Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Seahawks are going to absolutely regret not taking that 2nd round pick a few months from now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I would withdraw the offer at this point. They had their chance.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Do they think he’s Mack or something?

vince

Not So New Member
I have not heard from anywhere that we offered a 2nd. I heard it was a 3rd.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He's still a first-round talent if it's in a vacuum.

But it's not in a vacuum.

1. Age: he's pushing 30 and therefore there's elevated risk of injury and decline in play. That could come this year or 5 years from now. But it's coming.

2. Market: teams aren't valuing safeties right now. That diminishes his worth by proxy.

3. Contract: we'll need to extend him and he'll command a lot of money and years, more than we'd have to pay a safety that we'd hypothetically draft.

4. Trade market: there don't seem to be reports of any other teams making offers for him, which means we're bidding against ourselves.

5. Free agency: he's a free agent next year and has already expressed his desire to play in Dallas, so one very viable alternative is to wait a year and sign him.

All this means that he's not in context worth a 1st or a 2nd, or honestly even a 3rd.

We're competing against a comp pick really. Odds are he'd net Seattle a 3rd in 2020 if he signs elsewhere in free agency. Which is generally worth a 4th in 2019.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

1. Age: he's pushing 30 and therefore there's elevated risk of injury and decline in play. That could come this year or 5 years from now. But it's coming.

2. Market: teams aren't valuing safeties right now. That diminishes his worth by proxy.

3. Contract: we'll need to extend him and he'll command a lot of money and years, more than we'd have to pay a safety that we'd hypothetically draft.

4. Trade market: there don't seem to be reports of any other teams making offers for him, which means we're bidding against ourselves.

5. Free agency: he's a free agent next year and has already expressed his desire to play in Dallas, so one very viable alternative is to wait a year and sign him.

All this means that he's not in context worth a 1st or a 2nd, or honestly even a 3rd.

We're competing against a comp pick really. Odds are he'd net Seattle a 3rd in 2020 if he signs elsewhere in free agency. Which is generally worth a 4th in 2019.
Yea, that's why they can sit and swirl. Offering a 2nd is overpaying and yet they want to hold on to him for what?

A year of having him around as a malcontent? Spite?

I couldn't care less what it is but if they'd rather feed their pride than take a deal that is extremely beneficial to the organization it's their prerogative.

p1_

DCC 4Life

In summary, Seattle can go fuck themselves.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I could be talked into a third simply to get it done and get him in the door.

But I'm not going higher than that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We'll cave.

I figure in the next couple days, we'll sweeten the offer of the 2nd (fucking morons) with a 4th or 5th, or some dumb shit like that.

Bidding against ourselves. It's what we do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We'll cave.

I figure in the next couple days, we'll sweeten the offer of the 2nd (fucking morons) with a 4th or 5th, or some dumb shit like that.

Bidding against ourselves. It's what we do.
This is exactly right. There are no bidders besides Dallas. The Seahawks are just waiting for the Cowboys to flinch. When in reality we should have just addressed the position and moved on.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the Seahawks are driving a ridiculous bargain right now because they'd rather not play against him in a few weeks and they know they can fall back on the Cowboys offer of a 2nd at just about any time.

I'd guess the deal is done for a 2nd after we play them week 3.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Seahawks are driving a ridiculous bargain right now because they'd rather not play against him in a few weeks and they know they can fall back on the Cowboys offer of a 2nd at just about any time.

I'd guess the deal is done for a 2nd after we play them week 3.
In reality our offer should go down as the season goes on. You're getting less playing time out of the player in his prime. So it only figures that the value of the trade would be less. You're talking right now about 16 games before we could presumably sign him. The longer they wait the less the point in trading for him.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In reality our offer should go down as the season goes on. You're getting less playing time out of the player in his prime. So it only figures that the value of the trade would be less. You're talking right now about 16 games before we could presumably sign him. The longer they wait the less the point in trading for him.
Agreed but I'd assume that isn't the reality with our front office.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed but I'd assume that isn't the reality with our front office.
I know, it already annoys the crap out of me that we are offering a second rounder for a player who we could have after this season. It feels like trading a second round pick for one year of service. Which is asinine in the first place.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Seattle is the team that was dumb enough to trade a 1st for Percy Garvin, so they probably don't understand why Thomas isn't worth at least that.

Top Bottom