Dez Bryant released

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Exactly, I think we all know Garrett is not a "beat you with Xs and Y's" coach. He came of age in Dallas in the early 90's. We won a Super Bowl by calling lead right 8 times in a row against Buffalo. Just go out and fucking do it and they can't stop you.

And I know everyone is gonna complain about the pass happiness, but the fact is, SINCE we got the offensive line to do it, with the exception of an arguable period of time in 2013 when not all the OL pieces were in place yet, he has stuck to his run-run-run first philosophy since he acquired the horses to do so (to the extent that "run-happiness" really defines the Cowboys to their detriment more than pass-happiness now).

It's pretty apparent that Bryant cannot be trusted. The film is out there and it's why no one wants him now. All star athleticism. Ten cent head. Unreliable hands, too.

He just had a ridiculous habit of dropping passes, fumbling, or having the smallest thing blow up the biggest plays, at the worst times. The guy just wasn't aware, he wasn't clutch, he wasn't reliable, he wasn't present, and it's unfortunate, cause if we had an engaged, healthy Dez, I think this team might be a Super Bowl contender, but that player may not exist anymore, and all you are left with is a guy who is hanging your struggling, learning QB out to dry 3-4 times a game.
That's fair to say during the final few years of his career but from 2011-2014 he was easily one of the top 10 WRs in football. He made plenty of clutch catches and was plenty reliable during that time.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yep it's starting become clear why Dez had to absolutely be booted off the team. Honestly it was pretty clear from the clip of him ripping into the WR's coach that Dez was a horrible influence on the team. I'm glad he is gone. His skills were not good enough to offset his negative impact on the team. Especially while making 17 mil a season.

We are better off without him. It's sad because Dez was one of my favorite players. But he is really starting to tarnish some of the feelings Cowboys fans have had towards him and on top of that he is killing his own career with this shit. Sort of shows what is really important to him. And it's not playing football and winning games.
I agree with all of this. Like you said, it was time for him to go because his production was no longer good enough to offset all the other baggage.

And as Booze mentioned, both things are true in that the playcalling was garbage and Dez was awful for much of his last few years in Dallas. It just sucks that in Dallas the players are the only ones who have to pay for their sub par skills/production with their jobs. "Ultimate decision makers" and coaches are given free pass to waste the careers of All-Pro talent such as Dez.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If he was becoming a locker room cancer and a disrupting force on the sideline, he had to go. He's not the first NFL player like that and won't be the last.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez needs to be on a team with a veteran established QB that can put him in his place. I love Dak but he was never going to be that guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dez needs to be on a team with a veteran established QB that can put him in his place. I love Dak but he was never going to be that guy.
I don't think a guy like Rodgers or Brady would tolerate his shit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree with all of this. Like you said, it was time for him to go because his production was no longer good enough to offset all the other baggage.

And as Booze mentioned, both things are true in that the playcalling was garbage and Dez was awful for much of his last few years in Dallas. It just sucks that in Dallas the players are the only ones who have to pay for their sub par skills/production with their jobs. "Ultimate decision makers" and coaches are given free pass to waste the careers of All-Pro talent such as Dez.
The biggest factor for Bryant’s production and drop off in skills is Romo’s absense and departure. He could hook up but Dak wasn’t skilled enough yet to get the best out of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The biggest factor for Bryant’s production and drop off in skills is Romo’s absense and departure. He could hook up but Dak wasn’t skilled enough yet to get the best out of him.
Clearly the rest of the NFL disagrees. Otherwise he would have a job with a "skilled" QB.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It's hard to say that he was "never going to be that guy". Dak was a young QB in his 1st and 2nd season surrounded by highly decorated vets like Witten, Dez, Romo, Lee, etc. So I can understand him not assuming more of a leadership role those first two years.

Also, people covering the team rave about Dak's leadership. The term "natural leader" comes up quite often when they talk about Dak. So I think we're probably going to see more active leadership from Dak going forward. We got a glimpse of that with his anthem comments the other day.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's hard to say that he was "never going to be that guy". Dak was a young QB in his 1st and 2nd season surround by highly decorated vets like Witten, Dez, Romo, Lee, etc. So I can understand him not assuming more of a leadership role those first two years.

Also, people covering the team rave about Dak's leadership. The term "natural leader" comes up quite often when they talk about Dak. So I think we're probably going to see more active leadership from Dak going forward. We got a glimpse of that with his anthem comments the other day.
I don't think he would ever be that guy with Dez. Now in a few years with a younger receiver it would be a totally different dynamic. Romo was able to handle Dez because Romo was the QB before Dez ever become a star.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think he would ever be that guy with Dez. Now in a few years with a younger receiver it would be a totally different dynamic. Romo was able to handle Dez because Romo was the QB before Dez ever become a star.
That does make a difference.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm sure he will be with a team. But the market value has shown he isn't valued much.
Maybe so but it has yet to be revealed whether a quality QB will make him productive again regardless of his value in the market place now. If he makes it back as a productive receiver the money will follow. The question to be answered yet is regarding can another QB get him back to top performer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe so but it has yet to be revealed whether a quality QB will make him productive again regardless of his value in the market place now. If he makes it back as a productive receiver the money will follow. The question to be answered yet is regarding can another QB get him back to top performer.
My bet is against it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The typical narrative is that he will have a bounce back year to "prove" people wrong and then return to the form that got him in this position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The typical narrative is that he will have a bounce back year to "prove" people wrong and then return to the form that got him in this position.
Yeah I doubt he will. His attitude right now is that none of last year was his fault. I'm sure his opinion is that if he plays like he did last year he will be a star. Which is why he won't work his ass off to have that bounce back year.

data

Forbes #1
He got exposed by Josh Norman and Janoros Jenkins in that famed Twitter war 2 seasons ago. Hasn’t done shit since.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Dez needs a gunslinger qb like Romo that realized no matter how much he bitched at him he wasn't going to run the correct route so he had to perfect the jumpball with him, and I have serious doubts even a top tier qb could do that with Dez in their first season together

Top Bottom