Dez Bryant released

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So why don't they want to specify the 'inconsistencies"? What harm could come from telling the fanbase the painful detail of what we all watched last season. Im guessing its not a flattering analysis, so we won't go into all that.
Maybe they're just not wanting to publicly shit on him while he's still trying to get a job? Having another team call and ask about him off the record is one thing. Just putting it out into the media is another. Start doing that to players, and good luck ever getting somebody wanting to sign here as a FA again. You'd have to massively overpay to get them to even consider.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So why don't they want to specify the 'inconsistencies"? What harm could come from telling the fanbase the painful detail of what we all watched last season. Im guessing its not a flattering analysis, so we won't go into all that.
I think Jerry made it pretty clear that he doesn't want the coaches to talk badly about Dez. Jerry has gone out of his way to basically praise the guy. But clearly our coaches didn't think he played well at all last year.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe they're just not wanting to publicly shit on him while he's still trying to get a job? Having another team call and ask about him off the record is one thing. Just putting it out into the media is another. Start doing that to players, and good luck ever getting somebody wanting to sign here as a FA again. You'd have to massively overpay to get them to even consider.
Exactly. Kind of retarded.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I will say that when they say "inconsistencies" I think they mean "effort".

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I will say that when they say "inconsistencies" I think they mean "effort".
Focus is more the issue than effort. I think Bryant is badly in denial about with decline as an athlete. Instead of realizing it was inevitable and taking steps to be a more technical player (which he certainly has the athleticism to do), he let it get into his head and frustrate him. He's like an aging beauty queen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Jerry made it pretty clear that he doesn't want the coaches to talk badly about Dez. Jerry has gone out of his way to basically praise the guy. But clearly our coaches didn't think he played well at all last year.
Its funny, if the truth is spoken publicly, its deemed to be talking badly about Bryant. As if it's disrespectful to his professionalism.
To say that his play declined, and that his contract was out of line with his current skill set doesn't have to be seen as a slight. Its just fact.
Bottom line: not only did he not re-sign with the team, he didn't get an offer. If that doesn't speak ill of the guy, I don't know what does.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I think it's a double edged sword. His abilities were obviously declining but he was also released after free agency began when he had a better chance to sign with another team if he had been let go of earlier. I don't feel badly for him, he made more money last year than I'll make in my life and whatever he did with it is his business, not mine.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I think it's a double edged sword. His abilities were obviously declining but he was also released after free agency began when he had a better chance to sign with another team if he had been let go of earlier. I don't feel badly for him, he made more money last year than I'll make in my life and whatever he did with it is his business, not mine.

This sounds kinda silly, but I wonder if they didn't decide to cut him once they see how bad the Amazon show made him look.

If it was truly about his ability, it could have been done much sooner.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wonder if they would have gotten rid of him if they knew Witten was gonna retire.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This sounds kinda silly, but I wonder if they didn't decide to cut him once they see how bad the Amazon show made him look.

If it was truly about his ability, it could have been done much sooner.
They were too busy planning and taking their vacation.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I wonder if they would have gotten rid of him if they knew Witten was gonna retire.
I think they were on the fence until the Hurns signing. That was a player who it was not obvious would be available before free agency. Still, they waited too long and did him ugly cutting him like that. Can you picture Dez trying to convince a powerless Skeletor he should stay while the paperwork’s already signed? Ouch.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
My big problem with that sequence wasn't Dez being a brat (although he was), the big problem was Dooley's reaction. He fucking apologized.

And it's not just Dez, they're like that with all the star players at the very least.

Look at the sequence when Zeke overslept and was late. Gary Brown was basically like, "that's all right zeke. You tired? I'll lighten your load today."

I don't get a strong sense that the coaches are in charge.
Doesn't it remind you of the back-end of the Switzer years? :lol

You can insert that 20-year old Aikman sound bite of him blowing up about the state of the Cowboys and it would fit in perfectly with today's group.

data

Forbes #1
Doesn't it remind you of the back-end of the Switzer years? :lol

You can insert that 20-year old Aikman sound bite of him blowing up about the state of the Cowboys and it would fit in perfectly with today's group.
dude. That last 45 seconds is painful to listen to.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I tried to link to that YouTube video as well but they've blocked it from being embedded on outside websites.

But yeah....that Aikman rant would be spot on with Garrett's coaching staff as well.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I tried to link to that YouTube video as well but they've blocked it from being embedded on outside websites.

But yeah....that Aikman rant would be spot on with Garrett's coaching staff as well.
You can leave it embedded and people can just click on "view this video on Youtube".

Smitty

DCC 4Life
dude. That last 45 seconds is painful to listen to.

Heartbreaking. So many feels.

I'd personally pack Garrett's bags if you could show me another Jimmy Johnson.

I will never really "forgive" (and I put that in quotes because at the end of the day, it's just entertainment), the organization for how they handled the whole thing.

Yes, Jimmy may have wanted out personally. He may have wanted out even if Jerry bent over backwards for him. But maybe you also convince him to stay another year or two. Drive a Brinx truck full of money up to his house, give him a blank check.

And if he still leaves, or if he leaves a year or two later, then I still can't forgive Jerry for how badly he botched the next coach. We really wasted the remaining prime of three All Time players under Switzer. We really did.

I just cringe to think about, if we had a tight ship and a good coach, there is no out of control team. Sure, they are still partying like they did under Jimmy, but he keeps it under control. Maybe Irvin still gets suspended, but Jimmy would have reigned it in with the other guys. Jimmy would have found Patrick Surtain and Sam Madison and Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor to add to our defense as guys like Haley, Norton, Brown, Everett, etc.

We probably would have drafted Randy Moss in 1998.

Ugh.

Can you imagine adding Thomas, Taylor, Madison, and Moss to the late 90's Cowboys? Might have been a LOT different.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You will never get rid of Garrett if you are worried about getting worse. Whats worse? Staying put with this or taking a chance with the unknown. I can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure everybody was panning the Pederson hire. I dont need a couple more years of the same disappointment to know its time to move on regardless.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There's no need to have that entire argument again.

Just saying, it's too bad.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jeez poor Aikman. He's so mad he's about to cry. That is some frustration.

Top Bottom