Dez Bryant released

shane

DCC 4Life
Dez was given way too much leeway too early in his career. He is what Terrell Owens might have become had he not had strong coaching and Jerry Rice as an influence early on.

Some real coaching and guidance could have made Dez into a Hall of Fame player.
TO had an out of this world work ethic. Dez not so much.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
No doubt Dez was a disruptive force. Undoubtedly a good thing he's gone. But what if he's right about Garrett and his offense and play calling being contributors to the lack of success?

I've heard too many stories about defensive coordinators and defensive play callers on the field knowing in advance what Garrett would do in a given situation. Dez is not to blame for that.

It doesn't matter if the team is "coming together" if the coaches still suck.
I always go back to the 2013 Packers game as the most accurate representation of the Garrett era in Dallas.

As we all know the Cowboys rushing attack was unstoppable that day. Murray and the other RBs were probably averaging close to 7 ypc, which is insane in the NFL. Then inexplicably the Cowboys abandoned the run in the 2nd half, opening the door for the Packers to make a huge comeback.

I bring that up because after the game Green Bay defensive players literally said they had no idea why the Cowboys stopped running the ball but they were glad we did because they didn't have an answer for the Cowboys running game.

That's what I'll always remember Garrett for.....a coach who couldn't get out of his own way and who regularly outsmarted himself.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I always go back to the 2013 Packers game as the most accurate representation of the Garrett era in Dallas.

As we all know the Cowboys rushing attack was unstoppable that day. Murray and the other RBs were probably averaging close to 7 ypc, which is insane in the NFL. Then inexplicably the Cowboys abandoned the run in the 2nd half, opening the door for the Packers to make a huge comeback.

I bring that up because after the game Green Bay defensive players literally said they had no idea why the Cowboys stopped running the ball but they were glad we did because they didn't have an answer for the Cowboys running game.

That's what I'll always remember Garrett for.....a coach who couldn't get out of his own way and who regularly outsmarted himself.
That game was the day Garrett should have been removed. No excuse for that kind of pop warner type coaching. It would be one thing if it was something different but that was about as basic a decision as you could have. 5 years later and I'm still being tortured. Too bad its going to be at least 2 more seasons of foregone conclusions.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

That game was the day Garrett should have been removed. No excuse for that kind of pop warner type coaching. It would be one thing if it was something different but that was about as basic a decision as you could have. 5 years later and I'm still being tortured. Too bad its going to be at least 2 more seasons of foregone conclusions.
And this occurred after he already had time management blunders where he iced his own kicker at Arizona and then followed that up not even a full year later when he inexplicably let 14 seconds run off the clock at Baltimore and settled for a 50 yard FG as if it were a given.

And this is what I was referring to in my earlier post about Dez's rant. It's ridiculous that they are so quick to pull the trigger on players who they feel are having a negative impact on the unit, then point out those negatives in interviews months later, but never ever address the main culprit and one constant in said unit -- the head coach.

He gets a free pass every single season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Here's the game I'm talking about:

Fast forward to 3:10

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Yep. Anyone who watched that game saw that the Packers simply could not get the Cowboys offense off the field in the first half. How many 3'rd and 1's and 3rd and 2's did the offense have...it was incredible. The Cowboys could either run for the first down, or complete a short pass, and the chains and clock kept moving and the Packers D were gassed. GASSED.

Then, Garrett started coaching.

:picard

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Yep. That's the game that soured me on Garrett, too. Until then, I was holding out hope for him. But that shit was inexcusable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this .gif of Murray was when we took a sack on 3rd and short. He was not pleased with the play calling, either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

He really is a truly horrific coach.

I think he did something similar against the Bengals that year but Bailey ended up hitting the FG to win it so people don't remember it as well.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Garrett hopes we forget his costly on the job fuck ups. You notice they tend to repeat themselves over the years, they never get eliminated. Thus you can count on them to repeat themselves in similar form and fashion this coming season. Its all a part of the process.

1bigfan13

Staff member

:picard

Urrghh....that was so bad. Romo knew better as well but ultimately the HC is responsible for that kind of stupidity.

