Dez Bryant released

p1_

DCC 4Life
Word is Cleveland is possibly interested.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dez needs a gunslinger qb like Romo that realized no matter how much he bitched at him he wasn't going to run the correct route so he had to perfect the jumpball with him, and I have serious doubts even a top tier qb could do that with Dez in their first season together
That’s right. Sandlot style fit both their modes but Romo could adjust to most any enviornment. Bryant may be able to become diciplined and if he lands on a team I think he will do his best to fall in line.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Quote from Dez on the Garrett/Linehan play calling brain trust:

"... garbage ass play calling. Everybody lined up in the same spot for 17 weeks."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quote from Dez on the Garrett/Linehan play calling brain trust:

"... garbage ass play calling. Everybody lined up in the same spot for 17 weeks."
I at least agree with him on this. It was just straight lazy coaching last year. So far in practice this at least seems to have changed. But Dez is dumb to be saying it. Good luck getting a coaching staff who wants to bring that on.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think Dez is right about being made a scapegoat and I'm sure we all agree that he's 100% right about the shitty offensive design and play calling.

That's what bothered me about his release. It's always someone or something else's fault for why the offense can't do this or that or struggled with XYZ.

Whether it was Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton, Marion Barber, Roy Williams, Dez, etc. This front office is quick to identify when they think a particular player or thing is acting as a hindrance to the offense.

But what's the one constant in all of this? It's the same offense being run throughout that entire time and yet the Jones family won't even acknowledge in the slightest that maybe Jason Garrett needs to take a different approach in how he runs the scheme or what control he should have in it.

In fact, I think it's chicken shit that they will publicly make negative comments about former players but yet not a single thing is done, even behind the scenes, about Jason Garrett's involvement in the offense.

Having said all that, everything else Dez said serves as a prime example of why he is no longer here. He will take the slightest thing and turn it into a big deal and that reaction typically comes with a lot of wasted and negative energy.

We saw examples of this on the All or Nothing show and now you are seeing it here again even though he's been out of work for months now.

Sean Lee was spot on when he talked about Dez's lack of accountability. If he was aware in any way of what it is that turned the Cowboys off to him and why teams have not been quick to acquire his services, then he would not have reacted the way he did the other day nor would he have thrown so many people under the bus that didn't deserve to be.

He just doesn't get it.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I at least agree with him on this. It was just straight lazy coaching last year. So far in practice this at least seems to have changed. But Dez is dumb to be saying it. Good luck getting a coaching staff who wants to bring that on.
First, I don't know how you characterize the Garrett/Linehan coaching effort as "lazy" versus just plain bad -- predictable, unimaginative, conservative to a fault, candy-ass. Second, I don't know how you confine it to one year. The knock on Garrrett has always been how plain-vanilla and predictable his offensive scheme is -- if you can call it a scheme. Third how do coaches who have lacked balls and creativity suddenly, in the summer of 2018, become something they've never been?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
First, I don't know how you characterize the Garrett/Linehan coaching effort as "lazy" versus just plain bad -- predictable, unimaginative, conservative to a fault, candy-ass. Second, I don't know how you confine it to one year. The knock on Garrrett has always been how plain-vanilla and predictable his offensive scheme is -- if you can call it a scheme. Third how do coaches who have lacked balls and creativity suddenly, in the summer of 2018, become something they've never been?
That’s probably right and why I think Dak will continue to struggle especially in the early part of the season. He isn’t seasoned enough to be an independent play scheme quarterback.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its lazy because it takes hours of game planning and scheming to move players around and take advantage of a defense. The lazy way to do it is to run the same plays you always do and not move anybody around. It takes zero prep and work. You wake up and you just do the same thing you have always done for the last 30 years. That's why I define it as lazy. The coaches get into a comfort zone and don't want to do anything new or different.

And I say things look different because we are doing totally new things with the receivers. Something that resulted from a changing of the guard at receiver and even more so a new receivers coach. When I hear about Beasley moving around, lining up outside and running routes we've never had him run before that's how I arrive at that conclusion. I think Dooley did very little except go through the motions.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Its lazy because it takes hours of game planning and scheming to move players around and take advantage of a defense. The lazy way to do it is to run the same plays you always do and not move anybody around. It takes zero prep and work. You wake up and you just do the same thing you have always done for the last 30 years. That's why I define it as lazy. The coaches get into a comfort zone and don't want to do anything new or different.

And I say things look different because we are doing totally new things with the receivers. Something that resulted from a changing of the guard at receiver and even more so a new receivers coach. When I hear about Beasley moving around, lining up outside and running routes we've never had him run before that's how I arrive at that conclusion. I think Dooley did very little except go through the motions.
Not to belabor the point, but how does a lazy coach who does zero prep and work stay as the head coach for eight years?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not to belabor the point, but how does a lazy coach who does zero prep and work stay as the head coach for eight years?
Oh I'm sure he does work. But there are tireless coaches and there are ones who go home at 5 every day. Zimmer for example was a guy who worked around the clock.

And you keep a job by being best buds with your boss. Just like any job. No one wants to fire their friend.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ummm. Because he won that thanksgiving day game years ago!

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I've heard how the new WR receivers coach is very different from Dooley. But if Dooley was just going through the motions, how does he stay the WR coach for 4 years?

Of course, Dooley was part of the Saban/Garrett/Linehan family tree. Whatever Saban taught his proteges it must not have included how to create an innovative offensive scheme.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He's gone .. but still causing dissension. Unbelievable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about that. If anything he kind of has all the Cowboys guys coming together at this point. I'd say he is a bit of a unifying force in a way because it gives everyone a guy to look at as the problem.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
No doubt Dez was a disruptive force. Undoubtedly a good thing he's gone. But what if he's right about Garrett and his offense and play calling being contributors to the lack of success?

I've heard too many stories about defensive coordinators and defensive play callers on the field knowing in advance what Garrett would do in a given situation. Dez is not to blame for that.

It doesn't matter if the team is "coming together" if the coaches still suck.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt Dez was a disruptive force. Undoubtedly a good thing he's gone. But what if he's right about Garrett and his offense and play calling being contributors to the lack of success?

I've heard too many stories about defensive coordinators and defensive play callers on the field knowing in advance what Garrett would do in a given situation. Dez is not to blame for that.

It doesn't matter if the team is "coming together" if the coaches still suck.
*spoiler alert*

Our coaches do suck. But luckily the dominant running game can cover up some of that.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around

Top Bottom