threatening injury just months after signing a three-year extension has to give them pause. Thomas plays just as hard as Chancellor and injuries are just unpredictable.

The Seahawks can't let "what ifs" scare them to the point of inaction and likely won't. They've always been proactive in these situations and have plan upon contingency plan depending on how the chips fall. No reason to believe, they don't have multiple strategies mapped out here. But, even a second or third-round selection has to be enticing if Seattle has already decided they won't invest long-term in Thomas. If he walks in free agency in 2019, they may get -- emphasis on may get -- a third-round compensatory pick. If they could get a day two draft pick plus a day three selection, they're getting a bigger and more certain bang for their buck than simply letting him sign elsewhere next offseason.

If the Seahawks plan is to move Thomas, they'll likely have to budge on their price. If they don't mind keeping him, the Cowboys had better be sure Thomas isn't a priority for them. It's really that simple and neither team has to budge off their current position in the end.

Author
Derek Lewis @drlewisbookit

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Let them die on that hill then. No way now I give them more than a 4th. And the longer they delay the more that goes down.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A 1st and 3rd is laughable. I can't believe they are still stuck on that offer.

Top Bottom