Dez Bryant released

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Posting this because it literally made me laugh out loud.

Yeah but 2019 is looking wide open and we got several All Pros to resign.

$81 million in space for 2019. Likely less once we resign Martin.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Posting this because it literally made me laugh out loud.

You just have to tease us, don't you?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah but 2019 is looking wide open and we got several All Pros to resign.

$81 million in space for 2019. Likely less once we resign Martin.
That's the point. Take the dead money now. The move still frees up 8 mil in cap space. And then it clears up a shit ton of cap space for next year. Dez was going to count 16 mil against the cap again next year. No reason to be upset by the dead cap number this season. It's better to have that dead cap than to have an average WR getting another 12 mil from us.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
/dezphotoshoppedoverquincy

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And by the way I don't think this forces out hand at receiver in the draft either. I think Hurns, Williams, Beasley and Thompson is not a horrible top 4 Wr's. It's not ideal but certainly the way our offense is set up those 4 guys should be able to get the job done. We absolutely should add a really good rookie WR or 2 to the group but I don't think this mean we have to take a guy in the first round. If we didn't have Hurns that may be different. But with Hurns we have the luxury of not needing a WR to step in and start right away. Now obviously someone like Ridley could step in right away and contribute. But I also think there are second and third round receivers in this draft who could step in and contribute. Look at the Rams last year as an example.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
And by the way I don't think this forces out hand at receiver in the draft either. I think Hurns, Williams, Beasley and Thompson is not a horrible top 4 Wr's. It's not ideal but certainly the way our offense is set up those 4 guys should be able to get the job done. We absolutely should add a really good rookie WR or 2 to the group but I don't think this mean we have to take a guy in the first round. If we didn't have Hurns that may be different. But with Hurns we have the luxury of not needing a WR to step in and start right away. Now obviously someone like Ridley could step in right away and contribute. But I also think there are second and third round receivers in this draft who could step in and contribute. Look at the Rams last year as an example.
I've heard you make that argument but it really doesn't make me happy cause then I won't get my pet cat(s). So you're wrong. Capiche?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Has there been word yet if Jerry got a napkin and drew a circle with a line through it?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard you make that argument but it really doesn't make me happy cause then I won't get my pet cat(s). So you're wrong. Capiche?
Yeah I get it. I mean I really love Ridley and Moore too.

But I also look at it and think, if I really need a guard and WR to make this offense elite. Which am I better off doing. Taking Hernandez in the first and a different WR later. Or taking Moore in the first and a different guard later? And looking at this draft I think I can get a future stud WR outside of the first and Hernandez. If I get a stud WR in the first, I'm not sure I really like any other guards all that much later in the draft. That's the only reason I'm looking at it that way. And it mostly has to do with the fact that I don't love the depth of the guard position in this draft. I'd take Pettis and Hernandez for example (Or Washington, Sutton, Chark, Christian Kirk). I'll take that all day over Moore and Braden Smith for comparison sake.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

NFLN is really going to run a 12 hour Dez-a-thon tomorrow to commemorate Dez's career in Dallas.

He really is getting the Jerry Rice GOAT treatment.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

NFLN is really going to run a 12 hour Dez-a-thon tomorrow to commemorate Dez's career in Dallas.

My mistake. It's going to be 13 hours. Get those DVRs ready, gents.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I always loved Dez but yeah it's getting a little crazy. Shit I don't even think they did this much when Megatron retired.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, but Lions vs Cowboys. There you go.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I think the coaches clearly were not happy with what he did last year on the field. I think he mailed it in and would even admit to that to some extent. I think our coaches are certainly at fault for not using him better as well but at some point you just have to realize, it's counter productive to continue to pay a guy 16 mil and then have your QB continue to fail miserably throwing him the ball even compared to what he is doing throwing to all of the other receivers. I wonder what Dak's QB rating would have been if you pulled out all of his attempts to Dez.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah I think the coaches clearly were not happy with what he did last year on the field. I think he mailed it in and would even admit to that to some extent. I think our coaches are certainly at fault for not using him better as well but at some point you just have to realize, it's counter productive to continue to pay a guy 16 mil and then have your QB continue to fail miserably throwing him the ball even compared to what he is doing throwing to all of the other receivers. I wonder what Dak's QB rating would have been if you pulled out all of his attempts to Dez.
He's on NFLN right now calling out the coaches "Garrett guys were behind it" paraphrasing

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Top Bottom