Chatter grows about Cowboys possibly pursuing Earl Thomas

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm losing interest in this trade the more and more I see Dallas offense's struggle or lose players.

Seattle's best bet was to strike while we were feeling optimistic.
Maybe, I'd still take the chance because I think this defense could be special, if healthy, and if adding a safety of his caliber.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe, I'd still take the chance because I think this defense could be special, if healthy, and if adding a safety of his caliber.
I just hate trading away draft picks. He could very well be worth every penny of a third rounder. Again, I just hate trading away draft picks.

I would love to see Earl Thomas on this defense though. I think our defense is getting close to being elite. A true ballhawk in the secondary could certainly push us over the top on that side of the ball.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I just hate trading away draft picks. He could very well be worth every penny of a third rounder. Again, I just hate trading away draft picks.

I would love to see Earl Thomas on this defense though. I think our defense is getting close to being elite. A true ballhawk in the secondary could certainly push us over the top on that side of the ball.
Yea I go back and forth on it, it's definitely not a slam dunk but I think it'd be a calculated gamble.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
But if we cave and give up a second (or more) I'll be very unhappy.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Who's more stupid: Dallas for offering it or Seattle for rejecting it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I hope that's bullshit. Seattle needs to look around the NFL and see how safeties are being valued.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They can go fuck themselves.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Both are equally stupid. I'm not giving up more than a 3rd if I'm them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both are equally stupid. I'm not giving up more than a 3rd if I'm them.
Especially when there were lots of safety options that could have been had for free. If we wanted a safety that badly we should have gotten a free one instead of paying up the ass for a guy (Draft picks and contract combined)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Seattle but only slightly.

A 2nd would be an overpay but Seattle has to be mentally retarded to pass that deal up. They clearly aren't interested in extending him, he's probably going to sit out multiple games and when he comes back he's going to be a malcontent, and they're only going to get a comp 3rd in 2020, which would be somewhere around the 100th pick as opposed to a 2019 2nd which would probably be somewhere around 50.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
At this point I think the Seahawks pretty much know they are sending him to Dallas but want to sit on him until after Week 3 on the off-chance that another team jumps into the fray. Unless they think we're going to pull our offer (which seems unlikely if Schefter is correct) then what do they care if they trade him now or in a few weeks?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If sitting on him while he plays out the string as a malcontent is more important to them than a 2nd they can go F themselves.

Under absolutely no circumstances should we be giving up anything more than a 2nd, which is an overpay to begin with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If sitting on him while he plays out the string as a malcontent is more important to them than a 2nd they can go F themselves.

Under absolutely no circumstances should we be giving up anything more than a 2nd, which is an overpay to begin with.
Agreed. I feel like Seattle is just trying to milk Dallas for more. Basically making them bid against themselves. Should have never offered anything more than a third in the first place.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Is there some bad blood that I'm not aware of? Still pissed at Earl for the locker room thing last year?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Is there some bad blood that I'm not aware of? Still pissed at Earl for the locker room thing last year?
Probably, yes, the fact that we play them week 3 and that Richard is kind of a co-DC is probably part of it as well.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Probably simply are unwilling to let him call his shots. They feel like they have a contract in place for him and he should honor it. They probably are taking a moral stance, like, you signed this, you honor it, we know you want to go to Dallas, we know it's probably the best compensation we can get to trade you there, but if we start letting players hold us hostage it creates a bad precedent.

Fine, that's their prerogative. I'm not giving them a first. I wouldn't even have signed up for a second. They can hold onto him and he'll walk.

If we feel like investing the contract in him, he will be ours after this season, though I don't know what contract I will want to give a 30 year old safety.

Top Bottom