There are far too many moments like this scattered throughout Garrett's career. You can usually count on 2-4 of these moments from him each year. Hurts even more when you consider the number of times the Cowboys have missed the playoffs by a game or two.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He really is a truly horrific coach.

I think he did something similar against the Bengals that year but Bailey ended up hitting the FG to win it so people don't remember it as well.
When Garrett and Linehan botched the playcalling towards the end of the Seahawks game last year, I cheered like crazy when Bailey missed that short FG. I didn't want him letting them off the hook.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yep. That's the game that soured me on Garrett, too. Until then, I was holding out hope for him. But that shit was inexcusable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this .gif of Murray was when we took a sack on 3rd and short. He was not pleased with the play calling, either.
Right game, wrong play.

This was right after Tony Romo threw his 1st interception of the 4th quarter.

2nd and 6 and Murray had just picked up 4 on 1st down and we had the lead.... And yet Jason Garrett kept calling pass plays.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Check the first Pats/Giants Super Bowl— nearly an identical pass/run ratio called in a game lost by arrogant playcalling.

Detroit in 2012. The 2013 Denver game where we call 17 pass plays in a row. No QB can endure those streaks without some kind of negative play.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Cowboys take another dig at Bryant

As Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and his son, Stephen, continue to tiptoe around former team employee Dez Bryant, other team employees will from time to time take digs at Dez.

Receivers coach Sanjay Lal, who previously said he saw “inconsistencies” in Bryant’s game last year, made a negative observation about Bryant’s skill set while answering the question of whether the Cowboys will have receivers who can get down the field and go up and get the ball.

“I would think so,” Lal said, via Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I would rather have down-the-field guys that go run down a ball and score than live in the back-shoulder world. We want touchdowns. We have some of those.”

Dez, of course, lived in the “back-shoulder world.” And Dez hadn’t caught many of those throws over the last two years, possibly because it’s not a throw quarterback Dak Prescott is comfortable making. Lal hopes to help Prescott become comfortable by using precision route-runners who will always be in the spot where they’re supposed to be.

“[Then Dak] can throw blind,” Lal said. “He doesn’t have to double hitch. He can cut the ball loose. We are always preaching cut it loose on time. How can you do that if you don’t have confidence in your receivers? It’s our job to make it that way.”

Of course, it’s not Lal’s job to make Dez upset with express or implied shots at his flaws. That will only inflame the situation, making Dez more likely to continue to find ways to complain about the way he was treated in Dallas, starting with the decision to not cut him until the middle of April.

The longer it takes for Dez to find a new NFL job, the greater the chance that this situation will get uglier and uglier. The more that Cowboys employees say things about Dez that aren’t flattering, the more he’ll be inclined to respond in kind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys take another dig at Bryant

As Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and his son, Stephen, continue to tiptoe around former team employee Dez Bryant, other team employees will from time to time take digs at Dez.

Receivers coach Sanjay Lal, who previously said he saw “inconsistencies” in Bryant’s game last year, made a negative observation about Bryant’s skill set while answering the question of whether the Cowboys will have receivers who can get down the field and go up and get the ball.

“I would think so,” Lal said, via Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I would rather have down-the-field guys that go run down a ball and score than live in the back-shoulder world. We want touchdowns. We have some of those.”

Dez, of course, lived in the “back-shoulder world.” And Dez hadn’t caught many of those throws over the last two years, possibly because it’s not a throw quarterback Dak Prescott is comfortable making. Lal hopes to help Prescott become comfortable by using precision route-runners who will always be in the spot where they’re supposed to be.

“[Then Dak] can throw blind,” Lal said. “He doesn’t have to double hitch. He can cut the ball loose. We are always preaching cut it loose on time. How can you do that if you don’t have confidence in your receivers? It’s our job to make it that way.”

Of course, it’s not Lal’s job to make Dez upset with express or implied shots at his flaws. That will only inflame the situation, making Dez more likely to continue to find ways to complain about the way he was treated in Dallas, starting with the decision to not cut him until the middle of April.

The longer it takes for Dez to find a new NFL job, the greater the chance that this situation will get uglier and uglier. The more that Cowboys employees say things about Dez that aren’t flattering, the more he’ll be inclined to respond in kind.
That's a pretty big stretch to call what he said a dig at Dez.

Top Bottom